1st Extended Fast Started 2 days ago

(Suzanne Leigh) #1

Hi Gang,
I’ve been eating LCHF for 2 years. Spent several months deep in ketosis, but then started eating more vegetables and a bit more protein and dropped to low levels. I was lean and my goal changed to building muscle. Fast forward to August of this year, I started losing my waist, getting thick in the middle, and the constipation I’d battled with got worse. I started itching at night on my arms and shoulders. I extended my fasting window, hitting16:8 most days. Kept after my training, got good sleep, tracked my macros etc, but the symptoms got worse. By early November my waist had grown by 6". I literally looked 4-5 months pregnant. My hormones were way high (estrogen and progesterone) and my thyroid was way off as well…the bloodwork showed hyperthyroid, but I was exhibiting classic hypothyroid symptoms. Had some western tests–colonoscopy and vaginal ultrasound–that came out fine. Rather than chase my tail with western medicine I’ve decided to do a water fast to re-set my system. I’m on hour 52. Not hungry but not motivated to do much. Just posting this here as accountability and to thank each of you for your wonderful contributions. You’ve taught me so much!

PS–A bit more about me. I turned 50 at the end of September 2017 and celebrated the big event in Perth, Australia, where I spent all of 2017. I’ve been traveling for 3 years, mostly in Western Australia and SE Asia, always staying near a great gym and cooking 99% of my own food to keep track of macros and healthy fats etc. I’m a keto coach and have specialized in in-house nutritional rehabs, for lack of a better term. I move in with people for 30 days at a time, get them into nutritional ketosis using a well formulated plan, do all their shopping and cooking, and teach them how to adopt a ketogenic lifestyle. I don’t yet have a website…word of mouth does wonders.

I didn’t record my weight or measurements prior to starting this fast because I have a history of eating disorder and didn’t want to get hooked on those numbers. My #1 reason for fasting is to correct my malfunctioning digestive system, but a close #2 is to get rid of the inexplicable watermelon gut described above. Again, many thanks to each of you for sharing your stories. They’ve been invaluable to me in my decision to fast for a cure.

(Suzanne Leigh) #2

I have one question for the pros. I’ve been drinking lots of water, but have been craving carbonated water…Perrier etc…and have been drinking more of that than still water. Is that OK? Any harm in carbonated water?

(Andrew) #3

Yup. Drink all you want.

(What The Fast?!) #4

I’m really interested in hearing your results, I hope it gets better!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #5

Keep going, the second day which you just finished is usually the hardest according to Dr. Jason Fung. Keep going and you should be fine.

I use sparkling water all the time and as long as there are no carbs (sweeteners) you are good to go. I prefer San Pellegrino over Perrier: yes, I know, they are both water but I like the carbonation of S. Pellegrino better as I think it cleans out my mouth better. That is the big thing for me!

When I feast I eat a lot of fat and the carbonated water really cuts through that and I like the fresh feeling mouth I am left with.

(Suzanne Leigh) #6

Many thanks!!! I’m going to make some Keto Aid today as well. Small treats become such a big deal when fasting LOL

(Suzanne Leigh) #7

Hi Ron, Thanks for your reply and encouragement. I woke up not feeling great–not terrible, just not great. Lightheaded and low energy. My blood glucose is 3.2 (58) and my ketones are 4.9, so GKI of .65. I would think with numbers like these I should feel great. Maybe I need electrolytes. I’m going to the store to get stuff for keto-aid.

Another question for you or any of the experts. I have low bowel motility that results in constipation (just in last couple of years). My Integrative Health doc, who is OK with me fasting, made only one suggestion: “clean out your bowels early in the fast so that sludge doesn’t just sit there.” I’m in complete agreement, and I can feel the sludge inside, but I’m not sure what to do to move my bowels that won’t mess up my water fast. Is a salt flush OK? Any suggestions for most efficacious, non-intrusive from a fasting perspective, laxative? Thanks!!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #8

Load up on the fat, it will help to clean you out!

During extended fasting you can’t load up on fat but you are not eating anything else either. In my experience my bowels normally clean themselves out on the second or third day of extended fasting. After that you will still have occasional movements at longer intervals, on one fast I went as long as 10 days between movements.

The sludge your doctor mentioned is what your BMs will contain after the first week or so. I have found that managing your electrolytes: salt, magnesium, and potassium is very important during the fast to keep things moving properly. Magnesium is the most important for the bowels as it helps to moisten the stool and allow things to move smoothly.

