“Yeah...I’m losing muscle doing Keto and fasting” 😊

(Kimberly) #41

They’re probably doing keto…

(Jane) #42

Everyone is different. My husband can eat waaaay more carbs than me and maintain his weight and isn’t anymore active than me. He eats mostly keto but just has a higher upper limit on carbs but nowhere near SAD levels.

I would think the only way to find out your carb limit is to invest in a ketone blood monitor and do some experiments on yourself. Unfortunately you can’t get insulin numbers but between ketones and glucose spikes (how big the spike and how long to level out) it might give you enough data to come up with YOUR upper limit.

(Justin Jordan) #43

That’s not an absolute number, for one thing. 20 is a floor where almost every one will be in ketosis - but that’s not the same as saying everyone needs to go 20 grams to get in ketosis. Indeed, massively active athletes can go MUCH, MUCH higher.

(Bob M) #44

I forgot to chug a tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar before partaking. That can help lower the peak blood sugar rise. The better idea is not to have any ice cream…but that can be difficult to do sometimes. For the upcoming holidays, I’ll give it a better shot, maybe make a keto dessert I can have.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Your carb limit depends on your degree of insulin resistance. My understanding is that Richard and Carl chose 20 g/day because it’s a level at which everyone but the most metabolically deranged can get into ketosis—and won’t scare people off, the way 0 g would, lol!

The production of ketones is related to insulin level, since high insulin inhibits ketogenesis. Another factor is the insulin/glucagon ratio, which works differently in a high-carb environment from how it works in a low-carb one.

My understanding is that exercise can improve insulin resistance, but not your carb threshold directly. Insulin resistance in the liver has generally to do with how much fat is already clogging it. Insulin resistance in the adipose tissue has to do with how full the cells are, and what your capacity is for growing new fat cells (apparently that is a genetic issue). Insulin resistance in the muscle has to with how much glycogen is already stored there (once it’s in the muscle it can’t leave; it can only be metabolized), but I believe there are other factors involved, as well, particularly having to do with the health of the muscle mitochondria. I know that exercise promotes mitochondrial healing, as well as the growth of new mitochondria.

There is a genetic factor involved in carb tolerance, as well; Dr. Phinney estimates that perhaps as many as 20% of the population can eat carbohydrate with impunity. The rest of us, of course, all have different degrees of tolerance, and diet can worsen or improve it.

(Bob M) #46

And those are the people that likely make our guidelines: “If I can eat carbs and low fat, so can everyone else!”. :wink:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #47

… by now its 16 Pounds of muscle gain :muscle: :muscle:
:metal: