YEAST! Game Changer

conversationstarters
keto
science
fasting
food

(Mg ) #1

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #2

Any context about how it changes the game?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

A pictureā€™s worth a thousand words, but which thousand?

(Mg ) #4

Yep I have baked with it, and without it

(Mg ) #5

Depends weā€™re all individuals. Not everything is for everyone. I love baking with it, it comes out tasting as close to the bakery and one can get. Itā€™s worth 2000 words for me :grin:

(Mg ) #6

to bait

to lure 

verb
:rofl:

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #7

Iā€™m not suggesting yeast is a problemā€¦

Do you eat a lot of baked goods?

Iā€™m fortunate that I never really cared for bread, cookies and cakes even before I went low carb, but I realize a lot of people have trouble giving up the things that lead to a lot of health issues, and brought them to the point where they think going " keto " would be a good thing.

Sugar is addictive, and the addiction is driven by the sweetness.
Who eats bread that isnā€™t ā€˜sweetā€™ tasting?
Sometimes (often ) trying to hold onto the behavior that leads to our demise can really get in the way of success with healing.

There are a lot of " Keto " sites out there that make a big deal out of their Keto friendly desserts and treats. They are definitely trying to lure people to their site where they are trying to sell information.
Forgive the clichĆ©, but it would seem they want us to have our cake and eat it tooā€¦
I notice they usually bury the nutrition information and serving size in a ton of other information and click-adds.

According to the pretzel recipe 1 serving is one pretzel, without giving a particular weightā€¦

It is 320 calories with 6 net carbsā€¦ That is a substantial carb load if one is trying to limit carbs to 20 a day. For me, it would almost serve as a meal, and leave me hungry.

At a site like the Diet Dr. They tell you right at the top what the nutrition information isā€¦

Diet Dr. Bagels

(Mg ) #8

I eat one meal a day, and around 7pm I absolutely have something sweet. Like a 3 carb delicious cinnamon roll with orange glaze. Like my picture.
Sometimes I donā€™t want to finish the entire thing, but yes thatā€™s what I do at least five days a week.
I have seven meals in one week and probably around 5-3 carbs snacks or less, a week.
Iā€™ve done it since I started four years ago with my extreme weight loss.
I only eat once a day around 24-30 carbs a day with a 3 carb snack.

I just dropped back down that low a little over a month ago, however Iā€™ve always only ate one meal and one snack a day.
There are days I donā€™t even want it, there are days I do. As long as itā€™s very low carb I never deny myself it.

Itā€™s why I always have something good baked. I never ever buy anything low carb in the store except a pint of low carb icecream once I a while.
Everything I eat is made by me and not processed.
I very rarely if ever crave outside that time period after I feed.
So itā€™s not an addiction just something I enjoy.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #9

Sounds like me and beerā€¦ ( IPA )

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Interesting to see yeast being touted as keto-friendly. When I joined the forums in 2017, there were a lot of people trying to get yeast-free to fight candidiasis. Apparently the yeast die-off was a fairly gruesome experience.

If someone is healthy and just want low-carb, yeast is fine.
Gluten is similar: many people avoid it but many keto breads have it.
For a IIFYM ketoer everything is okay on keto I guess (except the carby items they canā€™t eat in moderation. and they may have a personal blacklist for reasons but the reason isnā€™t that itā€™s ā€œnot ketoā€).

I only used yeast for my breads. Only the wheat ones were like bread. The keto one with gluten had a nice texture and not good taste (though it can be improved with lots of spice. I personally dislike the flavor of gluten).
Itā€™s easier and better to eat eggs instead of bread :smiley: It never disappoints :smiley: But we are different so we need different things for the same role. And some roles are simply missing.
ā€œSweet baked goodsā€ is non-existent in my keto for various reasons.

Even so, those pretzel are very good-looking in the picture :smiley:

Give me a couple weeks with those and Iā€™d be about 30lbs heavier againā€¦ but they look fā€™ing amazing!

