0 carb bread with wheat in it

(Quil1030) #1

I have found some 0 carb bread but it does contain forms of wheat in it. Is this ok? What are the concerns for consuming this bread? Should I just stick with something free of anything wheat such as Foxhill bread?

(Dana) #2

I don’t think wheat is necessarily something you must avoid at all costs, but can you tell us about the bread? Give a picture of the ingredients/nutrition label? Zero carbs sounds too good to be true, so I would be skeptical.

(Quil1030) #3

Here is what I got I want to be diligent with this as you said it seems too good to be true

(Amy Ramadan) #4

I don’t know anything about this bread, but Joseph’s low carb pita bread is a great option. Also the lavish bread. They taste great, the pitas have 6 net carbs, and they are very affordable reasonably priced!!

(Laurie) #5

One concern would be the gluten. I thought gluten-free was for other people, but a couple of years ago I began to notice that it really did have a bad effect on me.

(Quil1030) #6

Good thought I have never had a gluten sensitivity in the past so you think it’s because you moved to a ketogenic diet that caused your sensitivity or was it a separate cause? I’ll definitely keep an eye on it either way.

(Jennifer) #7

My personal rule is, if I don’t bake it myself, then I can’t be certain of the net carb content. There are some great recipes out there. :slight_smile:

(Laurie) #8

I wasn’t keto at the time. Maybe it was just getting older and paying attention to, and caring more about, what my body was telling me. All I know is when I ate lots of pasta or bread, I had a gut ache. I ate “lots” of food in general, and only wheat products affected me that way, so I’m pretty sure it was the gluten (not just an effect of overeating).

We are all different, and it might be okay for you. Gluten is a protein, and some vegans use it as a meat substitute.

Which might be a good start for baking a loaf (for a complete baking novice), to have with my bacon and eggs?
And what are the macros?

Thanks for the help.

(Victor Dan) #10

@ Quil1030
Hi!
There is no such thing as ZERO CARB BREAD. This is ridiculous !!! Wheat itself is a carbohydrate (carbon + hydrogen). Flour is Definitely a very powerful carbohydrate. I don`t know where did you get that.
But, as an alternative, you can eat Whole Bread made out of Whole Flour (which is impossible to get these days).
So sorry, but I can’t stop laughing :))))))) :slight_smile:

(Brian) #11

I’m not staunchly opposed to using wheat gluten if it is something that you are able to use without serious problems. (I rarely use any but don’t have an allergy to gluten.) When isolated from the other parts of the wheat, it is basically just the protein part. The starch is removed.

You can make your own gluten from wheat if you really want to work hard enough. You basically grind the wheat, make a dough and wash it out multiple times. Starch, which is where most of the carbs reside, is water soluble and will wash away. The gluten is not water soluble so won’t be washed away like the starch will be. There are several ways to do it and it doesn’t have to be a process done using lots of chemicals and horrid stuff you wouldn’t want to touch with a 10’ pole. You can do it right in your own kitchen.

That said, I am still not convinced that “whole flour” is possible. The “whole” suggests that the wheat is intact as it comes from the plant, which would seem like it would affect how that would be digested. But the “flour” suggests that it’s ground up into tiny particles. Just the act of grinding it into a fine powder, which is what flour is, means that it’s not “whole” anymore and would seem to be digested much differently, at least to my thinking. Yes, all of the ingredients are there, including all of the fiber (bran), but the wheat berry is no longer in it’s little package the way it came off of the stalk of wheat.

(I used to make my own bread starting with grinding the wheat for it. I used the whole grain to make the flour, nothing taken away from it. I suspect it was about as healthy of a real whole wheat bread as one could find with the finest of ingredients. And I suppose one could argue it was better than eating some of the fluffed chemical soup some people might call commercially made keto bread. My personal jury is still out on that one. But just sharing.)