11 Day Water Only Fast

(Jack Lovell) #1

Hello Everyone.

By way of introduction I am a type 2 prediabetic/borderline diabetic and have managed to juggle this for the last 15 or so years without medication and without the condition getting worse… or any better for that matter. However, in March 2017 my HbA1c was 41 yet in April 2018 it had increased to 45 mmol/ mol.

It was at this point that I finally decided to take things seriously and commenced a keto diet which by September 2018 had brought my HbA1c down to 38 which was satisfyingly within the normal range.

Regrettably, Christmas and New Year excesses had gradually caused my average fasting blood glucose (FBG) to rise by 0.5 mmol/l from 5.4 to 5.9, prompting a masochistic decision to attempt an 11 day water only fast.

It was thankfully not as onerous as I had anticipated, and from a starting weight of 73.1 kgs ( BMI 22.5) I lost 6.1 kgs or 13.5 lbs to arrive at 67.0 kgs (BMI 20.6 - the sunny side of the healthy weight range for my height of 5’ 11").
FBG and evening blood glucose readings hovered around 4.4 which were the lowest I had ever measured, with no sign of the dawn phenomenon where the liver inexplicably dumps glucose to produce a higher FBG than the reading taken the previous bedtime.
Ketones reached and stayed around 7.0 after 4 days of fasting.

Regarding benefits besides the weight loss, my body appears to have cured itself of the dreaded urge incontinence which I have suffered for 6 years… an unfortunate side effect of BPH which old male farts like myself seem destined to encounter eventually.

Most essentially, I have undergone a thorough system washout in preparation for a concentrated intermittent with keto regimen to consolidate my now normal blood results and convince my GP and diabetic practice nurse that T2D is NOT a chronic and progressive disease.

(Bob M) #2

Great story, and congratulations.

(Jack Lovell) #3

Thank you for your kind words.