10k completed

(LeeAnn Brooks) #1

I completed my 10k race this morning with relative ease. It certainly wasn’t a PB, but it wasn’t bad either, and I know I have vast room for improvement, even though I think I gave it all I had at the moment.

I’m already looking up my next race. It’s sort of hard to get them in with my son’s baseball schedule and working almost every Sunday. But I know having something to train for makes it far more likely I’ll keep up my training runs.

I have a goal over the next two weeks to get my long run up to 8 miles. Once I get to 10 I’ll look at scheduling my next half marathon.

And on another note, my ketones have finally dipped into the moderate color hue. So after 8.5 weeks, I’m hoping that is an indication that I am finally fat adapted. I know the pee sticks aren’t supposed to be the most reliable, but when they’ve come out dark purple/pink for 8 weeks and just turned rose pink for the last three times I tested, I am confident something good is happening. Also, no nausea this time post run!!!
Since I just learned that high ketones also means one is depleting electrolytes faster, the dip in ketones and lack of post run nausea makes sense.
:grin::grin::grin:

Felt so good I didn’t eat until after 6pm. Almost a 24 hour fast.

(icky) #2

Hey Annie,

Sounds like it went really well! Congratulations!! :blush:

In the salt video thread I posted yesterday by Phinney, in the 2nd video he keeps mentioning that if you have salt issues with Keto and want to do vigourous exercise, that you should take additional salt in the 30 - 60 mins BEFORE doing the exercise.

Not waiting til you’ve depleted your levels during exercise and then just refilling them later.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

(Alec) #3

THAT right there is bloomin fantastic! Awesome! Your lack of hunger is definitely a sign of fat adaption.

You are doing so well. Keep up the training, you know you feel better when you do it.

KCKR (take a guess!)
Cheers
Alec

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

Oh I do. I typically take some just by pouring a little in my hand and licking it. Plus I time my ZipFizz for one hour before running and I add salt to that as well.
It still wasn’t helping prevent the nausea.
But it did help aleiviate it when it started.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

Well what do you know… I just checked the overall postings for the race and I actually won my age division.

It was a pretty small race with 65 total runners competing in 5k, 10k and 1/2 marathon distances though, so not exactly a stunning victory, but a victory nonetheless. :running_woman:t3::1st_place_medal::grin:

(Terence Dean) #6

Hey congratulations, great to see people hitting their milestones! Well done.

(GINA ) #7

Congratulations!

How is the nausea doing?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

Didn’t hit at all after this run. I was just saying above that my ketones have finally dipped down. They were in the high range for the first 8 weeks the whole time. I think that was part of why I was having issues keeping my electrolytes in balance. I’m taking it as a sign I’m fat adapted and hopefully will have an easier time with the electrolytes.

Thanks for asking.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #9

That’s great news, sure sounds like you are almost adapted!