Yolky Chicken Breasts

chicken

So, I found a new food trick that I really liked. It may be old news to some of you, but sharing just in case.

I like to keep a rotisserie chicken or “baked eight” packet in the fridge for those times when I am too busy or tired to cook. But, I hate the dry, boring chicken breasts. So a lot of the time they would end up going to waste.

I have been on a fried egg jones recently, so I thought of this idea… I cubed the (already cooked) chicken breast and sautéed it in a lot of butter with some himalayan salt, to heat it up and add fat. Butter and salt can make almost anything taste good, right?

Then, mixed it up in a big bowl with two sunny side up eggs. I won’t say it was a gourmet meal, but it tasted far better than a plain chicken breast, and I’m sure was much more satiating with the added fat.

It could have used a little more yolk, so I think next time I’ll try it with three soft boiled eggs.

I certainly would not go out and buy chicken breasts to make this meal, but it beats throwing them in the trash, which is where they end up too often!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

What a great idea! Cubing a few hard-boiled eggs into the chicken is something I wouldn’t have thought of.

I usually scramble my eggs, but I recently tried making some hard-boiled ones and they tasted good. I guess I undercooked them, because the yolks were still slightly juicy, the way I like them.

(Geoffrey) #3

I’m right there with you on the rotisserie chicken. I used to always eat the breast because my wife doesn’t like them. I don’t like them either but I don’t want them going to the dogs. Like you, I now cube them up and sauté them in a pan with lots of butter or I’ll just microwave them with a bunch of butter. Makes them palatable. But one thing I can’t do is mix it with eggs. I don’t know why but mixing chicken with eggs is very unappealing to me. I lose my appetite just thinking about it. I know, I know, I’m weird. :woozy_face:

No, weird people are who put pineapple on pizza or glaze ham!
Meat and eggs are good together but I don’t think I ever ate eggs with chicken either. I could but it’s unnecessary to me.

Both my SO and I got shocked people throw out anything even chicken breast (I don’t even throw out hard pork skin. it’s work to make it enjoyable but it’s quite tasty in the end). It’s a semi-luxury item for us, definitely a waste on me as I really dislike the texture.
But why to make it dry? There are zillion ways to make chicken breast moist, even boiled it is borderline edible to me but in some tasty sauce it gets pretty okay. Still not as good as fatty pork but virtually nothing is as good as fatty pork if you ask me (I have a few other fav items but if it’s a really precious, well cooked farm or home raised wonderful pork, nothing can beat it in my eyes).
I watched a video about frying chicken breast and I will try it next time :smiley: But it still wouldn’t be my thing I am sure. But I would eat it. It would be so very useful for fat-loss, I tend to eat too much fat just to reach my minimum protein (I tend to overeat protein so I focus on keeping it as low as possible, that’s still high)… Oh well, leanish pork is lovely, I can work with that.

Sounds like a chicken and egg thing. :grinning:

(Geoffrey) #6

You got that right!

I was thinking soft-boiled so the runny yolks could counteract the dryness, but hard-boiled would work too.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

I wanted soft-boiled, but I am just inept. I ended up with eggs that were between soft and hard, and was just as happy that I did, to my surprise! :egg::egg:

Sounds good to me. As long as it’s not very hard with dry yolks, I am fine with my boiled eggs. Mine ended up being in-between too today. They were lovely (without any chicken).

(KM) #10

I remember being served soft boiled eggs at a relative’s where I was under strict orders to eat whatever was put before me. They were so undercooked that the whites were about 50% “snot”. Overcooked, for the win !!!

Ouch. Rude. I would never give such a thing to anyone, I would think many people are like SO who wouldn’t eat it.
I would but I am a savage egg maniac. And even I prefer white whites. I just eat my eggs even if they are super soft if that happened. I used to eat 0 minute eggs ages ago, I mean, I got out the eggs when the water boiled :stuck_out_tongue: Those were pretty soft.
I don’t really call a boiled egg under- or overdone, I can eat it from raw to green. Maybe not really raw, I do love raw eggs but only whipped…

There is no such thing as overcooked boiled egg to me (well until the white is white and isn’t brown or black… :D) even though I prefer them soft. Our over the open fire eggs are always green and it’s perfect hard-boiled egg too in our household. Boiling eggs over open fire always produces that kind for us I think… I don’t really focus on the color, I don’t remember. My own boiled eggs are never green as I don’t waste electricity.

I have a boiled egg phase now, by the way. I ate a warm soft one today (6 minutes egg this time. I left the rest in the water so they got way harder, it will be a surprise tomorrow how hard :wink: I will be fine with anything).

(Doug) #12

Good grief - the whites have to be cooked. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The yolk - I think it definitely tastes better not hard, so ‘gooey’ and not all the way set up. But also not totally runny.

82axzd

Nothing better than being bored… on the clock!

More yolk is the answer to most things.
Too bad they are too salty so I can’t use them in desserts easily anymore (it was fine on keto but carnivore made me more sensitive to sodium. I still eat a similar amount but my eggy desserts got problems. as I didn’t use a pinch of salt in desserts even on high-carb - it made them too salty for me -, I can’t do anything but using less yolks but that isn’t good for most or overpower the salt with some strong flavor somehow)… Unless I use the salty caramel route :wink:

I think I consider hard and runny yolks similarly tasty, I am just very very sensitive to textures and it lowers the niceness of the dry yolks quite drastically for me. Unless I add raw yolk, I did that in deviled eggs before but I usually just use sour cream. It’s still noticeable that there are lots of hard dry yolks inside but it’s good enough. But runny yolks are more amazing. I often use raw yolks in sauces.