Wtf?!?!

(Jason Christianson) #1

I hope that this is the right category.

Quick background… Fasting regularly since end of Jan. Started off fasting 4-5 days during week and eating only on weekends. Lately haven’t been doing as much fasting but with exception of a couple of slips have been eating strictly keto. Lost 54 lbs from 344 to 290 but I’ve been stuck here for a month. I’m type II but have been off all my meds since april-ish and normally my BG the last couple of months have run in the normal range.

Alright, yesterday I ate for lunch:
T-bone steak, too much protein, ~80g
1/2 to 2/3 c loaded mashed cauliflower, ~ 5g carbs (cauliflower, cheese, sour cream, butter, bacon)

Dinner:
chicken skin nachos (chicken skins, cheddar cheese, carnitas, sour cream, bacon), trace carbs
4 bites of choc mousse (heavy cream, cocoa power, little bit of xylitol), trace carbs

I realize that having too much protein in one meal isn’t good and it didn’t occur to me till after the steak was gone that I was going overboard. I was a hungry! Doh! So morning BG was under 100mg/dL, blood ketones 2.9mmol/L. After lunch, BG up to 155mg/dL. Yep too much protein. This morning however, BG still up at 154mg/dL and blood ketones crashed from 2.9 yesterday to 0.9 mmol/L!!! GRRRRRR!!!

THis is all coming off a fast from thursday through Monday where I didn’t lose a freakin’ pound.

First of all, I’m really stuck and confused and frankly, becoming discouraged. Second, I can’t make sense of what happened with yesterday’s meals and what’s going on this morning at all. Even with dawn phenomenon, I rarely see BG numbers much above 100 these days.

Do you track your measurements?

Waist, chest, neck, arms and legs?

(Jason Christianson) #3

Not currently, but things are fitting noticeably tighter this week.

Interesting…

There was an episode where Megan Ramos was talking about fasting and non fasting days, on your non fasting days to eat a lot of kcal instead on consistently being at a kcal deficit.

I’m unsure if you are running a deficit however it could be something to investigate? I assume you’re drinking plenty and keeping on top of your electrolytes?

(Jason Christianson) #5

Yep, I drink quite a bit - 3-4 big cups (24 to 32 oz) and keep up on the salt.

It is interesting that after a 3 day fast you didn’t loose any weight.

(Doug) #7

Jason, fairly similar here - Type 2 Diabetic, have gone from 340 to 280 lbs. Weight loss has definitely slowed, and I can’t get away with as much stuff as early on. On the blood sugar - I don’t know. I got sick of testing right away, and my A1C got better fast, so I haven’t tested BG for a long time.

Not sure why your blood sugar would remain high today, but perhaps you’re still insulin resistant and whatever happened yesterday is taking a while to be fully compensated for? Certainly no big emergency - I’d say see what happens in the coming days.

Water retention can easily make more of a difference in weight than what one such fast can achieve, so there too I think the long-term should be focused upon.

(Jason Christianson) #8

Yeah, that’s one of the thinking that’s one of the things that’s got me at my wit’s end. And, it’s was actually 96 hours, 4 days.

(Karen) #9

K

(Jason Christianson) #10

That was a good episode and has me questioning too. Namely my “routine” of fasting during the week and only eating on the weekends might be getting too repetitive. Which is why I ended my fast on Tuesday and have been eating all week.

I think I’m getting enough in me on the feast days, but not sure. I eat when I’m hungry but it doesn’t seem like a lot - I fill up so fast!

(Jason Christianson) #11

So BG today was 112mg/dL upon waking. Going in the right direction anyway! I neglected to take blood ketones because it was a hectic morning but I did pee on a stick and it instantly turned as dark as it can get. Which, is worth exactly a grain of salt, lol…