Depending on how long you fast, peristalsis will stop occasionally but will start back up when you need to empty the sludge. This is nothing to worry about!

(Suzanne Leigh) #9

Thanks for this, Ron!!

Re loading up on fat, even when I was eating 85% fat I had problems eliminating. I know that’s a rarity, but it’s what happened for me. Consistency was like toothpaste, which was perfect, but no motility to push it out. It’s like my peristalsis died, a problem I’m hoping the water fast may miraculously cure :slight_smile:

I will keep up with electrolytes–just back from the store with a bag full of stuff to make the keto-aid–and if I feel really backed up I’ll use enemas and a bit more of the magnesium citrate.

Oddly, when I woke up this morning my watermelon belly was nearly flat. I felt enthused and relieved. Now, 4 hours later, after drinking a couple of liters of water, the watermelon belly is back. Hmmmm??

(Trish) #10

I have constipation dominant IBS with certain foods and stressors causing acute onset cramps and crazy diarrhea. Having said that, I haven’t had a lot is issues since keto, but a few weeks ago I had a cup of my favourite Egyptian licorice mint tea, which has never given me issues, but on that occasion a short while later I had to go to the point I was sure I emptied my entire GI tract. Didn’t need to go again for literally 7 days. Liorice is, of course, a laxative and is very sweet even though the tea has no sugar or carbs, but I wonder if the combination of the laxative and pseudosweetness would help your situation in a similar, though hopefully less urgent, manner.

(Suzanne Leigh) #11

Shalimar, that’s a great idea. When I’m next at the store I’ll get some liquorice mint tea (is it hard to find??) and give it a try. Anything to clear me out and not break the fast would be most welcome.

(Trish) #12

I’m in Ontario Canada and Yogi brand teas are available in most grocery stores. I’m out of the licorice mint but here pics of the licorice with nutrition info.

(Suzanne Leigh) #13

Perfect!! Most stores in the area carry Yogi teas so I shouldn’t have any trouble finding. Thanks so very much.

I’ve researched this before and by most accounts drinking carbonated water isn’t an issue. There have been times when I thought carbonated water was making my legs achy as odd as that sounds but for the most part I keep my SodaStream very busy. Even when doing longer fasts. When I was in the Peace Corps probably 95% of the water I drank was carbonated. And I survived. The two things I’ve read about as possible issues are: some sources contain small amounts of heavy metals & some are acidic and can cause dental issues. I’ve never experienced either to my knowledge.

(Suzanne Leigh) #15

Thanks so much Rian,
Good to know I’m good with carbonated water. I’ve now got 24 bottles in the fridge. Re leg aches, my glutes are aching…but maybe because they aren’t used to lying around. I train 4-5 days/week typically, with at least 1 heavy leg day and 1 leg conditioning day. The glutes are confused now :slight_smile:

(Suzanne Leigh) #16

Hey Rian, Ron, FatPants…any others in the know…my blood glucose is 2.4 (i.e. 44) this evening and my ketones are 5.2. I’ve been feeling pretty shaky and light headed and once almost broke out in a total body sweat, the way one does when blood sugar is really low. I nearly broke the fast, but decided to hit the sack instead. If my glucose remains this low tomorrow would it make sense for me to eat a small meal then carry on with the fast? I don’t want to do myself any harm.

(Andrew) #17

I’d try a bpc first. Shouldn’t dork with your insulin if you just eat some fat. Your liver can make Bg from fat…

You bet eat. We have been instructed in the IDM program to not put off eating when BG drops too low. If you have tried some salt and it did not fix the problem, shaky and sweaty is not good. So eat. I would not wait until morning.

(Suzanne Leigh) #19

Thanks fatpants and Lkd25,
I agree I need some fat. Unfortunately I have nothing in the house. I planned it this way so I wouldn’t be tempted to break the fast. I’ll drink the electrolytes tonight and have some extra salt and go to the store in the morning. I’m craving olives and macadamia nuts, so I think I definitely need salt. Would it kill my stomach to eat olives and macadamias? If I can hang til 4:40pm tomorrow I will have 4 days in. I would like to hit that target unless I feel terrible, in which case I’ll eat earlier. Thanks so very much for your expertise!!!

Lots of people break fasts with macadamia nuts and olives so should be ok. But really keep on top of low blood sugar. It can be very dangerous. And I am not sure if fats will bring it up. So check that out. Happy eating!