1 week on Keto and

(Matt Gilmer) #1

I’m not seeing any results. I have researched this topic on this forum and it seems that people often say it takes months before weight loss begins. I find that hard to believe after reviewing the basic science postings. I have a keto mojo which claims I am in dietary ketosis with a reading of 1.0.

FYI I am 6’6” 431 pounds and I am consuming no more than 30 g of net carbs a day. Said carbohydrates are coming from leafy green vegetables and occasionally Cauliflower and/or low carbohydrate tomato sauce. I drink one diet soda a day and one cup of coffee black with grass fed butter and MTC oil added into it. My water intake varies between 2 and 3 gallons a day.

Thanks in advance for help

It has only been a week. It takes time. What are your expectations?

(Matt Gilmer) #3

Well, I guess I was slightly triggered by two things: stepping on the scale this morning and seeing that I had gained weight and assuming I’ve been in Ketosis by way of Keto mojo readings.

My expectations are to loose weight at a slow pace and normalize my hormonal health. I’m considering a fast at this point.

Thanks for your response and any help /advice you may have.

(Robert C) #4

I think that kind of water intake will rob you of all of your electrolytes. It might be good to reduce that significantly (along with adding electrolytes) if you try a fast (well - even just for keto - I think that is too much water - take water in ounces as half your LEAN body weight).

Also, any fat loss on keto you might have in a week (probably a pound or less while you are trying to become fat adapted) would probably be masked by that amount of water (2 and 3 gallons is 16 to 24 pounds).

As well, at your weight, a pound of fat loss is %0.23 - scales have trouble getting that kind of accuracy and I wouldn’t focus on a scale number at this point. Instead I would focus on rigid compliance to keto and check after several weeks to ensure a downward trend (and even then, not worry too much about the weight difference - just let the trend continue).

(Rafe) #5

I would stay off the scale daily and go weekly to help eliminate some variance. I would also recommend for the weight to be taken in the AM to help standardize hydration. Also physical activity can be hard for induction, but a small walk a day can help burn any glycogen stores. Of your protein is to high you can also create glycogen through glucogensis. I try to maintain 80-100g depending in my gym time. Also quest bars claim 4-5 carbs but they kick me out either due to carbs or the protein. I only used the pee sticks early on and I was always in heavy ketosis according to them.

(Frank) #6

Forget the scale for awhile unless you can accept the fact that weight loss is not linear for most people. I didn’t start weighing in until I was 2-3 months in and there was a noticeable body mass loss. Since then I’m a daily weigh in guy and I understand my daily ups and downs. You’re just starting. Follow the general rules that the dudes have of 20 net g of carbs a day or less, 1-1.5 g per lb of lean body weight, and dietary fat to satiety. Meaning you eat enough in a sitting to go easily until the next meal with minimal discomfort. Trust the process and stay away from the alcohol, starches, and sweets.

(Frank) #7

I respectfully disagree with your protein suggestion. The op is 6’6” so even on the low end he’s carrying around 200 lbs of lean mass. I’d think that 160g on the low end (.8g/lb lean mass) would be needed. Just a thought.

(Rafe) #8

That’s fine, everyone is different. The typical LCHF guideline for maintaining muscle is 1g per lean kilo of body mass which is about 0.45g/lb of lean body mass which would be around 90g for 200lbs of lean mass. Exercise and such would change that. Everyone is different and everyone could monitor how diet changes effect their ketone production. I have about 210lbs of lean body mass (dexa) and have 80-100g a day of protein.

(Scott) #9

One week? I would guess that if you are even in ketosis it would only be for maybe three days. No need to panic stay on plan and watch things start happening. Weigh if you like but don’t stress over it.

Brother, I started EXACTLY the same as you did… well I was 6’5" and 431 lbs but still…

The only advice I can give you is to eat as natural as you can in the beginning. I wanted to try all the keto hack foods but until I got the basics down, I tried to eat as plain as I could. Meat, cheese, veggies.

Breakfast was 2 or 3 eggs and some sausage crumbles cooked in a muffin pan. Lunch was almost always leftovers from dinner the night before. Dinner for me was ground meat or diced chicken, some cheese, just a touch of sour cream or ranch, hot sauce and plenty of greens to make a “taco salad” or some form of grilled meat seasoned with little bit of salt,pepper,garlic and onion powder and broccoli or cauliflower. You can see what I mean. You can mix and match as you see fit to keep from getting bored.

