You know you’re keto when

(KAREN GUNN) #1

I live in a really small town (800 people) with the closest city 2.5 hrs away. Needless to say grocery options are limited. While shopping today though I found some cow bones marked as “dog bones” for really cheap. The first thing I thought was bone broth! I did come home and give my dog one already but look how beautiful they are! Should be lots of collagen and marrow, then he can have then when I’m done. Lol

i would love to find them packaged like that! I get mine from the butcher and he sells me the entire dinosaur looking bone which is around $10, luckily he chops it up in pieces for me like yours.

I save all my chicken bones after we eat for broth.

(KAREN GUNN) #3

I usually keep a bag it the freezer for bones and then use them to make my broth. I’m planning on fasting (with broth if needed) next week and was out of bones. So I was really excited to find these. Although I’m feeling a bit guilty about leaching the nutrients out before I give them to our “other” family member.

I don’t think the other family member will complain! lol

(Candy Lind) #5

We have a raw dog food vendor at our Farmers Market & you can buy a 10-lb bag of bones from him for $20, way cheaper than bones at the store (too many health-conscious foodies here! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). He sells a lot for broth.

OT: but dogs should never be given cooked bones. Raw are fine but once cooked they can splinter and puncture an organ.

(Sophie) #7

Hate to tell you but any bones can splinter and puncture, raw or otherwise! Just don’t do it if you really care about your fur baby.

(Richard Hanson) #8

$0.89 lb … that is a good price.

Dogs have been eating raw bones … well for as long as there have been dogs. Imagine trying to keep any Canidae from chewing on bones. What a miserable life it must be to eat nothing but kibble for your entire life, that is a life not worth living.

Keto for Life!
Richard

(KAREN GUNN) #9

We give our boy cooked and raw bones. We cut the ribs out of all of our wild game (Elk,deer,antelope,etc) dry them and store them just for him. They still have some “jerky” on them and it’s his favorite treat! He is spoiled rotten and that’s why I feel bad that I’m probably going to boil his bones for broth this go around.

(KAREN GUNN) #10

I just listened to a pod cast about how kibble is full of carbs and dogs, like humans, are much healthier on a keto diet. That’s why so many dogs are over weight.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Cooking chicken bones causes them to splinter dangerously when a dog crunches them the way dogs do. Other cooked bones are safe, and so are all raw bones, including chicken bones. Uncooked chicken bones don’t splinter, the way they do after cooking.

Think about it: if raw chicken bones were dangerous, raiding the henhouse would kill the fox. And it doesn’t.

(Mike W.) #12

Most of my chicken bones dissolve right into the broth. Not much left to remove.

(KAREN GUNN) #13

This will be my first time using beef bones. Im really excited. Going to get it started this afternoon so it’s ready for my fast on Tuesday.

Our vet recommended raw feeding including bones when we brought or rescue dog home. Healthiest cocker spaniel I’ve ever owned. He said they have the stomach acid to dissolve raw bones but to avoid giving cooked bones. Think wolf…coyote… any other carnivore