Zero Acres article on How Vegetable Oils Make Us Fat

(Edith) #21

It does mention in the article that high PUFA oils heated multiple times were more problematic than high PUFA oil heated no times. So, maybe it’s the heating of the oils that is the real culprit?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

As I understand it, there are several concerns.

The first is that many polyunsaturated fatty acids are completely new to the human diet, and many of them appear to have undesirable effects when they are taken up into cell walls (for example). The polyunsaturates that we evolved to eat are not of concern in this way.

The second is that many of these polyunsaturates are not only new to our diet, but they are also vulnerable to damage from excessive heat, and some of the compounds into which they break down are known to be harmful to the human body. And others of those compounds are, again, not substances that we evolved to handle well, and their effects on the body are also damaging.

Third is that polyunsaturates are not as stable as other types of fats, so they tend to go rancid quickly.

There is also a concern that, even if the fats in the original seeds might possibly be benign, the amount of processing required to turn the oils into something palatable and attractive may well be doing damage to the fatty acids. Nina Teicholz describes the amount of processing required to turn a seed oil from a nasty sludge into something that looks good in a bottle, and it makes for disturbing reading. Apparently, a lot of heating, fractionating, and bleaching is required. Teicholz quotes a remark to the effect that it is difficult to tell, from the outside, whether a factory is a petroleum refinery or a vegetable oil refinery.

The fruit oils (avocado, coconut, and olive), on the other hand, require minimal processing, little more than just pressing the oil out of the flesh of the fruit.

At any rate, these are some of the concerns raised about the industrial seed oils.

In regards to causing inflammation. Yes.
In regards to being the primary cause of weight gain. No.

(Bob M) #24

Another reason why I think factors other than fat type are more important. Here’s a new drug and what it does:

This drug actually did remarkably well in a new study of diabetics, causing quite a lot of weight loss.

But it’s all based on hormones, and has nothing to do with fat.

This is why on the days I ate a TON of saturated fat (what I call a supranormal amount, can’t be achieved normally, also very high calorie), I would not be hungry at dinner. However, if I ate dinner, I’d take small amount, then hunger would kick in. Then I’d take more. And I’d end up eating a normal meal. I believe this is a failure in hormone regulation.

So, to me, hormones >>>>> any effect caused by fat.

And lately I’ve been trying to eat until I’m not full. After a while, I do get full, which to me means my hormones have to “catch up” to what I ate. (Unfortunately, this works best for my first meal around lunch, as I get plenty of time to get full; for dinner, not as well, as I eat too close to bedtime.)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

I wonder what effect it had on their insulin-resistance, however.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

This is actually your body working as designed. If you weren’t hungry at dinnertime and didn’t eat, you’d probably be fine. But the body is not going to refuse to take advantage of an opportunity to stock up on energy. Unfortunately, we are so wedded to eating when the clock says it’s time to, that it becomes difficult to trust the lack of hunger and simply not eat.

But some people can eat a bit just fine. I consider it an individual factor. I can’t eat little (with very specific rare exceptions), neither can my SO. We either eat a full meal or not at all. It’s like our bodies “wake up” and mean business when some food enters, no matter hunger, appetite or need for fuel (he has these at the same time, they aren’t much correlated in my case, making deciding when to eat slightly harder. I tend to ignore hunger alone nowadays as that has no consequences. I try to eat when I feel the need).

(Edith) #28

Paul may correct me, but I read several years ago that the purpose of appetizers is to do just that, prime us for eating. When insulin is low (if we are metabolically healthy) we use our fat stores between meals. Burning fat keeps us from feeling hungry. When we eat a little something such as an appetizer, our body secretes insulin to stop the fat burning and prime us for the meal that is about to arrive. So, even if you weren’t feeling hungry, as soon as you ate a little bit you stopped the fat burning mode.

So this is a normal thing? For many of us, yes but it seems most people uses small meals, at least sometimes and it works for them. Even on this very forum, I typically read about quite small meals and they often bring long term satiation… It’s so weird to me, I never worked like that.

And the definition of snacking is eating tiny meals, it seems (I always thought it’s just eating snacky things whatever they exactly are. but English isn’t my first language or even the second though I never use the second anymore…). So it works for people…? Under certain circumstances?

Even I can have tiny meals sometimes without a problem so tiny meals causing hunger can’t be very general.

(And I suspect tiny meals mean different things for me and others.)

By the way I don’t really get the concept of appetizers… Do people need gateway food all the time then? It happens to me sometimes, I am in need of food but I can’t eat due to negative appetite (but it doesn’t seem to be a common combo to have, I am just this weird). I still rarely use such an item but sometimes I do, it’s always something liquid or super soft. Appetizers are normal food, they wouldn’t help much unless they would suddenly bump up my appetite but that’s not an easy thing to do if real need for fuel couldn’t do that.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

No correction from me; I agree completely.

(PJ) #31

I saw this on the Saturated Fat subreddit, and thought some here might find it interesting. It suggests there are certain genes that are much more prone to gaining weight on high satfat

Gaining Weight on a High Saturated Fat Diet? This Could be Why.

The link below is a simple explanation of how certain DNA types impact how we process saturated fats. There are numerous studies that support this hypothosis. I love satuarated fat, and keto, and carnivore ways of eating. Ate nose to tail (love liver, kidneys, etc), all grass fed, with carbs (Brad’s protocol) and without. In all cases I gained weight (fat, not muscle). The APOA2 gene referenced below is one, FTO and PPARG are two others. I am heterozygous for all three, essentially meaning, no saturated fat, no carbs. Wonderful. The opposite of winning the DNA lottery. It’s an interesting quick read. https://www.xcode.life/dna-and-nutrition/saturated-fat-consumption-and-the-apoa2-gene/