ZC - Getting Bloodwork Soon, Which Tests? [update] Results Posted! - edit: Cholesterol Help Requested!

(Chris) #1

I don’t have a pre-ZC or even pre-keto baseline, unfortunately. Anyway, I am seeing my new doc tomorrow after not having been to one in quite some time. I think he’s going to order bloodwork at the very least. My question is, do you think there are some tests I need to specifically request?

I’d like to get a lipid panel to see what my cholesterol looks like, preferable with LDL particle size.

I’d like a testosterone level check

Calcium score if possible

???

Any thoughts? I’m 34 and male.

(CharleyD) #2

Complete Blood Count
High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein
Hemoglobin A1C
LDL Particle size will be from an NMR (nice to have one)

Calcium score will be from an imaging lab, since it’s a CT scan, but if you’re game for that also get the Carotid Intima Media Thickness Ultrasound.

(Chris) #3

AST (SGOT), and ALT (SGPT)- Liver tests… probably decent to know. The normal panels probably cover the rest.

Ask for Vit D test?

(Diane) #4

I would suggest A Complete Metabolic Panel which would check kidney function, liver function, and electrolytes, etc. It’s a good basic check of overall health. For instance, if the liver enzymes are high, it can be an indication of a fatty liver. I like to check vitamin D-25 hydroxy levels. Mine went up quite a bit after eating Keto for 3 months, even without supplementation.

(Chris) #5

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

(Diane) #6

Oh. And a fasting insulin. If you can get your doctor to order it.

you have youth on your side so a calcium scan might not be warranted.

Yes to HbA1c, kidney function, vit D and fasting insulin, but as @fredmull says, you are young yet. Calcium and cholesterol may not be all that helpful for a while. Unless you have a family history?

(CharleyD) #9

It’s always good to get a baseline measurement to know if his dietary intervention is improving or worsening those markers of note.

(Chris) #10

He wanted to start here based on age, body comp and muscle mass.

(Diane) #11

I’m glad you can get these done now. He’s being conservative which is pretty standard. But you got a great deal of what you wanted. Too bad about the fasting insulin (the fasting glucose should be a part of the CMP), HbA1c and the inflammatory markers.

(Erin Macfarland ) #12

My most recent labs were done while on ZC. I have had labs done on keto so I was curious about my lipid panel since I’ve learned a lot about cholesterol recently from @DaveKeto and @siobhan. I fit their profile for a “lean mass hyper responder” which essentially means I’m lean, active, fat adapted and have high total and high ldl cholesterol and low trigs. My numbers were high on keto, usually total cholesterol in the low 300’s, but this most recent result on ZC was total cholesterol at almost 400 and ldl almost 200, with very low trigs at around 40. So if you haven’t had labs done and you get results like mine don’t freak out. Have a look at this page, you probably fit the profile since you’re lean and active too (from what I know after following you on this forum!) http://cholesterolcode.com/are-you-a-lean-mass-hyper-responder/

(Chris) #13

Update: Had my blood drawn yesterday morning in the middle of the 3rd noreaster in 2 weeks. Hoping to have results soon, I will post!

(Chris) #14

Here we go, doc wants to see me.

(Diane) #15

Wow. Your HDL and trigs are fabulous! Congratulations. Looks like you might need to ask for an NMR lipoprifile to see the LDL subfractions, etc. That should put his mind at ease.

(Chris) #16

This guy thinks the research on particle size tests and whatnot are total bunk. I haven’t read the research to refute him, but I think taking a second test using the Feldman protocol should work no?

(Chris) #17

Does anyone have something easy to discuss with my doc? I KNOW that my high LDL, while not a problem in my mind, is going to be a hot topic when I get into his office. I’ve read through Cholesterol Code, and it makes sense to me, but I don’t really see anything I could use in an argument. From our first conversation, I believe the doctor is going to push in the direction of using drugs to lower my LDL.

Now, right at the moment my only rebuttal is “give me another shot, doc”, which will give me time to do a 3 day high fat high calorie Feldman binge prior to the test. This should theoretically lower my LDL to a “better range”.

Anyway, I’m looking for the studies, if any, that Feldman bases his information on, or studies showing statins aren’t as effective at preventing CVD as they are claimed to be. Or that LDL is not bad on a ketogenic / carnivorous diet because of “what other factors” (inflammation, high insulin, etc).

Any thoughts?

(Brian D.) #18

I’m not sure that LDL should be ignored or written off entirely. Jason Fung has a pretty good blog post here on cholesterol and fasting wherein the latter half is focused on LDL and drugs.

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-lowers-cholesterol-fasting-16/

(Chris) #19

That article doesn’t really tell me much. It doesn’t mention why LDL is “bad” cholesterol.

However it does mention this, which again, I already knew:

One might (mistakenly) think that decreasing dietary cholesterol may reduce blood cholesterol levels. However, 80% of the cholesterol in our blood is generated by the liver, so reducing dietary cholesterol is quite unsuccessful. Studies going back to Ancel Key’s original Seven Country Studies show that how much cholesterol we eat has very little to do with how much cholesterol is in the blood. Whatever else he got wrong, he got this right – eating cholesterol does not raise blood cholesterol.

Is there something specific I should look for here?

(Adam Kirby) #20

Just out of curiosity, why do you have to keep seeing this doctor?