1 Question about Carnivore

(Davy) #1

Liver was a surprise to me. 8 oz of liver was 8g of carbs.

1. Do any of you hardcore carnivores eat liver? (what with the grams of carbs in there) Funny thing about the liver though; it really filled me up and I clocked in at 300 calories less than what I usually need or want for the day. So I just quit eating for the rest of the day.

(Robert C) #2

It seems that ā€œhalf Carnivoreā€ is plain Keto. Question 1 definitely is not a Carnivore question.

It might be a good idea to be careful with the terms - if you are reporting good health and significant weight loss but, using the word ā€œCarnivoreā€ while eating spinach and arugula - it can be very misleading to people thinking of going Carnivore (unless you always caveat that you are eating plants on Carnivore).

(Davy) #3

Correct. Will rephrase.

(Davy) #4

So you definitely donā€™t eat liver then.

(Katie) #5

I am carnivore and I eat a lot of liver; I crave it sometimes. The carbohydrates come from the glycogen in the liver, I believe. Scallops, clams, oysters, and shrimp also have a small amount of carbohydrates. Unless someone is has a very weak metabolism or other metabolic issue, I think that it is fine to have a moderate amount of these foods.

I have a hypothesis about a possible reason why you ate fewer calories. I heard that we can be stuffed with food but still starving for nutrients if the food that is filling us is devoid of nutrients (like junk food). Liver is extremely nutrient-dense, so your body did not compulse you to keep eating to fill those nutrients. I have experienced satiety with fewer calories when eating liver too.

(Elizabeth ) #6

I eat a pound of chicken livers every month to six weeks, I grew up with them and enjoy them. I never count anything. Carnivore almost 2 years after two years keto

Iā€™m carnivore and Iā€™m eating liver. I eat at least 14oz of organ meats per week, mostly liver and brain. The Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet (PKD) version of carnivore requires liver/organ meats. So YES, organ meats are fine with carnivore eating.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

I eat 2-4oz of beef or chicken liver pretty frequently lately. I think smaller regular servings is better than occasionally eating a lot of it. I get beef liver in 4oz individually wrapped thin steaks, cook them in butter or bacon grease. Chicken livers I like to cook with bacon cut in 1ā€ squares. I snip a few livers with scissors into the pan and when about half cooked add eggs for a great scramble. Brie doesnā€™t hurt either! I consider carbs in liver the best way to spend your carbs, not significant if youā€™re ZC/Carnivore. Same with eggs. :cowboy_hat_face:

I wouldnā€™t say hardcore carnivore for me, since i still eat a square of dark chocolate and drink coffee in the morning, but I have been researching and reading other peopleā€™s experiences to see if I should start eating liver, and most long-time carnivores will say itā€™s not necessary. So I just stick to beefā€¦ hamburger and steak. Occasionally shrimp or salmon but mostly beef. I donā€™t add extra fats other than the fats I use to cook the beef in the pan. But honestly, you guys, I cannot understand how any of you actually LIKE LIVER!!! :joy: Iā€™m so confused by that. Iā€™ve seen the tips of how to prepare it un-gaggable, and I tried one of them recently and it was still BLECH and my husband said no way is he touching that ever again. lol.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

@KetoMomof2teens The easiest way to incorporate liver and become accustomed to eating it is to cook it with other strong flavors. Bacon is a great vehicle as well as eggs and strong cheeses. Cut the liver in small pieces. Chicken livers are easier as an intro than beef. Try pĆ¢tĆ© spread on ham slices. Or not! I never loved liver but I have definitely gotten more fond of it lately. Small amounts are easier. Donā€™t cook it all the way, leave it pink. The more itā€™s cooked the stronger the taste. Less cooked liver is actually kind of sweet with less iron flavor. Or just try Brains :brain:!

:joy::joy::grin::cowboy_hat_face:

(Robert C) #11

Some people think organ meats can cause gout flares (link below).

Also, you should have yourself checked for iron overload (before starting Carnivore but especially before upping organ meats - which are very high in iron).

Yep eat liver regularly.
Had some today, actually.
I donā€™t measure or restrict it.

Actually itā€™s the texture I canā€™t stand!! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: Is pate really different? what about liverwurst?

Start with braunschweiger and liverwurst. If youā€™re keto, braunschweiger & mustard are yum!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

PĆ¢tĆ© is a spreadable smooth paste, basically butter and purĆ©ed liver. Often it has a few added ingredients like cooked onion, reduced wine, garlic, thyme etc. Refrigerated as a small loaf and served chilled with bread or crackers traditionally. You can make it with any poultry livers or pig liver. The other flavors blend and mellow the liver taste. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Daisy) #16

Iā€™m carnivore and eat liver so far in 2 forms. 1. Frozen raw liver ā€œvitaminsā€ with salt. 2. Ketogenic girlā€™s liver pate recipe.

Frozen raw is my favorite way if I have well sourced liver. I cut it up into individual slices and will pull a slice out of the freezer at a time.

Hardcore here and no I donā€™t do liver. Just truly do not like it but heck if you doā€¦you eat the heck out of it :slight_smile: good for you.

And the carbs in liver mean absolutely nothing at all.

Remember this at all times, ANY AND ALL carbs from meat/seafood mean nothing at all. This carb is NOT wrapped around by plant material that is an anti-nutrient etc.

Any and all meat/seafood with any trace or a few carbs means nothing at all on carnivore. When you eat carbs from plants/sugar junk etc and all that type of any other food than meat/seafood then it means something.

And yes if you are full and happy, quit eating til you want more again.

You are doing it all right!!!

Dairy is a swing vote on ā€˜carbsā€™ in a way that those carbs are kinda in that grey area of ā€˜are they meat/seafoodā€™ truly or just an allowance we let into our carnivore life cause they are products of an animal but cheese isnā€™t crapped out by a cow and and cream cheese isnā€™t growing on the side of a cow or anything like that LOLā€¦man made and we know dairy effects all so different. Those carbs are a bit more sketchy on their ā€˜worthā€™ to a carnivore.

meat/seafood carbs are nothing. they mean absolutely nothing to us carnivores at all. they are wrapped around good protein and are nil basically. so eat away!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

Liver tastes terrible if itā€™s overcooked. Eating my motherā€™s liver, God rest her soul, always tasted like eating sandpaper, back when I was a child. In adulthood, a new lover took me to dinner at his friendsā€™ house, and wanted me to make a good impression. They were serving liver, so I choked some down to be polite. My, was it tasty! I ended up having two servings, as I recall.

Before we left, our host and hostess called the cook out to receive our compliments. When I asked for her secret she told me that the key to tasty liver is to cook it for no more than 90 seconds on each side. She was right. Liver thatā€™s not overcooked is yummy. Overcooked liver should be used only for shoe repair.

(Davy) #20

Good to knowā€¦donā€™t over cook it.
Itā€™s settled thenā€¦liver will be a ā€˜rest of my lifeā€™ food. Fang just needs to try some good chicken liver with Kraft Mayo. mmmmmm She may give up her dark chocolate.