11 hours to go to complete my first 72 hour fast...ketone and blood glucose levels

(Antony Collins) #1

So, I have 11 hours to go to hit my first 72 hour fast. The most I’ve ever done is 48 hours and this feels easy peasy, Im not hungry at all. All Ive had since I started is black coffee and water.

I just woke up and my blood glucose reading is 3.6 mmol/L and my ketone level is 3.8 mmol/L. The blood glucose is low and my ketone level is quite high…im in the starvation zne on the Phinney ketosis chart. I feel good so Im not too concerned.

Im off to the gym now…Im sue my ketones will drop as they always do after exercise.

GO THE FAST !

(Cathrine Helle) #2

72 hours is awesome! I’m doing my first extended fast beyond 48 hours this coming week, hoping it will go smoothly :slight_smile:

(Tony ) #3

Im at 72 hrs now of a 5 day fast, ketone level are at 5mmol/L not really hungry. but thinking of stopping at day 4 we will see. got some chest pains. not sure if related other factors relating to work.

Hey Tony, it’s so funny I saw this right now because about two hours ago (about 48 hrs into a 72 hr fast) I was having hunger pangs that felt a little different, sort of a tightness extending up into my chest. I wondered if I should break the fast, but because they didn’t feel too bad to cope with for a short time longer, I just had a cup of bone broth (which does have a bit of protein and 2g carbs) loaded up with salt. Not only did it taste really good, but the hunger and the chest tightness have gone, at least for now. It wasn’t ideal but I didn’t feel like breaking my fast entirely if possible. Not sure if your chest pain is more severe or more persistent though, you know best.

Incidentally, I did take my ketone reading a few hours prior to the pangs/pain and they were at 5.5. I’ve had higher ketone readings in the past with no problem so I wasn’t sure if it was related.

(Tony ) #5

hi Callisto,

Thank you for the email and input. My chest pains are the same as yours were I think. Tighening around the chest. I’ll ride it out see how I am tomorrow. Not long to go now.

Thank you

Hi again Tony! Just an update, mine came back again after another 4-5 hours, so I went ahead and broke my fast. I figured I’d break early and start my next one a little earlier than planned to make up for it. I’d be interested to know if yours abated on their own with more time or if you found another solution, please let me know how it goes. Best of luck to you!

(Tony ) #7

Callisto -Thats very weird that is happening to you, Have you had any thoughts from others why this is occurring? . I went to bed and had weird feeling in my body, and I thought I better eat. I didn’t, Managed to get to sleep after my paranoia subsided about what was happening. When I woke up, I feel great. I do have pains in my chest but I am thinking it has to do with the injury I had recently, But that doesn’t relate to the tightness I was experience. I was watching the documentary about a 40 day water fast and it is it was saying that injuries can come back and be painful temporarily but that was suppose to be after 6 to 16 days not 3 or it was anxiety relating to a work issue. I can only put it down to one of those. One more day to go but the way I feel I might take it to 7 day, See how I feel tomorrow. Best of luck to you.

I don’t have any real insight yet, but I was wondering, does yours tend to happen during the periods when you’re feeling especially hungry? That’s the pattern I was noticing on my end. I’m not certain, of course, but it feels intuitively like if yours is persistent even during the periods of no hunger, it may be more closely related to your injury vs. if it goes away when not hungry it may be something different? Just thinking it through.

(Tony ) #9

Callisto, the pains definitely didnt come on during times of feeling hungry and actually today I haven’t felt them. I have broke my day 5 and went into day 6 decided to go for the full 7 days as I feel great.

Hope it all works out for you.