I know it’s hard to stick with something when you can’t see results. My home scale only went up to 400 lbs so I literally couldn’t see any numbers change for a while. Stay on the bus!

I also tracked my food for a few months so I could see exactly what I was eating.

Lastly, maybe try to drop the soda for a few weeks. I used to drink 4-5 cans of diet soda a day, but got myself down to one a day before I started keto. When I started I only drank tea, water, or powerade zero (only 1 a day because it messed with my stomach when I drank too much). I am now back to one can of soda a day and I’m actually going to stop that again because I’ve stalled for a little over a month.

Don’t lose faith. I was in your shoes, and now 7 months later I’m sitting at 6’5" and 317 lbs. Keep it stupid simple and check in here often. In fact, update this post when you do so I can see your progress.

(Matt Gilmer) #11

First, I want to thank each one of you for responding. I am overwhelmed by the caring community, especially each one of your posts. I am sorry it has taken me a few days to respond.

Second, each one of you were right. RobC was right about the scale. I have had several other people weigh on it and it has about .5% difference, which at my weight is ten pounds or more.

At the close of this weekend I am down three or four pounds. My GKI has remained at 5 or lower. My ketone reading has stayed static at 1.4. Somethings that I notice are that my clothes seem to fit a tad bit better and my the pain in my back (I’ve had two microsurgeries) seems to be lessening. My craving for sugar has nearly died and water tastes so much better. Avacados and greens are now appeal to me as opposed to feeling like prison food. Finally, my appetite has decreased and I am no longer looking at the clock wondering if it is time to eat. I think my previous self ate by the clock, or, ate as a mode of recreation. Eitherway, I am now eating two to three times a day only when hungry.

I intend to check back in here each week thanks to @Slabb. (Probably on Sundays)

Last if anyone has any tips for what Non-Scale Victories to look for, please let me know.

Thank each of you again.

definitely go with how your clothes are fitting. i do happen to weigh myself every day, because it’s like a pat on the back when i find that it’s dropped. but when it hasn’t, the victory for me is putting on now-comfortable pants that I know used to be too tight.

and read the “keto complaints” thread for some NSV’s!

(Cindy) #13

Matt, I didn’t weigh for the first 2 months of keto. I wanted to give it a chance without watching the scales. I did notice my t-shirts getting looser…and LONGER, which is funny to me. So watch for the overall changes. Sometimes those don’t show up by measurements, either, because if you lose 1/2 in on your back, chest, stomach, etc, it’s easy to miss it on a tape measure. But overall, it’s a lot of inches so your clothes will fit differently.

Only other suggestion I haven’t seen in this thread is that you might want to aim for 20 g TOTAL carbs. If you’re at 30 net, you might be getting close to the gray area of 50+ carbs. That’s still low carb, but not necessarily keto-land.

(Robert C) #14

@B_Smooth FYI - it was an accident I read this mention of myself. When you want to refer to someone, it is best to put an @ sign in from of their name - then they will get notified of the mention.

(Matt Gilmer) #15

Short Intro Message
All, I am sorry for not updating this post. First, I have lost 37lbs and things are going good. I will explain why I did not return here for a long time and what adjustments I made which resulted in weight loss and serious NSVs.

Failing To Update:
After conducting a self-audit, I realized that one week of dieting will not produce results and undo nearly a decade of poor lifestyle activities. So, I decided not to return here until I had truly made an attempt at lifestyle change, diet and exercise. At the same time, depression set in for about a month when weight loss never occurred. Here’s what I did.

My Hypothesis:
After I left the forum on Jan 20, 2019, I continued on the Ketogenic diet. By February 1, 2019 I still had not lost any weight. At this point, I hypothesized that I was suffering from a hormonal imbalance that was preventing my body from losing weight.

My Research
The first thing I did was start properly recording blood glucose levels. Patterns began to emerge. No matter how much sugar I ate or how little, my Glucose levels remained elevated. I am educated to the extent that I know that Glucose is regulated by Insulin and/or metabolic use for energy. It was obvious that the insulin produced by my body was incapable of normalizing the glucose levels in my body, i.e. insulin resistance.

