Worst evil

You are out to eat limited choices trying to make the best. Do you avoid the pufa’s or the grains?
Seems to me the pufa’s are the worst choice

(Stacy Blanchard) #2

What is a pufa?

Poly unsaturated fatty acid…basically veg oil soy etc

(matt ) #4

Polyunsaturated fat

(Jeanne Wagner) #5

Avoid the PUS <-- I like that better than PUFA! lol Makes it sound nastier for the nasty stuff it is.

Anyway, just can order grains and just not eat them. Or have 1/4 cup of it or less. But the fats are hard to avoid if you order fried stuff.

Best grain option was basically pizza or sandwich or wrap…I know you can scrape of toppings but this place was rather stingy with toppings so you were going to be eating crust

(Stacy Blanchard) #7

Is there an acronyms thread? ha ha

(matt ) #8

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #9

:flushed:. LMAO

(Rosemary Easter) #10

If I had to eat one of them it would be the pufas because I would get a really bad and painful stomach from eating grains.

(Karen) #11

Yes, don’t eat pufas. Meat and green salads are generally available eating out. Don’t eat grains. Some restaurants are harder to find appropriate choices.

K

If your choices are between “rock” and “hard place,” why not just skip that one meal and just have some coffee or tea to be sociable?

(Jeanne Wagner) #13

Last night I participated in a family birthday dinner and the choices were, salad, lasagna, spaghetti, garlic bread. I had 2 small bowls of salad, and lasagna. I pulled it apart, scraped all the good stuff off, and had that pile of deliciousness… but you’d have to be OK with dairy as it has a lot of cheese. There was a minimal amount of red sauce in it, but I could taste the sweetness.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #14

I’m gonna say grains. You can fix 3:6 balance, you can MUFA and Sat up, but you can’t uncarb.

At the basic level, the common thread from Banting to Yudkin to Atkins to Phinney to Fung is the reduction of carbs.

grains are obviously worse. try and stay ketotic with grains. its easy with PUFAS. no one really knows the effects of PUFAS in the absence of carbs.

(Karen) #16

Italian restaurants and family dinners with pasta are tough. Salad is a good choice. Pasta sauce has a ton of sugar for most commercial brands. You can parmesan the heck out of your salad. You did well and no one was offended.

K

(Jeanne Wagner) #17

Thanks! Yeah good choices can be found anywhere. Even if I only chose the salad, I could get some fat & protein later if needed. But yeah, my family is very sensitive to my choices and even felt bad that they didn’t have anything I could eat. I said ‘watch this!’ ha I told them not to worry and don’t go out of their way to make something just for me (but birthday people get their own favorite dinner that’s why it was pasta all the way last night). It was a home cooked meal, better than going out IMO. :wink:

(Stacy Blanchard) #18

That is a lot to remember; I might have to make flash cards.

(Vincent Hall) #19

Depends how often you eat out I’m think.
I’m was out at a family event today, first one since Boxing Day. I had duck breast salad. As it fits my requirements but, Id have taken a fried chicken one as it’s not a weekly occurrence I think.
For sure avoid regular consumption, but once a month or less should not be a big concern?
\v/