1st Post - Long Flights, What to Eat?

I’ve been eating Keto for the past week and in one week my results have been amazing, so amazing that we calibrated our scale and my wife did measurements twice. I’m down 12.5 lbs (4.7% body weight) and lost 9.5 inches. At first I was thinking much of it was water weight, however, I haven’t really cut down my calories or increased activity. Not complaining, just seems strange.

I’m halfway through Keto clarity and have been following their recommendation keeping total carbs under 20g a day. According to the test strips I purchased I hit optimal level (4-8) on my 3rd or 4th day which based on my reading seemed incredibly fast. Honestly, a lot of this isn’t making any sense, but the scale and inches don’t lie.

Anyway, I have a couple 15 hour flights coming-up and I don’t want to derail my progress. Any suggestion on what to pack to eat on the plane? I was thinking I could bring some cheese, hard salami (feel bad for the person sitting next to me) but I’m not really coming-up with anything. Any suggestions for plane friendly keto food?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to some reading here.

(VLC.MD) #2

Lettuce Leaf Tacos ?

I cut the lettuce up small and eat it with a spoon !

Found this post, just used wrong key words when searching prior to posting. Some decent ideas in the video posted - More business travel and events than meals at home ... so yeah. Anxiety. Tips?

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #4

Welcome to the forum/s and congratulations on your weight loss!

Some internatonal flights will not let you bring in meat products and dairy. Boiled eggs would be easy to pack and inexpensive in case needs tossing at the security gate.

(VLC.MD) #5

great point.

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #6

@VLC.MD :grin: Brain is finally not fogged up! #ketoclarity

Sorry, haven’t figured out how to quote yet. Yes, forgot about not being able to take certain items on International flights, only compounding things.

Things I’ve come-up with so far are nuts, beef jerky (may get tossed), cheese . . . I’m not worried about once I land, shouldn’t be that tough (except wine) it’s the darn flights. Maybe by then I’ll be in a position to easily do 24 hour fasts. Load up on fats night before my flights.

Usually they make you toss it before you clear customs not on the plane. Usually anything sealed that is not liquid is ok.

Why not fast during the flights? See Jason Fung’s website

Bring some nuts and sealed cheese as a backup

It will only be my 4th week on Keto, not sure if I’ll be at that point yet, thought did cross my mind though.

Being a meal to eat at the airport, after you’ve checked your bags and before going through TSA. Then you won’t be starving so you can just fast or nibble on snacks on the plane. My favorite at airport meal is fried chicken.

(Edith) #11

Pork rinds
Macadamia nuts
Bacon “chips” with guacamole for dipping
Beef sticks
Cheese crisps (they are like chips but made with cheese)
Pepperoni
Tuna (I just saw little individual packets of tuna salad at the grocery store today)
Keto pancakes (pretty tasty cold, you can even make sandwiches with them)

Good luck on your trip,
Edith

(Melissa) #12

I recently had a moderately long flight and I ended up buying a turkey/bacon/cheese sandwich and ate the inside and left the bun. You could buy something like this in the airport past security.

(Nancy ) #13

I didn’t have time to listen to the whole video that someone else posted so I may be redundant…sorry. I traveled overseas a couple of months ago. Depending on the airline, there are parts of the meals that you can eat that will still be Keto. for breakfast I chose the egg and sausage meals and added the little packet of butter to it. There is usually a small block of cheese as well. Snack was a pizza which I just took the cheese topping off and ate that. Dinner options had a chicken or other meat and I chose the one with the spinach, again butter added to everything. I took a little sealed plastic container in a zip lock with my coconut oil and added that to my tea or coffee whenever I had (just toward the end of the trip so as to be able to sleep and decrease jet lag). I also took a large water bottle and after meal service, I would go to one of the galleys and the flight attendants were happy to fill it up for me. I also took a little container of pink Himalayan salt to keep my electrolytes up. I had some nuts and some fat bombs as well. My fat bombs were supposed to be frozen or refrigerated so I ended up with a Baggie of “peanut butter cup” goop! But a spoonful when I needed a little something helped a lot!

(Keto Travels) #14

I have only been flying short haul lately but I find myself perfectly capable of just not having anything except water on the plane now that cravings are gone, even if the last meal was Sth like 7 hours ago. I guess it builds up over time … in the beginning having macadamias on hand helped a lot, especially psychologically. Eggs did not do so well unless I ate them fast I always managed to squish them into a soggy mess. Careful also with the likes of guacamole or pate, I have had those confiscated before of above 100ml.
with a lot of flying I am finding the ketoaid mix really helpful to keep hydrated and the saltiness also hits the spot. That just leaves airport boredom and wanting a treat for me, both of which are remedied by allowing myself acserious dose of podcasts instead of trying to work- especially keto related ones- and unrestricted amounts of earl grey :heart:

Ordered a diabetic meal for the flights, will bring my own snacks too as I’m sure there won’t be much to eat in the meal. I’ve been playing with fasting and the other day I did 18 hours pretty easily, about as long as my combined flights and layovers.

Too bad instead of a vegetarian option there is a carnivore option?

Jerky if possible, nuts, sliced veggies, parmesan crisps(sold at whole foods), One serving of Lilly’s chocolate bar stevia sweetened( sold at whole foods)

(Keto Travels) #18

Better not rely on the diabetic meal given the current standard advice diabetics get re nutrition! Did that once and ended up with your basic low fat healthy whol grains option :cry:
Best to rely on your own supplies.

Also a few people have now told me that apparently fasting before and during a long-haul flight is really helping with jet-lag … no personal experience yet and haven’t had time to look if there’s any science on that but sounded interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

Thought I’d update this thread. Took Macadamia nuts, hard salami, parm. crisps on flights from Vegas to Amsterdam and them from Barcelona to Vegas and worked out fine. Diabetic meals were not keto friendly. Thanks for all the advice!

(VLC.MD) #20

They are called Diabetic meals because they cause Diabetes ! :sunglasses: