2 weeks and still not in ketosis

I know there is plenty of similiar posts here, and I’ve read them all.
I’m 29 yo female with PCOS. Despite of it, my insulin and glucose levels are within a normal range, so I’m not sure whether it plays any role.
Still, I was having really unpleasant reaction to carbs for last 10 years. I’m extremely dependant of carbs - wasn’t able to go more than 3 hours without food. When I was forced to have longer periods without eating, my brain was just shutting down. I wasn’t able to think at all. And finally, when I eat after such break, I have terrible, terrible headaches, to the point of throwing up.
Every time I’ve tried to limit my calories or carbs in general (my diet was FULL of carbs, lots of bread, pasta, sweets) I ended up with severe hypoglycemia, headaches, unable to do ANYTHING, just laying in bed with my eyes closed.
Obviously I visited many doctors, but because of my normal blood tests everyone was ignoring my problems.
I decided to try keto, as I came to conclusion limiting carbs isn’t a way and I still suffer with reactive hypoglycemia while doing so - I must get rid of them completely.
Today is a 14th day.
I eat meat, occasionally dairy, and eggs. I drink kale shake every two days.
I’m counting absolutely everything, and because I eat 3 times a day it’s quite easy to count everything and be sure I’m never over 20 grams of carbs. First days were terrible, my hypoglycemia was stronger than ever and I was completely unable to do anything - had to stay at home. Now, it’s better - I feel almost normal. Two days ago I was really sore, had terrible knee pain, I drank lost of water with salt and it went away.
I’ve lost lots of weight. I had problems with water weight, I was bloated all the time and all water seemed to go away. So everything is great, right?
Not exactly. I’m still totally dependant of glucose. Between meals, when I have longer breaks, my brain just stops working. Yesterday I ate salmon with sesame and salad with olive oil - lots of fat, very satisfying. I had to have longer break before dinner and I almost thrown up, my hypoglycemia was so bad. When I finally ate (eggs with little cheese and kale shake) I had terrible headache. I’ve read everywhere that when you eat under 20 g of carbs you are in ketosis.
But am I really? If I still have all this symptoms? My energy is also very low.

(Jay eidelberg) #2

how are you testing for ketones? some people could take 6 weeks or longer to become fat adapted. what are you numbers when your hypo? when you eat the kale shake how many carbs is that? better to eat food then drink it as your body can absorb the carbs and fiber together slowly. keep at it it will get better

Real good way to get into ketosis in 24 hours is ground beef and water. If you eat ground beef and drink water you should get into ketosis pretty quickly. If your not in ketosis in 48 hours of meat and water I would be shocked.

Thanks, I could try it. Can I add spices and soy sauce to beef? :slight_smile:

Most spices are definitely ok.

Traditional soy should be OK - but if it’s some western industrial global diet version then check the bottle carefully. They seem to put sugar and or wheat in everything (usually hiding under different names). At least check the carb count

(Cathy) #7

I’m 3 weeks in to my keto diet and keep getting discouraged because my pee strips say I’m moving in a little and then I seem to get thrown out again for some reason. Today there is a little more movement in the right direction though :-). Just a thought though - I too have hypoglycaemia and the worst thing I can have is shakes/smoothies - everything just hits your bloodstream too quickly. As @ [Jayin28721] says I would eat your carbs rather than drink them.

I don’t think that would be a problem but me personally I would stick to basic garlic powder salt and pepper just for the first 24 hours Soy has hidden wheat in it but if your not looking to do an elimination diet and soy isn’t a problem for you then it should be fine. As long as your condiments are zero carb you should be ok…Hope that helps. I got into ketosis in 24 hours with just meat water coffee with cream only …but it’s possible it could take two days. I personally find carnivore easier then Keto bc I would suck at carb counting and there’s so many hidden carbs in stuff it would be way to easy for me to go over. Let us know how it goes and if it works! Cheers!

(Ken) #9

The issue is not ketosis, but lipolysis. Ketosis is only a small part of Lipolysis. It merely happens to be the easiest test for lipolysis.

From your description, which are typical llipogenic hormonal resistance withdrawal reactions, you’re doing fine. If you’re counting calories or using some type of calculator, stop it. Worry about the adaptation first, eliminate the negative effects, and don’t chase after either calories or ketones. Just eat plenty of meat and fat until you feel normal. After that, you can decide if you want to make adjustments.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #10

I agree if you’re still feeling the symptoms of hypoglycemia between meals you may not be fully fat adapted. This happened to me in the beginning and I allowed myself something like pork cracklins or other zero or low carb snacks in between meals. Be sure you’re hydrated and getting enough electrolytes every single day. In the beginning I had to have a cup of chicken broth between breakfast and lunch or I felt like crap long before it was time to eat lunch. It filled my belly and added salt. Four months in and I don’t need it and often skip lunch with zero dips and fogginess. It took me a good six weeks before I was completely fat adapted. I’d have good and bad days. Have back up plans and low carb snacks until you don’t need them.

(Keto butts drive me nuts) #11

I had little color changes on the pee sticks I was using. Moved on to precision xtra blood ketone tester. The test strips are about a dollar per strip. Way more accurate!

(Cathy) #12

I think I’ll have to do that. I have all the signs I’m moving in to ketosis but strips are showing nothing. Thank you.

(Dave Asher) #13

Hi, newby here.
I have been following Keto for 10 days and have stuck to it bang on. I have had single-figure carbs for the whole time but still not in Ketosis.
I initially tested this with the strips but recently bought a decent monitor. It’s showing only 1.2 mmol/l.
I must be doing something wrong? Can anyone help please?
Thanks in advance

(mole person) #14

1.2 mmol is very good. Nutritional ketosis starts at .5 mmol. You are doing very well. :grinning:

(Davy) #15

Didn’t see anything about your taking good sodium or potassium.
Get some Real Salt or Himalayan Pink Salt or Sea Salt (preference in that order) and take at least 3500mg per day, or that your total of sodium is 3500mg.
Then if you can, get a brand called No Salt, or some Potassium Chloride. (both are potassiums) And take at from 3500mg.
Probably would help also if you got some Magnesium, best for now might be CALM, in cherry or orange flavor, and take every night just before bed.
I think your headaches will go away…plus some other positive things will happen, like getting periods of energy on and off, until you get fat adapted.

(Dave Asher) #16

Wow!
I’ve just tested my blood and I’m now 3.5mmol. Is that OK?
Thanks all

(Keto Koala 🐨) #17

Welcome to the forum blade4life :blush:

(mole person) #18

Yes, it’s excellent. I get numbers in the low threes regularly. If you fast they can even go much higher.

(Dave Asher) #19

So it’s not dangerous or anything?

(mole person) #20

Not at all. I think it’s a problem at like 12 or something. Some people get sixes when they fast. It’s fine. Unless you’re a type 1 diabetic your ketones can’t get too high.

(Dave Asher) #21

Thanks so much.
Lovin’ it!