Yogurt

It equates to 1.6% of the portion. Negligible.

Remember, it’s produced from dairy milk which has carbs…some of which may be fibre/soluble fibre.

I don’t know exactly how fibre is produced or monitored through what is essentially, processed food.

(KM) #22

Yes and no. As stated, almost half the carb content is fybear, and there is zero fiber in cow juice unless you get straw in the bucket.

It’s all semantics. I’m just having a day where I feel like I’m living in the movie Idiocracy, this really is angels dancing on the head of a pin. Sorry.

Maybe some straw fell into the milking bucket :man_shrugging:

Or maybe they added it to appear more healthy? :thinking:

I’ve no idea either friend.

Yep, it should have zero fiber. 0.5g should be wrong. It’s tiny but if it’s wrong, it easily bothers some of us…

The Brown Cow product sounds nice, extra creaminess is something I can appreciate very much… I never saw such a product. Yogurt with creamy top, wow.

I still have no idea about the macros… Cups say nothing to me. Well I can imagine but HOW MANY GRAMS? It’s annoying in recipes. I won’t dirty a cup just to figure it out… I just ignore such recipes but I am good at making my own ones… :wink: But I see it’s some nice fattier kind (as yogurt should be if you ask me - though I bought some light yogurt, well normal I suppose, 3% fat and it was very enjoyable, cool and creamy on these super hot days. but I eat it in big amounts due to the wateriness, it’s good I don’t care about animal carbs).

(KM) #25

The fiber only bothers me because l count total carbs, and I could see myself eating a cup of clotted cream, :yum:. Fiber or no fiber at a 20g limit is a pretty big carb difference, - 8 grams I have to count… or not.

I find it really interesting, the perspective of weighing everything vs. using volume measures. I know weighing is more accurate, but as an American, volumetric measuring seems straightforward and easier. (You say you don’t want a dirty a cup, but you can’t just pour oil on a scale. If you have to put it in some kind of a container anyway, why not use a graduated measuring container, and skip the scale altogether?) I’d love it if Paul weighed in here, pun intended, as, if I understand it correctly, he is English but living in America?

That’s a red flag to a bull…:open_mouth:

(Bob M) #27

I’m still not sure why they add pectin.

I think it makes it more solid. Just guessing.

So does fibre lol :wink:

Stools

I grew up in Europe and mom weighed everything, she had a kitchen scale. I think a measuring cup is a lot easier, easier to store and use.

I normally do creme fraiche or soured cream anyway.
They both cost the same and are similar in almost every way:

I just checked, I only have creme fraiche in fridge, and some mascarpone tubs in the freezer which I’m not digging out.

But here’s the nutrition label for comparisson:

It says 2 tbsps are 30 grams lol…so you we were both right!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #33

Some comments:

• Be careful when comparing U.S. and British (Imperial) fluid measures; the units of the same name are not the same amounts.

• U.S. and Imperial fluid ounces are close in size, but a U.S. cup is 8 U.S. fl. oz., whereas an Imperial cup is 10 Imp. fl. oz. The sizes of the pint, quart, and gallon are correspondingly different. In both systems, 2 c. = 1 pint; 2 pt. = one quart; and 4 qts. = 1 gallon.

Comparison of Imperial and U.S. liquid measures

The metric values may not be precisely accurate; use with caution. One fluid ounce of water weighs very close to 1 ounce weight ( = 1/16 pound). Hence the old saying, “a pint’s a pound the world around.”

Unit Imperial System U.S. System
1 teaspoon 4.74 mL 4.93 mL
1 tablespoon 3 tsp./14.2 mL 3 tsp./14.79 mL
1 fluid ounce 2 tbsp./28.41 mL 2 tbsp./29.57 mL
1 cup 10 fl. oz./284.1 mL 8 fl. oz./236.59 mL
1 pint 20 fl. oz./568.26 mL 16 fl. oz./473.18 mL
1 quart 40 fl. oz./1.137 L 32 fl. oz./946.36 mL
1 gallon 160 fl. oz./4.546 L 128 fl. oz./3.785 L

All said and done, I’m pretty confident the correct spelling is yoghurt.

Just saying…
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I thought you’d respond to that with jest in the habit that you have sir!

Not in the States. I used yoghurt and my spelling program won’t have it.

Lol, Velvet!

I know, just making fun of the differences in the English language is all.
:+1:

" Is it yogurt or yoghurt in the UK?

Yogurt - Wikipedia

yoghurt

In the United Kingdom, the word is usually spelled yoghurt while in the United States the spelling is yogurt. In Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, the British spelling is dominant. Canada has its own spelling, yogourt, a minority variant of the French yaourt, although yogurt and yoghurt are also used."

(Brian) #39

I make my own yogurt out of whole milk. I use something like Fage as a starter (like 3 or 4 Tbsp per gallon of milk). I let the whey drain off (making Greek yogurt). The whey contains the majority of the carbs.

The instant pot knockoff that I have makes it very easy.

I save 3 or 4 Tbsp of my own yogurt to use in the next batch that I make. I can do that several times before I need to start fresh with some new starter. (It starts to take on odd tastes at some point.) There are starter cultures available and also ways to make a single batch and divide that up into starters that can be frozen. I’ve not done that but most of the time, I can find a small container of Fage in the store when I need it, usually for about $1.

My blueberry bushes love the whey.

Yoghurt.