I began researching the effects of insulin on the body. I finally determined that insulin is the gatekeeper to stored fat reserves. I will not bore you with the science. I will only suggest that you read “Why We Get Fat, And What To Do About It” by Taubes. Taubes mentions Keto but does not push you toward a diet. What Taubes does do is break down the science behind insulin, fat stores and de novo lipogenesis.

Correlations Between Glucose Levels And Weight Loss
So, for over a month I lost no weight. However, at the same time, my glucose levels would never fall to a normal range, fasting or not fasting. Dawn Effect or No Dawn Effect. There is a general scientific consensus that if you are able to lower glucose, you will lower insulin and then weight loss may occur. Among the science I studied, only two methods seemed to work, some form of ketosis and removing excess glucose. Ketosis would ensure that my body did not need glucose whatsoever to function. No glucose = go Insulin = fat Stores will be used. Don’t forget, at this point, I have not been able to lower my Glucose levels which in turn kept in insulin presence high in my blood.

Glucose Lowered, Insulin Normalized
So free roaming glucose is generally stored as fat. Although I was following Keto, my glucose levels were up due to insulin resistance. My research showed that exercise will require the body to burn excess glucose first. So, I started exercising in a fasted state in the morning. Guess what, my glucose levels began to normalize. The day glucose levels went down is the first day the scale went down.

Accidental Intermittent Fasting
I came to the conclusion of intermittent fasting before I knew it was a protocol for dieting. I had learned no matter what I ate, some insulin was required to counteract the food. Remember, if insulin is up fat stores will not release. So, it did not make sense to eat six meals a day, or three meals day. In my mind, the obvious solution was to eat as much as I needed in as little period of time so there would be more time between insulin spikes. Six small meals a day would basically keep my insulin levels elevated 16 hours a day. However, one large Keto meal a day would barely raise my glucose and give insulin little to no time to activate and stall weight loss. I googled this and to my surprise, there are cults of people who have all kinds of protocols for what I was doing. Little did I know I was already engaging in “intermittent fasting” following the 20/4 protocol. Some people call it the warrior diet.

Autophagy
Autophagy is the process by which the body consumes its own unhealthy cells and uses the debris to create new healthy protein. A Nobel Prize was just awarded for this research in late 2018. Little did I know, intermittent fasting forces Autophagy. I believe the hormonal issues and other issues which rapidly cleared up as a result of the 20/4 protocol were due in part to Keto and Autophagy. That is as far as I am willing to go with that claim. I’d encourage you to do your own research.

Results
I have lost 37 pounds over the course of 45 days. My clothes fit better, my skin has cleared up and my attitude has improved. My sleep is better but not perfect. My libido has improved and my energy levels are nearly double. My back and foot pain have decreased and my endurance has increased. My mind seems clear.

Conclusion
It is my personal opinion as a non-doctor that keto plus intermittent fasting normalized a hormonal imbalance in my body which has led to sustainable and ongoing weight loss.

Advice and Thanks
Don’t be me from the Jan 20 post. Do the research, ask why and by all means don’t “diet” and get upset if you don’t lose weight in six days.

I want to thank everyone on this forum who encouraged me. @Slabb actually sent me a PM to check on me when I did not return here. I owe him the biggest thanks. Guilt of failing to respond to his nice message kept me going and prompted me to retun here and update this thread.

Glad to hear from you! I’m even more glad to see all the research you did to find out what works for you. EveryBODY is different so what works for others may not work for you. Keep fighting the good fight.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #17

Big congrats for sticking to it and figuring out what you need to do for your body.

Also thanks for coming back and posting how you figured out what to do. So many people ask questions but you never hear if they were able to sort out an answer or just gave up. I think it is a crucial part, coming back and telling everyone your solution.

:grin:really nice job on the research and weight loss.

(Alec) #18

Matt
Your update post is a mini course in keto and IF. Your research is spot on. High BG means high insulin means no weight loss.

You found a way to lower your BG, you are now losing weight: 1lb per day? Wow!!! Fantastic!!

You are healing yourself every day. You will win and get to your target weight. And you will feel fantastic. Keep up the great work and keep up the exercise, which seemed to be your key.

Really glad you stuck with it and updated us.

It’s a great forum stick around.

But also glad you did your own reading. Some people try to “hack” through it all but lack the depth of information required for a more stable and long term result.

(Keto butts drive me nuts) #20

Really great info!! Thank you for sharing.