Your kryptonite?

My last run through Asia reminded me of my keto kryptonite. Portuguese egg tarts and Din Tai Fung Man this xiao long bao are awesome. And I don’t eat a few. Good there isn’t a DTF in my state.

What is yours, if any? Strategy for dealing with it? Mine is to give in.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Do opiates count? :grin: My strategy is abstinence. I don’t have any kryptonite foods. :cowboy_hat_face:

Mine is similar to yours. My father is Chinese and my mother is Polish & Hungarian so I was raised on all sorts of dumplings and noodles. I think it’s that comfort food feelings and memories that get me. Plus, I mean… dumplings. :dumpling: Thankfully, there is not one single dim sum place in my city!

(Marianne) #4

“Picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue.”

:rofl:

(Marianne) #5

Hmmm; would have to say pizza.

Won’t go there; am to afraid too. Small sacrifice.

(Heather Meyer) #6

PEANUT BUTTER!!! 1 tbsp is never enough!!
Its soooo good its BAD!!! I will eat the whole jar in a day…i kid not!

(Heather Meyer) #7

And i agree…abstinence is the only way for me in this case.

(Stephanie ) #8

ANYTHING Potato

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #9

Good ice cream. Esp one with chocolate and peanut butter, or salted caramel. Sometimes I remember to focus on my goals and I am able to resist. If I’m low tho, I tend to give in.

(Scott) #10

Craft beer, all four I had last night were my last one. :beer:
What did I expect going to see live music at the taproom. Well, the dry rub chicken wings were keto.

Homemade potato bread, toasted and slathered with butter. …number 1.
Depending on if I crave sweet or savory:
Buttered noodles
Patisserie Cream
Reese’s Pieces…or, Reese’s PB cups

Surprisingly, my cravings for these things have dwindled incredibly. But the smell of toast…goodness! I was making toast for hubby and the tribe, then suddenly needed an intervention a couple weeks ago. That was close!

('Jackie P') #12

Mangos with lime, pineapple with mint sugar, cherries! Watermelon with feta cheese, olives, mint, pomegranate seeds and pomegranate molasses! Mainly fruit really!

(Liz Ellen) #13

I miss street tacos!

(Jane Reed) #14

Ice cream and fruit, especially fruit. Can’t resist home grown, tree ripened peaches…like the ones hanging on my tree.

(Liz) #15

Proper shortbread ! Full of butter which is good but those dratted sugar and flour carbs make it an absolute no for me now.
I was tempted to make a keto version but decided if it was good I would overeat that too…so abstinence is the only way for me and the longer I am keto the less I miss it…if the craving gets too bad a slice of salted butter straight from the fridge does it for me!
Good luck conquering your kryptonite :handshake:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #16

:rofl: This made me LOL, David.

(Will knit for bacon. ) #17

Dulce de leche. I used to make my own by submersing a can of sweetened condensed milk in water in my Instant Pot, setting it for 20 minutes, and leaving it to cool overnight.

I always intended to use it in baked goods but usually I’d just open the can and grab a spoon instead. Pure bliss! I enjoy my keto foods but I have yet to find one that makes my eyes roll backwards like dulce de leche used to.

(Brandy) #18

I’m all about the dim sum too. We have two DTF in our area and a fantastic International District with restaurants that beat the pants off DTF in both taste and price. At first it was a problem for me that was only solved by the fact that I live on an island and have to take a car on a boat and cross the water if I want to get my hands on any of it. That, coupled with the long lines at arrival kept us out of there more than a couple of times a year. But we do still make a point to go at Christmas. Year before last I pounded baskets of dumplings, which was my way, historically speaking. Interestingly though, last year I could only eat a few and while it tasted good, I felt so poorly afterward that I deemed my all time favorite food completely unnecessary. To be honest, it kind of made me sad.

Rebel Ice Cream. Is like my alter ‘Rebel’ ego takes over and I have absolutely no control.

Beef jerky is one of my problems. I can eat a whole extra jumbo family sized bag of it in 24 hrs, then feel like hell afterwards. Now, if I find myself eyeballing the jerky section at the grocery store, I divert myself to the steaks instead. Much better way to satisfy a beef craving.

And berries, a bowl of hand-picked then fresh-frozen blueberries with cream is going to cause a downward spiral for sure.