Makes them rise

(Mg ) #14

One net carb per packet. Itā€™s amazing. Iā€™ve been using it for a long time. Just didnā€™t know how. Itā€™s a learning process.
I donā€™t even know what that isā€¦ Canditis? (wrong spelling :rofl:) if anyone has a zero tolerance for yeastā€¦ They shouldnā€™t go near it on keto or not.
I never have, and everyone I feed knows what is used in my ingredients. Itā€™s totally organic. They line up. Itā€™s wonderful

(Mg ) #15

One net carb. If you eat anything you buy like keto bread etc youā€™re eating yeast. I love baked low carb sweets in moderation. Itā€™s one of the biggest reasons I love keto.
Lots of people I know just nixed sweets because they admit they do not know how to work with xantham gum, almond flour, coconut flour etcā€¦ Itā€™s a lot of work to learn, and itā€™s very expensive.
However I very much enjoy learning, and experimenting.
Iā€™ve become good enough to sell my products.
People wanna purchase my items.
I love it. I made an orange cake the other day with orange icing and orange zest. Canā€™t use the orange itself for obvious reasons.
The orange color turned out beautiful.
A woman at work said Iā€™d buy this cake for 30 dollars for my friends and family who do low carbs.

I simply love cooking and baking keto.
You have too.
The processed crap is RIDICULOUS to buy. One dozen cookies are 12-15 dollars.
Most donā€™t come close to mine anyway.

Dream of staring a processed free keto baked goods food truck

(Mg ) #16

Thank youā€¦
There are no words. It really is an incredible thing. You just have to know how to do it and use it. Took me about a solid year of learning and failing. I have to tweak some of the recipes that get 2 million hits because I know from experience their way wonā€™t work. Because Iā€™ve done it myself.
Not big things littleā€¦ Like sifting dry ingredients. Never in the recipeā€¦ However to sift or not to sift is what creates that fluffy bread taste and feel.

It is absolutely amazing, but gotta be prepared to fail. A lot.

(Mg ) #17

I have made the pretzel bread (roll them thicker )adding basil, oregano, and cracked pepperā€¦ After I form them and let them double rise, I put fresh Parmesan cheese on top and bakeā€¦ and cut it in half for turkey bacon swiss, ham cheese avocado sandwiches. Chicken salad etcā€¦ With arugula they are really amazing.
People donā€™t even know.
I believe the carb count for each one was around 7 Max. I make a Dijon mustard dressing. Heaven

I donā€™t buy anything with yeast, only yeast itself but I only bake wheat bread with it.
I buy simple ingredients since a decade and I prefer homemade baked goods anyway, Iā€™ve been baking our bread since 20 years (I didnā€™t like the store-bought options back then. now itā€™s even way easier and quicker to bake a bread than buying some). I didnā€™t bake on high-carb except gingerbread, I learned it on low-carb.

I used to eat a lot of cake on keto but those were normal cakes, not bread type things with yeast. It can do without expensive stuff and the result is tasty but it took a lot of time indeed. I miss baking if I donā€™t do it for weeks so I keep baking but those are usually simple things. I prefer simplicity now.
Baking is complicated already even if I just mix a few things and bake it, I need to figure out recipes too, my kind of simple is boiling eggs and roasting pork :smiley: So baking is just a little hobby I only do when I desire it :slight_smile:
I canā€™t make very pretty things though. Except with yeast and gluten as it raises and becomes smooth and nice. I love baking bread, itā€™s quite rewarding. I used to make it in interesting shapes too, I should start againā€¦

People like my stuff too but I am not on your level :slight_smile: And I am lazy to put my recipes anywhere too. They are optimized to my familyā€™s taste (and my laziness. understandable laziness as if I see something must to be done for a good result, I do it. if I am not in the mood for baking, I rarely bake) and even if I donā€™t eat them, the other family members will, itā€™s enough.