16/8 post workout, break fast or not?

(Bobby) #1

Hi Forum,

I have been doing 16/8 IF for a few months now. And I’m adding morning exercise. My question is, should I break the fast after workout and feed body with protein and fat? Or Should I keep the fasting going until my regular eating time?

Thanks

Regards

Bobby

(VLC.MD) #2

Depends on your goals

Without knowing them I say longer fasting is better.

(Bobby) #3

Thanks for the reply.

I have lost 35kg, now I’m trying to loss more fat. That’s my goal.

(Erin Macfarland ) #4

You should go by hunger levels I think. If you’re hungry afterwards then eat. Otherwise drinking some salt water or taking some electrolytes after and waiting a bit can help increase the post workout fat utilization. Feel it out, don’t make hard and fast rules. It might change somedays too so be flexible. Sometimes I’m hungry right after a workout other times I can wait. It depends on a lot of variables, like sleep, stress levels, how much you ate the day before, what kind of work out you did. So have a goal in mind but don’t force your body to do something that doesn’t feel right that day. This will help you in the long run to stay compliant too :slight_smile:

(Jared) #5

I like going by hunger levels. I do circadian rythym fasting but with my job and energy levels I love working out after work around 10pm-midnight. I’m wondering if I should hold true to the fast and wait til I normally eat the next day or eat some keto/ carnivore after my workout. I don’t know if it’s optimal to eat so late in night but I know my body needs the protein. Decisions.