Young Keto Eater Needing Advice!

(ketoathlete) #1

Hi, all! I’m a 19 year old girl giving keto a shot! In 3 weeks i’ve lost a little over 10lbs, but I don’t have a ton to lose so I’m not too concerned. I eat high fat, moderate protein, low carb (under 20g) every day and have lost weight, but I can’t notice any physical changes. I also work out every day doing cardio, core, and some type of strength training. Is 10 lbs just not enough to be noticeable, or am I possible slipping up somewhere?
Also, I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to stick to keto in college. Once I leave my apartment for class I don’t usually come back until dinner, so lunch and snacks are typically whatever is available around campus. Does anyone have any easy ideas that I can pack up and take with me? Any advice helps. Thanks guys!

(LUCAS KRAUSE) #2

you might look into a couple options.

1. Consider fasting when you can’t easily pack food or have good options. So work on stretching your fasting muscles.

2. Pack keto Snacks, Bacon, nuts, Jerky, bulletproof coffee, fat bombs, a cooler with stuff in it if it is hours and perishable goods.

3. Fat load before you leave for the day. (Pizza, steak?)

(Bob) #3

Have u tested for ketosis? It is possible for you to think you are in ketosis but really are not. The key to a keto diet is for your body to become “fat adapted”. This is when your body switches from glucose to ketones for fuel. Before this occurs you will go thru a short keto flu. This is your body feeling crappy because its going thru glucose withdrawal. After the keto flu you need to test your glucose and ketone levels and then adjust your diet macros accordingly to maintain ketosis. If you are not fat adapted and in ketosis then you are eating an LCHF (low carb high fat) diet which will help you lose weight and stay healthy also. If you don’t have any health problems or a lot of weight to lose then LCHF may be right for you. Bottom line, test yourself for ketones to see if you are in ketosis. Good luck and stay calm and keto on.

(ketoathlete) #4

Great! Thanks!

(ketoathlete) #5

I have the ketone strips that I used and according to those I am in ketosis. I guess I just need more time to see some results. Thanks Bob!

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

This should help you.

I’m guessing from your name that you’re primarily interested in keto for athletic performance rather than weight loss? If so, there is a longer period of adaptation after getting past the first few weeks. You might be interested in browsing through the Exercise forum too.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/exercise