Zaps in my hands while riding

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #1

Hi bike enthusiasts. I feel like I’m shifting to the next level on my keto lifestyle journey. I’ve started regular bike rides, but I’m rather a noob when it comes to them. I have a 2nd hand Raleigh Canada mountain bike that was a hand me down from a family member who move away and I’ve got a couple of questions…

1. the handle bars are at about seat height but I feel like I’m hunched over and putting too much weight on them. Is this just lazy muscles that will feel more comfortable as I ride more or is are they not set at the right height?
  2. I get zaps in my hands right in the bottom of my palms every now and again. Is this me putting too much weight on my wrists?
  3. the seat is fairly cushy but it starts to hurt after a couple hours in my perineum region. Does this mean it should be tilted down more at the front so that my arse cheeks take more load? (I tried that but I felt like I was sliding off the seat all the time)

Back to the 2nd hand thing… A workmate scoffed at me for riding a “department store” brand bike and said real bikes (What are they?) are 1000x better. Is this true?

I did 20k’s fasted last week and 30k’s today…feels good otherwise…thanks.

(less is more, more or less) #2

Here in the USA, most bike shops will check your fit (ergonomic accommodations by the bike) either for free or for a reasonable fee. I’ve done this many times and never regretted it. Having a second pair of eyes (and distance) can provide a clear image of your posture. This is important, as lower-back problems can also happen if you’re not properly fitted for your bike.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

Buy padded bike shorts if you’re going to be doing serious miles. Your posterior will thank you.

(karen) #4

I hate to admit it but I bought two department-store type bikes and put about 20 miles on each one. Then I bought a really nice (originally very expensive) bike at a 2nd hand store and yeah, it made all the difference in the world, I feel like I’m flying. I think this may be very personal, both of the other bikes were heavy and I’m small and not very strong, so it felt like I was pedalling a car, the “real” bike I can lift over my head with one arm. Love it love it love it.

(less is more, more or less) #5

I couldn’t agree more. Most department store bikes are crap. They can mess you up as well. Always wasted money.

I agree with @Screenack that visiting a bike shop is a good idea, get them to help make sure your adjustments are correct. Even with correct adjustments, there will probably be some unique sore spots for a while (like your butt) but I believe for most people the soreness associated with pressure points go away after some regular riding. Bike shorts do help, especially at first, after a while you’ll probably find you don’t need as much padding. I’m not familiar with what you’re describing in your hands though (maybe others do?), if it’s something that is exacerbating/causing a repetitive stress injury, that may be a different issue altogether.

My handle bars are definitely a little higher than my seat, even on my road bike. I get a really stiff neck and shoulders if they are any lower.

And I “third” the recommendation that if you’re going to do a lot of biking, a nicer bike would be much more fun and rewarding.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #7

Thanks for the quick replies…I got some homework to do!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

The zap in the hands sounds like you’re pinching nerves. I get this if I’m doing something with a lot of pressure, such as trying to cut through wire with scissors (don’t ask). I also got it when I had a job where I had to use my palm and push down really hard to pop a plastic extender on a car visor (assembly line). I’d get a sharp zap and then a moment of numbness immediately after.

I’m pretty sure if I had to do manual heavy duty work with my hands a lot, I’d end up with carpal tunnel syndrome really fast.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #9

Yep…that’s exactly what it feels like…zapps then they tingling/numbness for a short while. I think I’m putting too much pressure on my wrists. I’m going to adjust the handle bars and seat and see if that helps.

First thing you need to do is check your seat height, most people have the seat at a height where both feet touch the ground which is incorrect. With your butt on the seat and one of your legs about 90% extended with a VERY slight bend in the knee right before you bottom out while on a pedal THAT is where seat height goes. Once that’s done see when you grab your bars your wrists should be neutral. If their in a position other than neutral when your sitting at the correct height you will have the issues your describing. Same goes for handlebar length. The ones on there are probably fine but if there too far off for you in either direction it can also cause those problems.

A bike shop can recommend a good seat (saddle) for how you want to ride. Picking the right one for your body type and riding style is a HUGE night and day difference in the experience. On the cheap vs expensive bike, minus things like disc brakes it’s all the little things that make the more expensive ones nice. A good saddle, correct brake adjustment, and having the derailleurs adjusted corrected will make any bike ride 100% better. Don’t waste money on an expensive bike until you decide you really want to spend some time on one. If you DO decide that, then yes, it’s worth it.

(Tom Seest) #11

Yes. Watch the zapps, etc. That’s probably your Ulnar nerves getting inflamed. Having gone through that when I first started riding, I recommend you take it seriously.

Best wishes riding…

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #12

Did you correct it with position/posture?

(Tom Seest) #13

Yes. I ended up adjusting the handlebar height which made me put more weight on the but which led to less stress on the hands / wrists. Had more weight on the but, but the padding in the shorts and the seat eliminated any problems there.

(ianrobo) #14

yep if it is that much of a problem then I would definitely say get a proper bike fit, it is a bit expensive but the layout on cash will save you in the long run