2 POLLS: Rate YouTube doctors and influencers

(KCKO, KCFO) #22

I like both of them too. My husband who has T2D watches all of Elkberg’s stuff along with Eric Berg (not my fav, but my husband has learned a lot from those videos that have helped him a lot). I am not as keen on Dr. Boz as when she was first out there with Keto Woman podcast and stuff. She has some good info but seems to have drifted off into Sardine land lately.

(KCKO, KCFO) #23

Yes, but her videos are gold standard as far as I am concerned. No matter how well you eat, how much you exercise, you are not going to live forever. Most of us have done a lot of damage over the years to our bodies, at some point it will all catch up with us.

You just have to live the best you can with the knowledge you now have.

(Bob M) #24

This is really the Sarah Hallberg video that started it all:

This was a TED talk.

And all you have to do is read the comments to know how she affected many.

(B Creighton) #25

I am not carnivore, so although I have listened to people like Ken Berry, they are not really an influence in what I do. I would also add to the list of my regulars: Sten Eckberg, and Thomas DeLauer. I really like both of these, and they do influence my daily habits. My wife actually met Ben Bikman before she knew who he was, and I would love to meet him. I consider Dr Robert Lustig to be a hero. He was perhaps the reason I quit potato chips - upon which I lost 18 pounds in one year. Yeah, if we modeled our school lunch program on what he says, we would have almost or no obese kids.

(Michael) #26

Certainly could increase the list of good people to at least check out. Also those that others do NOT check out.

@ctviggen Sarah was the one who got me interested in keto and was certainly my initial inspiration.

The top 3 are high on my list as well, but interesting to see who others like to listen too as well.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

I initially tried to set up the poll with around 40 names, but while the software will let you enter a higher maximum number of names, it enforces a hard limit of no more than 20. Bummer!

BTW, it was a bit tricky setting up the poll, but I figured it out eventually. For anyone who’s interested in setting up a poll, start a post, then click on the gear icon in the posting window. If “Build a Poll” appears at the bottom of the menu, click on it, and try some different things. If you can’t figure it out, PM me; we’ll see if we can’t do it together.

@Naghite If you’re interested, we could see if the system will let us put more than one poll in the same thread, and have a second list of names to choose from. Whadda ya think?

(Michael) #28

I know you tried @PaulL I was just acknowledging that some good names were brought forward by others and you were not able to add those due to list restrictions Yes though, a second list could rock, if needed even in a second thread. Outside of introducing people to some names they may not have explored, it is more out of interest.

If you do make a list, I could suggest a few more names for the next poll

Anthony Chaffee
Bret Sher / metabolic mind / Chris Palmer / Georgia Ede
Aseem Malhotra
Dave Feldman
Malcolm McKendrick

Along with some already mentioned like Dr Boz and DeLaurer and others. Seems like one could make many sets of 20.

Separately kind of surprised at the votes for Berg, but that is what makes it interesting! With a few sets, could even put together a set of the most popular on this site, for fun. Kudos to you Paul for putting in the effort here.

(Alec) #29

Me too. Berg looks interesting initially, but the more you hear the less convincing he is. Also intrigued by the zero for Bart Kay. I think he’s one of the most knowledgeable in the list… the problem is that his knowledge comes with an objectionable style that makes him almost unlistenable-to (for me anyway). I have stopped watching him.

Dr Jason Fung?

(Doug) #30

Certainly. Berg does no research of his own, just copies from other people, whether it’s valid information or not. Meanwhile, he attempts to sell worthless and/or grossly overpriced ‘supplements’ to the general public, while being a Scientologist, and giving huge amounts of money to that demonstrably abusive organization.

This has come up several times before on this forum, as with many others. Sad to say, Berg got into the ‘making videos’ thing early enough to get a following, despite his approach and his often-demonstrated not knowing about what he is talking about, but rather just reading off a screen. In the end, he is just a ‘marketing effort’ aimed at gullible people, There are literally hundreds of people on YouTube that do the same thing, and better, and without being dedicated to Scientology.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #31

Yeah, I sensed early on he was just repeating stuff he’d learned from … Dr Berry possibly and others.
wasn’t he a chiropractor or something unrelated? … I don’t want to diss anyone but you might as well hear info from the horses mouth :man_shrugging:

(Alec) #32

Berg is indeed a qualified chiropractor. But it seems that in this space if you are conventionally qualified, this somehow stops you thinking more broadly. Nutritionists and dieticians are frankly just joke professions. They’ve spent years being indoctrinated in stuff that is just plain wrong.

Doctors are not nutritionally qualified, but at least they do see people who have metabolic health issues every day, and have professional experience in trying to help people get better (often unsuccessfully in the case of metabolic issues).

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #33

Funny you mention this. I’ve got an appointment tomorrow with an NHS dietician. My records will show 11 to 4.3 HbA1c and 91kg to 73kg in 4 months and I’m taking an image of today’s breakfast. Steak, sausage x4 bacon x4 egg x2 etc

(Alec) #34

Please let us know what she advises you to do and why. Best of luck.

(Bob M) #35

Yeah, show the dietician that picture of breakfast. If he/she doesn’t fall off his/her seat, you might be okay. :grinning:

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #36

Oh I can’t wait. I’ve been looking forward to this :joy: My only fear is I won’t remember the science … but who cares, the stats speak for themselves

(Robin) #37

My doc told me that he believes the best thing I have done for my heart and other issues is lose the weight. I think I have helped him understand keto and he’s now a fan.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #38

This is totally crazy, it’s insanely upside down! we are educating our Doctors! Helping them come to terms with medical concepts!
And when did I qualify and how do I charge? :joy:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

Okay, here are the names I have for the second poll:

Anthony Chaffee
Bret Sher
Metabolic Mind
Amy Berger
Chris Palmer
Georgia Ede
Aseem Malhotra
Dave Feldman
Malcolm McKendrick
Jason Fung

Any more? We’ve got room.

Also, should the second poll be in this thread (if the system allows), or in a new one?

Further, what do y’all think of the idea of a runoff poll of the top 20 from the two polls?`

(Michael) #40

Some others mentioned Annette Bozworth, Stan Eckberg, Thomas DeLauer as well, Jason Fung, maybe Amber Ohearn or Amy Berger too?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

Noted.