Zero Carb Wine..... Tesco/UK

(Alex ) #1

No real reason for the post, other than saying I’ve just bought two bottles of this after reading some epic reviews! Will report back on Christmas Day when it’s finally opened!

Zero Carb, Zero Sugar.

thought I needed something a little less heavy than Vodka with dinner!!

(Polly) #2

Thank you for the idea @Alex_PN. I may pop into Tesco this week and have a look.

Looking forward to your review at Christmas.

(Alex ) #3

It’s apparently quite dry for a white sparkling wine, I just needed something to toast Christmas Day over dinner!

(Alex ) #4

Should add, it’s £10 a bottle! Needs to at least be half decent

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

Making wine is a process of yeast eating the sugar and converting it to ethanol. Generally, dry wines contain very little residual sugar. Most contain none or so close to none it doesn’t matter. That’s why they’re called ‘dry’. So it’s just marketing to claim ‘0 carb, 0 sugar’; The ‘0 fat & saturates’ is totally laughable, no wine contains fat of any sort. If you want a glass or two of wine, just stick to dry white wines and you’ll be OK. If you want to make sure you drink absolute zero residual sugar, then have a shot or two of rum, gin, whiskey, etc. Just be aware that ethanol interrupts ketosis while your metabolism extracts the energy from it, but it does not ‘kick you out of ketosis’. Once the ethanol is burned, ketosis continues where it left off. Cheers! :wine_glass:

(Alex ) #6

Vodka with Christmas Dinner though!? :face_vomiting:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

Vodka wouldn’t be my first choice either. I’d much prefer Tanqueray Rangpur. Or 99 Banana Schnapps with a little soda water.

Each to their own. I see no problem with it though I would prefer my favorite whisky :wink: But rum is just as fine, it’s even festive, eggnog and whatnot!
But you can drink wine so enjoy that. I can’t drink it in big enough amounts, it would just spoil (except the most sugary ones but I can’t really drink them anymore) so strong booze is my way. Or water or tea or coffee, of course. But sometimes I fancy booze.

I really wouldn’t worry about any dry wine carb wise even if the amount is normal. The carb content is small. I get much more sugar from my food on carnivore… It’s different,. of course but alcohol is already a toxin, 0 or almost 0 sugar is kind of insignificant… But I can accept some people think different.

(Alex ) #9

We shall see, I’d like to see if the reviews stand up in terms of the cost vs flavour, I’ve kind of accepted it won’t be as palatable as my favourite New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, but you never know.

I will most likely finish the bottle off, and this is where the macros start to be an issue if I drink standard wine.

There are some zero sugar alcoholic seltzer’s on Amazon I noticed today as well, I’m all for trying some new things here and there.

Christmas Day is going to be bittersweet, I’m seeing real progress with weight loss at the minute, it’s taken many weeks this year to get into my keto groove, and it be doing what it should, so I don’t want any stupid decisions to f@ck up my successes :slightly_smiling_face:

(Marianne) #10

Oh, that sounds delicious!

(Marianne) #11

My preference is brut champagne, but I think it has like six carbs per glass. :sob:

(Marianne) #12

I commend you for your wariness of straying too far from keto. I’ve learned after a lifetime of food and carb addiction that I just need to stay away from certain foods and stick to keto. Small sacrifice for what keto has done for me.

It may sound overly dramatic, but I have a healthy fear of indulging in any of the things I used to eat because I know where they will take me. My husband has followed keto somewhat since I started. He has always been thin (although one of the reasons he has worked out for forty years is to control his weight as well as to be fit). He still thinks he should be able to have a “cheat day” once every two weeks or month. His drug of choice is chocolate. As many times as he has attempted to confine his cheat day to 24 hours, it has always resulted in 3-5 days of being out of control with the candy. In spite of it, he still insists that he “should” be able to do this and just hasn’t figured out the secret yet. Okay. Not me; I know where this will take me - every time. I try to remind him that really what is worse than anything is that he is completely messing with his metabolic process (from burning fat to carbs), that takes weeks to recover from. I’m not going to put my body through that anymore. It’s been through enough.

You can still have a delicious Christmas dinner on keto. Our special dinner is a prime rib roast - omg, so delicious when cooked perfectly with a meat thermometer. If you like mushrooms, @ctviggen just posted a recipe for Stuffed Mushroom Casserole that I made last night and is definitely a show stopper - so delicious. We happen to love Brussels sprouts and jazz them up with bacon grease and parmesan. They are the perfect conduit for any combination of decadent things. You can splurge and make keto ice cream for dessert. I’ve tried it and it is luscious, especially the chocolate. So many delicious options for a memorable dinner.

Enjoy!

(Alex ) #13

Exactly :pray:

(Alex ) #14

Looking forward to this arriving in December though…

Pure Zero Carb smoothness! I won’t be drinking it with food though…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Every recovering alcoholic has to learn this, or they don’t day sober. Sugar/carb addicts need to learn the equivalent lesson, as well. The myth of “surely you can have just one” is a seductive lie. The very definition of being an alcoholic is someone who can’t “have just one.” Fortunately, the majority of the population gets addicted to neither alcohol nor sugar/carbohydrate and can have “just one” and then stop. But it’s foolish for an addict to try to imitate them. For an addict, total abstinence is actually easier than trying to indulge in moderation.

(Marianne) #16

So true!

I quit smoking over twenty years ago. I used to love to smoke. It was hard but not as hard as conquering my food addiction. I was never successful at any diet long term until I found keto (to me, it’s not a “diet”). I had several periods where I was at my goal weight, but it was a horrible struggle and consumed every part of my life trying to maintain that, along with feeling tremendous guilt and shame. The weight always came back. Keto has been such a miracle to me. I’ve never found a way to lose weight and keep it off while eating rich, decadent, delicious foods. So satisfying! Yes, so I don’t eat sugar, bread, pasta carbs - so what. Small sacrifice.

Still dallying with my last addiction and trying to control it - alcohol.

(Alex ) #17

It’s all a journey!

(LORELLE Harper) #18

I buy this wine online and its much cheaper from their site. i got six bottles on black friday and they worked out at just under 6 pounds a bottle including delivery so worth looking on their site, cheers

(Alex ) #19

Really? I mean I got some normal wine for the family too so managed to get 25% off for 6 bottles, but that sounds much cheaper. £10 is a lot though right?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

Ten quid isn’t really any more than a decent California wine costs in the U.S. Imports from France and Italy cost more than that.