Zero Carb 2 days a week?

(Robin) #1

I’ve maintained my 100-110 pound loss for a year now (woohoo!) but I’m still learning about how to maintain.

I always fast for about 16 hours, sometimes more. I’ve been trying my own version of the 5:2 Fast Diet where I was doing 2 days a week of a Protein Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF). My version of this consisted basically of about 80-100 grams of protein and maybe 800 calories, low fat. This has been fine for maintaining but I wanted to switch things up a bit and maybe even lost about 5 more pounds.

This got me thinking of switching those 2 days to zero carb as an experiment. Has anyone else done this? Could I expect to see any sort of a ‘reset’ or even weight loss with doing ZC 2 days a week and then Keto/LC on the other days?

Any advice would be appreciated!

(Chris) #2

Not familiar with what the “Fast” diet is, but PSMF is more extreme than traditional ZC.

(Robin) #3

Sorry, edited my comment to the 5:2 Fast Diet (Michael Mosely). So your thinking might be that I would see less results with ZC compared to PSMF?

(VLC.MD) #4

Great idea.
Try it and see how it goes.

(Justin Jordan) #5

What’s the breakdown of the remaining 400 calories? I’d guess the only the zero carb would help is if those days are including 50 grams or whatever of carbs.

But even then, doesn’t seem like it’d make a huge difference.

Still, if you want to, why not? You can always switch back.

(Robin) #6

I typically eat roughly 30g carbs and 40g fat and 100g protein on the PSMF. Again, I only do that 2 days a week. The rest of the week I eat low carb.

(Chris) #7

PSMF is low calorie, very low carb, moderate protein and very low fat. Essentially just the bare min amount of protein to stave off protein wasting effects of fasting.

I think your PSMF template is incorrect.

(Justin Jordan) #8

I’d guess dropping those 30 carbs won’t make much of a difference, but then again, no harm in giving it a whirl.