1st 24 hour fast - Salt Lick Trick - Phenomenal

newbies
fasting

(Carolus Holman) #1

I am doing a 24 hour fast, I figured I was already 12 hours in when I woke up - not hungry. I started getting some hunger-pangs about 11:00 AM - 16 hours in, and I used the salt-lick trick. I licked up some salt from my handy grinder which I stuck in my laptop bag :slight_smile: and the pangs disappeared. What a great way to cruise through the day.

I am little hungry at 19 hours in, but not overly. I don’t understand how anyone could go 72 hours or higher! Hopefully one day I will gain the fortitude to do it!

Oops! Just horrified colleagues

Fasting gets easier the more times you do it. I’ve done several fasts from 5-10 days and hour 20 on the first day is always the hardest for me. I think it’s more mental than anything. Usually the “what’s for dinner” thoughts start in the late afternoon so on days when I’m fasting that time is tough. Stick with it, it gets easier and easier.

It really is more mental than anything. I keep seeing the phrase “fasting is like a muscle” and I find that to be very true for me. The more I fast, the easier it gets. Longest I’ve gone is 5 days, hoping to get into 7 days and 10 days in the near future. Also, if you check out Dr. Fung’s blog, he has a post (sorry, can’t remember the name) that explains research showing that even while fasting our insulin levels naturally increase during normal meal periods. So we perceive it as hunger when biologically speaking it’s just the way our bodies have been conditioned over decades. I like to remind myself of that whenever I feel “hunger pangs” around lunch or dinner time. Also, YES - salt works WONDERS while doing a fast. It almost instantly clears up any symptoms I’m experiencing. I’ve heard salt licks are great, I personally just pour 1-2 tsp of sea salt into a glass with some water and chug it down. Wishing you fasting success going forward!