1 year Doctor visit

(Rindaloo) #21

Yes, I was wondering why he was (from the off), pushing statins.

(Allan L) #22

Recently I had to change doctors because I moved house. Didnā€™t move that far but in the UK if you move out of the GP catchment area you have to change doctors!

During my 1st consultation the conversation was fairly similar.

Dr: ā€œWhat cholesterol medication are you on?ā€
Me: ā€œNothing, its fineā€. (Annoyed that he assumed I had a cholesterol problem, was it my age, 45, or the now deflated spare tire around my middle)

Dr: Tested my blood pressure
Result: 120/78

:slight_smile:

Also, losing 100 lbs, you should not look the exact sameā€¦Iā€™m not downing any Drā€™s but majority only know a pill form of life. Congrats to you and keep it up!

(jane greer) #24

Congratulations!!! I am waiting on my 6 mos. lab work and am curious to see the numbers. My last A1C was at 7 and my doctor was already pushing drugs. It will be interesting to see what he says now. I have only lost 20 pounds since the last time I saw him but over 16 Inches!!! He still said, its good you lost some weight. I said, yeah 20 pounds!!! He hadnā€™t even looked at what I had weighed the last time. Blood pressure was normal as was blood sugar, but he was upset that the ketone level was elevated and when I said ā€œGoodā€, he looked at me funny. I told him that I had been on a ketogenic diet the last 3 months, and he was fine with that, but said its not something he would want me on for more than a year! I think I am seeing a change in doctors soonā€¦lol. I plan on asking him first if he thinks diabetes is reversible and then we will see.

(Keto in Katy) #25

I would ask him: what is your basis for limiting this?

This will tell you a lot.

Shows you they are pushing drugs thanks to the drug companies

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

You know, if you donā€™t do your duty and get on statins, the drug companies are not going to be able to pay their executives those lovely $60,000,000 bonuses, and they wonā€™t be able to afford a ninth or tenth vacation house, and it will be all your fault! :grin::bacon:

(jane greer) #28

OK, got my results and A1C was down from 7.6 to 6.4!!! Yeah!!! and that was with me only being KETO for 3 months. That was the good news, unfortunately the Triglycerides were up big time.
Cholesterol 209 H 125-200 (mg/dL)
F Triglycerides 296 H <150 (mg/dL)
F HDL Cholesterol 30 L >=46 (mg/dL)
F Total Chol/HDL Ratio 7.0 H <=5.0 (Ratio)
F VLDL Cholesterol (Calc) 59 H

Enough that he called in Cholesterol pills! Anyone else have this happen?

That is why, with as many problems as we have from underfunding and demand on our system, Iā€™m so much happier that we have the NHS in the UK. Although I still donā€™t understand why they want you to take the pills when if we look after our own health itā€™s less strain on our publicly funded system of healthcare.

Worked on US summer camps in the 90ā€™s (it was for people with developmental and physical disabilities) but I was still amazed at how many meds everyone seemed to be on. One of my campers, who was around 8 at the time had to stop taking her meds for severe epilepsy and she went from being drugged off her face all the time to mainstream schools and normality after they started treating her with a keto diet insteadā€¦

It boggles my mind that diet and lifestyle are not promoted first and drugs used as a last resort

(Michael Haisten) #30

Not nearly as profitable!

(955ecfabf7c05c4e1f51) #31

I think when a person first starts the keto woe, because their body is not efficiently using fat at first, the triglycerides and cholesterol go haywire. Once you are completely fat adapted, your numbers will improve. I donā€™t remember where I saw it, but something I read suggested waiting six months after starting keto to see how the blood levels improve.

I just got my first keto blood test results back yesterday. I have been eating this way for 5 months. I hadnā€™t had a physical in about five years, but I decided to have one because I wanted to make sure I wasnā€™t setting myself up for a heart attack. I am 51. It can happen. I was a little concerned about the LDL cholesterol since my doctor does not really know that much about keto and I was worried if it was up, he would be concerned. But, everything looked good.

HDL: 81 mg/dL
LDL: 86 mg/dL
VLDL: 5 mg/dL
Triglycerides: 25 mg/dL

I am happy to know I am not killing myself and planning on ketoing on into the foreseeable future. I canā€™t imagine going back to my former way of eating. Also, I just canā€™t go back to eating 93% lean ground beef ever again.

Cheers,
Edith

(Jen ) #32

Wow! That is AMAZING! Iā€™ve been in healthcare for a very long time and have never seen an LDL or Trigā€™s that low! Congrats :blush:

Yeeessssss! When you go back next year, take him a gift copy of ā€œThe Great Cholesterol Mythā€ by Bowden and Sinatra! :slight_smile: Well done.

(Damon Chance) #34

Are you losing a lot of weight right now? Thatā€™s definitely not what Iā€™d expect to see with the Triglycerides for sure. We have a couple of resident experts on Lipids here @siobhan and @DaveKeto they may have some insight. Your Total Cholesterol is barely above the range. HDLā€™s and TRIGs are really backwards though. Guessing your LDL was fairly high too but you donā€™t list it. I still wouldnā€™t take a Statin without getting a CAC score though.

(jane greer) #35

Havenā€™t lost a lot of weight, 20 lbs in 3.5 months, but have lost a lot of inchesā€¦over 16 total since I started.

(Damon Chance) #36

I do see people report higher numbers while actively losing fat. Drugs are normally elevated when eating carbs though. I stil wouldnā€™t go on a station without a CAC test that was bad though.

(Siobhan) #37

Awesome on the hba1c!
As for triglycerides I have heard of that happening if you:

• fast for over the 12-14 hour window (especially if multiday fasting)
  • Didnt fast for the 12-14 hours suggested (e.g. ate before the test)

Did you do either of these things, out of curiosity?

(jane greer) #38

You are correct. Itā€™s one of the reasons I didnā€™t even fill the prescription. They never told me to fast the night before and always complained when I didnā€™t eat before, so I had some breakfast before they pulled blood. So I already knew the numbers were tainted

(Destiny R Braden) #39

Congratulations! Youā€™ve done so well! I bet you feel better too!

(Linda) #40

I love this. Itā€™s exactly what my doc does when I bring up things like rosacea or the things that HURT. It seems they have their concerns, I have mine, and never the twain shall meet.