15 year old keto diet help

(Cj Bartlett) #1

I’m 15 I weight 80 kg and I’m about 177cm tall and i want to lose weight with the keto diet but I don’t know what type of food to eat since I’m a picky eat. but I enjoy these foods.

1. meat (steak, chicken, pork.)
  2. rice
    3.fruits (bananas & apples)
  3. some vegetables (lettuce, carrots, onion)
    5 noodles
    6.most other basic foods like toast, pancakes, etc

I really want to try this diet so any help is appreciated.

(Ann) #2

Rice and noodles are not keto. It is possible to make keto pancakes.

Have a look at dietdoctor.com for meal suggestions
Google keto whatever you fancy.

(Jane) #3

Have you read up on the keto diet AT ALL?

Of your list, only the first item is low carb.

It’s easy, eat meat. And potentially some vegetables, onions go well with meat, I like some fresh raw vegetables too (like, an iceberg lettuce leaf or half, not every day, but sometimes)… But only meat may work too. It’s enough for your body if you eat the right kind and amount but you probably would miss other items… I lost weight before keto, on low-carb, it’s an option if keto would be too hard for you right away.

Pancakes are fine if you do them properly, it helps if you like eggy ones (I do). But there are very different keto styles, many people use nut flours and sweeteners galore, that’s pretty different from eating fatty meat and eggs only… You probably will need some time (possibly much) to find your ideal way of eating. It shouldn’t be a short term diet and it’s so much more than fat-loss.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

A ketogenic diet is simple in concept, but sometimes hard to implement. The idea is to eat as few carbohydrates as possible, and to live on protein and fat. This is not as hard as it may sound, because most meats contain about 25% protein, a good deal of fat, and some water. So eating mostly meat, with some butter on it, perhaps, will give you protein and fat in a good proportion.

The hard part of the ketogenic diet is giving up such things as candy, ice cream, French fries, potato chips (or crisps, depending on where you’re from), cookies (biscuits), rice, potatoes, and the like. Sugar (sucrose) should be avoided at all costs, and other carbohydrates should be strictly limited.

There are biochemical and hormonal reasons for all this, but we don’t need to into all that right now. The point is that a well-formulated ketogenic diet lets us eat in a way that works with our body’s hormonal responses to food, so that we can avoid all the chronic diseases plaguing our society: obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, Alzheimer’s disease, certain cancers, and the like. Even tooth decay is lessened when we adopt a low-carbohydrate diet.

One last thing: If you do any reading about the ketogenic diet, you will see recommendations for eating a limited amount of protein. At age fifteen, your body is growing and developing, so these recommendations do not apply to you. Eat as much protein as you feel you need, because you are growing and the amino acids in the protein you eat are necessary for building strong bone and muscle. Also eat plenty of fat, because it will give your body energy. Not only that, but the human brain is mostly made of fat, and fat and cholesterol are essential to the proper functioning of the brain.

All this is contrary to the standard dietary advice, so be prepared for people to tell you that you are eating unhealthily. But actually, it is the standard dietary advice that has no science behind it, and a ketogenic diet appears to be what the human race evolved to eat. Not everyone needs to eat this way, but a lot of people find that they are a lot healthier when they do.

P.S.–A very high-fat, low-protein, carb-free diet has been used to successfully treat epileptic children whose seizures did not respond to drug treatment. The problem is that the lack of protein stunted the growth of a number of these children, so you may hear that a ketogenic diet is not healthy for children or teenagers. This is a misconception. It was not the fact that the diet was ketogenic that caused the problem, it was the lack of protein in that diet. A properly-formulated ketogenic diet has plenty of protein in it, so it is perfectly fine for the growing human body.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #6

I think it is brilliant that you want to take your health into your own hands at your age.

Best thing to do is to keep it simple - avoid all candies, sweets and carbs, and enjoy meat, eggs and (some) vegetables. Keto can actually be the perfect diet for a picky eater if you work it right.

Diet Doctor is a wealth of information for anyone starting out on Keto. Another place to read up on information and get food inspiration is on Instagram.

Start off simple, as you rid your body of the sugar/carb dependence, you will be surprised at how your food tastes change. You might start liking foods you once thought you didn’t like.

Please check back and keep us updated with your progress. Good luck

(Scott) #7

I would listen to the 2KD podcasts and start reading to get educated on the keto diet. Looking at your list of what food you enjoy this is going to be a major change for you. The easy route is to gain knowledge of the carb content of any foods you eat. If it has more than incidental carbs, don’t eat it. Your theoretical limit is <20g a day so you will likely have to give up anything that comes in a premade package.

There are lots of low carb veggies – mushrooms, cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, green beans, peppers, sugar snap peas, asparagus, radishes, celery, artichokes, onions, Brussels sprouts, tomatoes, …

There are lots of proteins – eggs, chicken, pork, beef, lamb, fish, seafood, …

There are lots of fats – olive oil, butter, avocado oil, heavy cream, coconut oil, mayo, cheese, …

There are lots of nuts and seeds – walnuts, pecans, macadamia, almonds, chia, pumpkin, sunflower, …

There are lots of spices – Salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ginger, curry powder, …

There are all kinds of sauces and condiments – tomato sauce/paste, mustard, SF ketchup, SF BBQ sauce, salsa, guacamole, horseradish, SF jams/jellies, tartar sauce, …

There are lots of baking supplies – coconut flour, almond flour, flax meal, psyllium husk, Xanthan gum, extracts and SF syrups, unsweetened coconut or almond milks, artificial sweeteners, …

And so many I left out. Almost an infinite number of combinations.

But, in the end, you’ll have to check nutritional labels, because it’s carbs you’re trying to avoid. That’s mostly sugars and starches (breads, pastas, rices, potatoes, etc).

There are many low carb substitutes for the sugars and starches. For example, Egg Loaf is a great replacement for French toast.

(Susan) #9

Welcome to the forum, CJ .

The only thing on your list that is Keto is the meat --but I am sure once you see all the wonderful choices that you do have on Keto, you will still love Keto!

We have a section on the forum -run by @KidKeto Cristian Lopez --that is for teens doing Keto =).

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/community/keto4adolescents

Also, you can pm @KidKeto and I am sure that he will reply, he is a very friendly and helpful young man.

@Cj_Bartlett

You’ve gotten some good advice already. I was similar to you when I was young, I didn’t like vegetables because I only experienced them from a microwaveable frozen block. I was around 105kg at 188cm, but played American football and wrestled.

It wasn’t until I started buying fresh vegetables that I started liking them last year. You’ll also want to add other ingredients to vegetables or figure out how to cook them other than boiling.

Seasonings more than salt and pepper will help add flavor. Butter/olive oil/bacon grease are awesome also. When in doubt, add cheese.

If you like macaroni and cheese, boil some fresh cauliflower florets (or microwave some frozen cauliflower florets) and use that instead of noodles and don’t make a roux, use some xantham gum to set the cheese sauce.

Steak night? Take some asparagus and snap the bottoms off. Sprinkle some olive oil to coat them and add some garlic powder, salt, and black pepper and put in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Take it out and add some mozzarella or parmesan cheese and put it back in for another 5 minutes.

And guess what, you can crumble some bacon in both of those vegetable sides.

Shoot me a message if you need anything.