2 month stall

(Courtney Wickham) #1

Hey guys!
I need some guidance! I’ve been doing keto for 5 months now and the past two months have stalled completely! I’ve tried lowering my calorie intake that did nothing - I’ve lowered my carb intake to 10g and that did nothing and IF isn’t an option for me :frowning: I come from a background of serious anorexia for 6 years (being on my death bed twice) but then was forced to gain weight (they made me gained 40+ kilos) to where I actually ended up being in the overweight zone!! keto has helped me regulate my eating, teaching me amazing things about food and my body and showing me that ‘fats’ aren’t scary but IF also triggers my brain to think back to my old ways. Has anyone got any tips for me? I really want to get back into the healthy weight range (in a healthy way) but keto has just stopped working for me - the longer i stall as well the worse my mind gets and the more frustrated I am. I’m eating about 1500 calories a day (sometimes more, oops) and usually 15g - 20g of carbs a day. I work 10 hour days and I do about 16,000 steps a day. But I need help because I don’t understand what’s happening!
Thank you to anyone who can give some advice.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

You don’t describe your total weight, height, age and any other significant things like medical conditions other than you were once anorexic (still are?). Without knowing any of that, 1500 calories seems low, given the description of your typical work day. I have similar work shifts (up to 8 hours) walking/standing with no sitting allowed. I have to eat 2700 calories daily to maintain my weight. And I’m 73 years old!

On keto you don’t really need to reduce total calories very much. Maybe a couple hundred total. If you reduce the carbs down to sub-20 (and sub-10/15 is even better) and keep the fat intake up to 75-80% of total consumption you will ultimately be successful. Eating fat will accelerate your metabolism to burn more/faster.

The only caveat I must add is that women seem to have issues that men do not when trying to lose weight on keto. I am sure you will get lots of helpful responses from women about those issues. Best wishes. :hugs:

(Ethan) #3

I stalled for 15 months after losing about 50 pounds—even gained 15 back!. Then I went carnivore and started losing again—20 pounds now in 7 weeks.

(Carl Keller) #4

Not sure what your meals consist of but you can try reducing dairy and nuts. Artificial sweeteners can also make losing weight difficult due to their effect on insulin levels. Stress and some medications might also complicate weight loss. Also, try not to snack eat more during your meals.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Hi Courtney, I was watching some YouTube this morning and I really enjoyed this video, it’s pretty comprehensive and gives some great explanations for stalls and some things to try. I highly recommend it.

:cowboy_hat_face:

Also, what you’re typically eating. 1500 calories might be low. But you might also have a severely screwed up RMR from being anorexic, too. There’s a possibility that you might need to eat at maintenance on keto and try to increase your RMR for a while to heal some of that damage. I’d for sure like to hear the rest of your stats and food details. But, and I never say this, but given your history you might really get some useful knowledge out of having a professional RMR test done. You can get them at most places that do DEXA scans or BodPod testing.

Also, IF isn’t part of keto; it’s just an adjunct and you don’t need it. With your history, I think you’re right to stay away from it. But if you’re snacking between meals, try to cut that out.

Best stall breaker is fasting and changing routine.

Oh wow this helped me a lot thanks for sharing!

(Edith) #9

Another thing to think about is that there is lots of healing that goes on when a person switches to a ketogenic diet. It could be that even though you are currently not losing weight, there are internal
changes happening that you can’t see. Maybe, for example, your bone density could be improving.

I would imagine that coming from anorexia your body needs gentleness and healing.

(Maria Ortiz) #10

Share your meal plan please, if you don’t mind.