2/28/2017: Brenda & Donna's 30-Day Steak Challenge

challenge
steak

The typical range talked about in the “keto-sphere” is 1 to 2 grams protein per kg lean body mass. Lower grams protein for more sedentary, and higher values for athletic people.

(Todd Allen) #183

From the wikipedia page on Vilhjalmur Stefansson

Stefansson is also a figure of considerable interest in dietary circles, especially those with an interest in very low-carbohydrate diets. Stefansson documented the fact that the Inuit diet consisted of about 90% meat and fish; Inuit would often go 6 to 9 months a year eating nothing but meat and fish—what was perceived to have been a no-carbohydrate diet. He found that he and his fellow explorers of European descent were also perfectly healthy on such a diet. While there was considerable skepticism when he reported these findings, they have been borne out in later studies and analyses.[16] In multiple studies, it was shown that the Inuit diet was a ketogenic diet although a percentage of its calories are derived from the glycogen found in the raw meats, although the native Eskimo ate a diet of primarily stewed (boiled) fish and meats.[17][18][19] When medical authorities questioned him on his findings, he and a fellow explorer agreed to undertake a study to demonstrate that they could eat a 100% meat diet in a closely observed laboratory setting for the first several weeks, with paid observers for the rest of an entire year. Stefansson was compensated for his efforts by the American Meat Institute.[20] The results were published, and K. Andersen had developed glycosuria during this time, which is normally associated with untreated diabetes. But unlike the pathology of diabetes, in this particular study, glucosuria was present in K. A. for 4 days and coincided only with the giving of a 100 gm of glucose for a tolerance test and with the first 3 days of his pneumonia, where he received fluids and a diet rich in carbohydrate. Once that situation resolved, the glucosuria disappeared.[21] However, Stefansson and Andersen’s doctors admitted that their subjects were unable to survive on the significantly higher protein diet that had been observed in the early stages of the dietary experiment. This was due to the doctors insistence on “normal cuts” of meat that were higher in protein and lower in fat as compared to their earlier experiences on the Inuit diet, and the two white explorers could only complete the experiment by eating their own choices of meat which in effect restricted the higher protein and significantly increased the fat intake.[22]

I’ve also read that the Inuit diet worked because they ate the whole animal, in particular the fat, offal and bones/marrow and less muscle meat.

(James Lynch) #184

I’m willing to give this a shot for a month! High fat meat for a month. Anyone interested in seeing my blood panel?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #185

@James_Lynch
I know someone who is!
@DaveKeto

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #186

I START TODAY!!
LET’S DO THIS PEOPLE

@Donna.
Ready?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #187

I am looking forward to my first day of steak. Something tells me I’ll be eating more than just one.

#SUPER FUCKING HUNGRY

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #188

Dinner. First food today. Also had 1 medium Americano. That’s three shots espresso. No sweetener, no cream. No spices on the steak. Only salt to supplement sodium.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #189

Went to a specialty butcher a few towns away decided to order fourteen steaks, at 8 to 12 ounces each. Ribeyes and New York strip.
Should cost me around $140.

$13 dollars a pound. Normally $15-16 a lb.
Getting a discount from the butcher because he’s leaving on the “cap” for me. Also known as bark, or all the fat, untrimmed!!
14 steaks should last me 14 days, plus I have a week’s worth already frozen. The balance will be eaten as chuck steak or another cheap fatty cut.
Stopping at the butcher today to order my untrimmed ribeyes…

That sounds great! Enjoy!

Sirloin steak, done rare, salt and pepper, fried in tallow

(AnnaLeeThal) #192

I’m so excited to start this. My plan was to start March 1st, but I won’t be getting my labs done until next Tuesday, so I will start the 7th. This will also ensure that I don’t have a circumstance where I won’t be able to participate…by circumstance I mean a tiny embryo setting up shop. Although if that is the case I will still eat as much Fucking steak as I want.

I sent my husband to the chest freezer to grab something the other day. He came back in the house and said “so…how many steaks do you have in there anyway!”

(AnnaLeeThal) #193

Also…if I am checking my blood ketones once a day when should I do that? My inclination is upon waking, when I check my blood glucose.

As long as someone is on a ketogenic diet, upon waking is generally going to be the point of lowest blood ketones during the day, so when ketones are in range then, they will probably be throughout the rest of the day.

(AnnaLeeThal) #195

Great. That’s what I’m gonna do then. I’ve been averaging about 0.5 when I wake up right now.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #196

Found a local butcher to cut right from the primal, keeping the cap on for me.
#JOY

(dawn.hakala) #197

So I started 2 days ago… I’m not doing solid meat only but I am doing zero carbs… Steaks every day within my window… LOVE steak…I actually look forward to the start of my window…
I’m being so proactive to the point where I’m know im going out for supper next Saturday and it’s prime rib night… And I believe there is a 20oz one with my name on it :heart_eyes:

I am looking forward to your steak experiment! I will be interested to see your before and after blood values and tests.

(dawn.hakala) #199

So I have to ask… I have 2 local butchers… how did you ask them for these cuts?? I think I might have to give my butchers a call and see what they can do. These look amazing!

Day 2 another sirloin steak fried in beef tallow, salt and pepper.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #201

YOU’RE FIRED!