1 year Doctor visit

(Michael Haisten) #1

Yesterday I went in for my annual physical. Almost exactly one year after going full on Keto. The doctor walks into the exam room and starts like this;

Dr: Have you seen your blood work? (no hello or any of that)
Me: Yes

Dr: We need to talk about a Statin for cholesterol.
Me: No thank you!

Dr: Can you explain these cholesterol levels then?
Me: Yes, it is my Ketogenic diet.

Dr: What are you eating?
Me: 75% fat, 20% protien, 5% carbs from leafy greens. About 1800 calories a day

Dr: And how much weight have you gained on this diet?
Me: I LOST 100 ponds this year.

Dr: Blink…Blink…Blink

By the end of the appointment not only was he no longer pushing a statin, but when I offered to come back in 6 months for more blood work and to revisit the topic, he said he was more than comfortable waiting the full year for blood work.

Just cant keep from smiling today.
Last year 284.6 Lbs. this year 181 Lbs.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

That is so awesome. I’m so happy for you. That is what this is all about…being more healthy. Keep up your good work.

(VLC.MD) #3

What were your numbers ?

Congratulations, keep up the good work!
You should find a new doctor. How does he not know that you’ve lost 100 pounds! Even a cursory glance at your chart would tell him that. That level of lack of throughness​ is dangerous.

(Michael Haisten) #5

HDL 85
LDL117
Trigs 75

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

Dude, this is awesome results. But 4dml has a point, he didn’t notice your size at all??? I am certain you look different and hopefully when they weighed you in they entered that weight. He had to ask you how much you had gain/lost? Not the sharpest crayon in the box is he.

At least he did listen to you and found out what had happened, and gave you a grace period of another yea. Numbers should settle down by then. Most of us have a jump up and as our bodies heal and get fueled properly, we settle into good profiles.

Good luck on the rest of your Journey.

(Michael Haisten) #7

I had only been to this doctor once, a year ago. By mid way through the exam he was apologizing for not recognizing me. I have to give him some slack, people that have known me for decades are walking past me like a stranger.

I am pretty sure he was headed off to read up on Keto as he was a little dumbfounded.

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

After I typed I wondered about how well and how often he even sees you. But really they make us weigh, they record it and he doesn’t read it???

I do understand that it is a PITA having to find a new Dr. Maybe you can help educate him and convert another Dr. to Keto.

(Michael Haisten) #9

I live on an island in Southeast Alaska, I will educate, educate, educate! Slim pickings around here for good doctors.

(Ethan) #10

That shouldn’t scream statin at all!

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

My cousin was stationed in the Coast Guard at Ketchikan. He was a trained PA, so he often helped out the locals with medical issues, I know it is slim pickens for care up there.

You will be fine, just KCKO and educate that dr. of yours.:ok_hand:

(Ethan) #12

Well done! 100 pounds is amazing!

Next time, give the doctor this line:

Dr: We need to talk about a statin for cholesterol.
Me: Yes, lets talk about “statin” the obvious that I lost 100 pounds and am doin great!

Yes, I was thinking the same thing… I’m too sleepy to look at the important ratios but it seems like they’d be pretty good.

@Didlee Congratulations!!! that is awesome

LMAO… :smiley:

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #15

THAT is so ROCKSTAR!

Mic drop.

I agree, no matter, a brain doesn’t cope with statins…ask me.

(Pascal Menezes) #17

Come on, 4dml, a cursory glance at his Didlee’s appearance “the body” , not the chart man, should have been more than enough. These doctors are brain dead; they can’t see a 100 pound reduced body, or even the chart, you know the type of doctor you are dealing with.

My sentiments exactly. He’d have been fired on the spot.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

Perhaps he would read Why We Get Fat, by Gary Taubes. He wrote it because after Good Calories, Bad Calories he kept getting questions along the lines of “Could you please write something my doctor could read?” and “Could you please write something my patients could read?”

(Gerard Lopez) #20

I fired my last doctor. He still asks my wife; how is your husband doing with that crazy diet? He had me on four meds, including a statin. My new doctor is open-minded and sees that this is working for me. BTW, I am off all my meds for high blood pressure, acid reflux, statins, and metformin. THIS WORKS!