16-8 IF to Circadian Fast?

(Bernardo Fanti) #1

I have been on a 16-8 IF style intermittent fasting routine for a year and a half now. Lots of positive effects, among others a much more natural weight and body composition maintenance without worrying about calories.

I also “try” LCHF although I give myself room around workouts to replenish glycogen and a cheat meal every 3-4 days. It’s not ideal but it’s been working for me and given my priorities, I’m happy.

I did however recently listen to a Rhonda Patrick podcast espousing a fast centered around our Circadian Rhythm and it intrigued me. The logic is sound and the research seems to back it up.

So I am considering doing a roughly 18-6 Circadian style fast, breaking my fast first thing in the morning (which makes LCHF easier by making eggs & bacon right off the bat) leading up to a large lunch around 1130 ending my feeding time at 12pm. I’m comfortable with longer fasts, having experimented with up to 36 hours so far without too much trouble.

Any general feedback? Two specific questions/thoughts:

• I got used to my current 16-8 IF and am absolutely not hungry in the morning up until noon at least. Sometimes I even have to force myself to break my fast around 1-2pm, I’m still buzzing on energy. I’m worried flipping this will throw me off in some way…

• I exercise in the evenings, either GST type strength workouts, HIIT circuits, or 60-90 aerobic training. Particularly the GST workouts seem to require some post-workout carbs to keep my glycogen stable for the next day. I’m worried flipping my fast hours will screw with this pattern.

Regardless, I will give it a try, but was wondering if anybody had any interesting input…

Thanks!

(Jacquie) #2

I’ve heard Rhonda Patrick talk about this, too, and found it interesting. This thread on the forum may interest you.