1st EF - need advice - extend, how to break, alcohol?

Background

• Keto for last 8 months
  • OMAD (dinner) weekdays, TMAD (breakfast and lunch) weekends for last 3 weeks
  • 15 mins cardio per weekday, 2 hours cardio per weekend day
  • Lost 55 pounds, but plateaued at 185 pounds for last 5 months (target is 160 pounds)
  • Metabolic markers improved, pre-diabetes gone, HDL raised, ratio of total to HDL cholesterol 3.2,

Motivation for IF, OMAD, and EF

• Break weight loss stall
  • Develop habits and physiology to allow me to maintain lower weight for life versus regaining
  • Autophagy, improve metabolism and physiology
  • Save time (eating, food prep, clean-up)

Today

• First EF attempt, at hour 42 as I type this
  • Feasted on day before starting fast
  • Feel good, high energy, very light hunger (but it’s lunchtime)
  • Cycling between water, black coffee, and chicken broth (from cubes)
  • Gained a pound from yesterday (water weight from sodium in broth?)

Questions

• Given this is my first EF, should I break after 48 hours?
  • Any disadvantages to pushing to 72 hours?
  • Is there any benefit to adding cream or MCT to coffee, or is that just to stem hunger?
  • Broth is to increase sodium. Would it be better to leave it out?
  • At the end of 72 is a cocktail party. Assuming I don’t go on a bender, is there any problem breaking the fast with a glass of wine, or will I get shellacked?
  • Is it better to break with a light meal, or eat to satiety?
  • Anything else I should keep in mind?

(Stacy Blanchard) #2

You’ve been Keto for 8 months so there should be no problem fasting that long. I did things a little backwards from most people, I started Keto after a 14 day fast. I can tell you I did not add any broth or cream. I can also say the first 2 days were the most challenging. Day 5 I really hit my groove. I did add salt and eventually magnesium in a spray oil along with epsom soaks. While I was fasting I learned as much as I could and I broke fast with small meal of nuts and salad.
I have done LCHF 6 months and in that time I have read, watched and listened to many hours of information. I have come to the conclusion that everyone is completely different and what one can do may not work for another. It is important to me to gather info and then try the things that resonate with me. It is good to know one’s self and craft a lifestyle that works most effectively for you. Your questions can be best answered by you. Do you think drinking after a fast will be a problem for you? Do you think you can go 72 hours fasting? I think how you answer really matters if you’re reasonably healthy. If you find yourself feeling crappy, you should break fast or switch up what you’re doing until you find what helps you most. What helps you this month may not be most optimal in the future. The way you will know is by trying different methods. Good luck.

The first couple of EF I did - 48hrs- I’ve had an upset stomach when I’ve broken the fast. I’ve found if I just eat half an avocado, leave it an hour, then eat a lighter meal I’m okay. So I definitely would plan to end your fast well before the party! The runs seems to be quite common, although I’m only a newbie at it, & not as long on keto as you…

(Robert C) #4

Drop any idea of alcohol at the end of a multi-day fast - really bad idea. You will not remember anything you say - everyone else will - in great detail.

You will also make fasting a bad experience.

(Robert C) #5

I recommend breaking with a few small things 60 to 90 minutes apart to see how it goes. Your positive feeling about the overall process might get counterbalanced by some intestinal pain (and disaster pants) trying to have a full meal. Be conservative - some have no trouble and some have lots to overcome (but it is worth it).

@RobC – thanks for recommendation on the alcohol. My plan, based on the post from @jules4 is break the fast tomorrow with a half avocado at lunch and snack in the afternoon. So that will be 68 hours for my first EF (yay), and I’ll have 4 to 5 hours to settle down any GI issues before my party.

(Robert C) #7

After “lunch” it may be good to overload a bit on water too.

@RobC , @jules4 , @Stabla - Here’s the latest report – I’m at hour 64 and goddam it, do I feel great!! How much would I pay for a drug that would create this mental and physical sense of well being? Just an amazing bio-hack. I’m going to force myself to eat at noon, but I feel like I’ll be breaking a magic spell. I could very easily keep it going because I have zero hunger.

I’ll have small snacks of avocado and nuts per y’all’s recommendation, and I hopeful to have settled any queasiness by this evening’s event.

Queasiness might not be your problem, it’s the other end you might need to worry about!! Let us know how you get on!
The feeling great is amazing, isn’t it, who’d have thought it!