Workouts to bracket fasting

(Jason Donohoe) #1

I am just curious what workouts others are doing to kick off a fast as well as what workouts others do during a fast.

I do a 40 hour fast weekly and work out twice during this period. At approximately the 12 hour mark I will either do high intensity intervals on the rower or go for a swim - very different intensities and I decide based on workouts leading up to the fast and how my body feels. I rarely eat before working out in the morning the rest of the time so I am used to exercise at the 12 hour fast mark. At around the 38 hour mark I am doing my second workout.

Is anyone aware of scientific evidence to support doing high intensity work vs heavy, lower intensity work at this point in a fast? I have done both and not really noticed a difference in performance compared to my regular work out days. The other day I did get a little light headed doing a kettle bell swing ladder but I think that was salt intake/hydration related and hasn’t happened since.

Any thoughts, or personal anecdotes, on the subject appreciated.

(Tom Seest) #2

Don’t have the science, but I loved to do long 3 to 5 hour bicycle rides at about the 18 hour mark of the fast. Great sleep afterwards, and the Glucose Ketone Index would just go low so fast.

(Jason Donohoe) #3

Hi Tom

Thanks for your input. The long, slow to moderate cardio fasted does feel really great. I have found that the high intensity, shorter workouts are challenging.

Jason

(Tom Seest) #4

That should get better over time…But, perhaps @brenda can help out. She’s more into the intense stuff than I am…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #5

I do my usual twice a week full lift routine. I don’t have scheduled cardio, but I get that pretty often to riding my motorcycle or the occasional lap swimming. I have absolutely no issues doing these things fasted. Matter fact I always lift at least 12 to 15 hours fasted. Sometimes several days fasted.

(Jason Donohoe) #6

Thanks all for the input. I will emphasize hydration and salt intake and stay on my workout schedule.

Jason