Zoe Harcombe lecture: the obesity epidemic

(Alec) #1

Having discovered Zoe has a podcast series I am slowly listening to them. I just listened to her 2012 lecture entitled The Obesity Epidemic. In this lecture she said 2 very interesting things that I didn’t quite understand, and would like the groups views or understandings:

1. The only way to create bodyfat is with glucose. You need a glucose backbone to the bodyfat cell. If you don’t have available glucose, you can’t create bodyfat. Is this right? Or have I misunderstood? If this is true, what happens to excess dietary fat if there is no spare glucose? Does the body create its own glucose to do this if it doesn’t have any dietary glucose?
  2. When you are eating your BMR, calories from carbs don’t count. Meaning that if you are not eating your BMR in “fat, protein, vitamins and minerals” you are undereating. When I heard her say this, I thought just wow! But I am struggling to understand/believe it. Does anybody know or have a view on this.

If I had Zoe’s number I would call her up and ask her, but I don’t! :scream:

Thanks for your help. Both the above I think are important understandings if they are right. But having been here for nearly 4 months, I have not seen or heard anything like this.
Cheers
Alec

(Ron) #2

Question 1-

Question 2-

I will have to think about my take personally on this?:thinking:

(Karen) #3

Link to podcast?
Time stamp to statement?

K if you have it. Sounds interesting.[quote=“Keto6468, post:3, topic:47637, full:true”]
Link to podcast?
Time stamp to statement?

K
[/quote]

(Alec) #4

K
I tried to find a way to link to the podcast, but couldn’t as it is not on her website (that I could see). But it is in Zoe’s podcast feed in iTunes dated 10th Feb 2012. I will re-listen and find the time stamps. I do remember the 2nd statement was right near the end.
Cheers
Alec

(Todd Allen) #5

We always have glucose available. Our bodies make it if we don’t eat it. And much of the fat we consume already contains glycerol.

(Alec) #6

Todd
Thanks. So in essence not ingesting carbs doesn’t limit the creation of bodyfat, because the body will find some from somewhere if it wants to make bodyfat. Is that right?
Cheers
Alec

(Todd Allen) #7

I watched a Chris Masterjohn video that discussed this and I don’t remember the details exactly, but the basic claim was that if we eat anything to excess we can store it as fat. However, conversion processes can be expensive so the amount of fat stored can be somewhat less than the calorie excess would suggest. Conversion losses for storing dietary fat would be quite low but very low insulin might inhibit or slow storage.

(Alec) #8

Time references and link to the lecture

1. 38.50
  2. 59.15