Would You Buy a $400 Chef's Knife?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

No. No desire for it.

(Laurie) #3

I used to be a cook, and I understand why someone would. But in my current lifestyle, no.

(Bacon by any other name would taste just as great.) #4

If I were a chef, I’d consider it.

(Marianne) #5

I have had an set of inexpensive knives for years. Every day before I use them, I sharpen them. That’s all I need. They work great.

yup I got cheapy ones too and with that sharpener, omg I have to watch I don’t cut off a hand while dealing with my steaks :slight_smile: my knives scare me some days HA

(Bob M) #7

I haven’t bought a $400 knife, but my two most used knives are Japanese steel. I find the cheap knives don’t hold an edge for very long. And a dull knife is a dangerous knife.

(Marianne) #8

I can’t work without a razor sharp knife now. They say a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one, and I believe it. I’d be more afraid of my knife if I were chopping onions and stuff like you see on tv! That’s crazy. Another thing that petrifies me is when people use a mandolin with their bare hands. :pleading_face::grimacing:

(Robin) #9

No, but I would accept one as a gift. Thanks!

(Susan) #10

I would not; that is way above my price range --unless I was a millionaire, then I might not mind (but I have always budgeted like crazy so hard to know!).

(Doug) #11

I think it’s one of those incremental, non-linear things. A $40 knive is not “twice as good” as a $20 one, in general. A $100 knife is likely “somewhat better” than the $40 knife, but around the world would often not be worth it. For $400, or $4000, you’re probably truly getting a “fantastic” knife, but the price is increasing by orders of magnitude, and “giant leaps” while the quality is going up by small increments.

yea, yea, that thing scares me too when I see someone using one and just slicing away with no guard…I hear ya on that LOL

I was cutting a steak a bit and just ‘tapped’ ever so lightly on my knuckle area with my knife and I sliced so deep it was crazy and that thing bled and bled forever. I was surprised with the littlest touch I got nailed so bad with my knife. I watch mine now :slight_smile:

(Marianne) #13

:grimacing::open_mouth::cry:

(Doug) #14

I got one of these a couple years ago. Winco brand. Excellent ‘cheap’ knife for $16 (and I see that one with a 10 inch blade is still only $16.66 on Amazon…). Mine has a 7 inch blade, is really comfortable to use, and the blade is really strong.

Mine had a fearfully sharp factory edge on it, and without even feeling it right away I got the tip of a little finger good with the point… Circulation check… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Marianne) #15

Looks like a nice knife. Will have to look it up - great price.

I bought a small Japanese knife for $140 a couple of years ago. It was sharp, but I’ve had issues with pieces of knife edge chipping off, which is kind of scary considering I might ingest them. My favorite knife is OXO brand and I doubt if it cost much.