Workouts and keto

(Pri) #1

I need a suggestion about working out while doing keto.
Can anyone suggest what type of workout I should do?
I have not worked out since last 4 years. First 2 and years I was pregnant( don’t laugh I had two kids who are exactly year apart). After that I had no time since I got two babies. But I lost good 75-80 pounds doing keto with no workout. But in last 4-5 months I gained back good 25 pounds and I look much fat at 155 now than I was when I was on the way to loosing weight from 200+. Now I started keto again but I want to workout to feel great and motivated and other benefits from it.
I am doing strength training picking different body parts everyday ending with 30 min walk.
Thanks in advance in expectancy of great advice from the pros✌️

I’m not a pro but I still decided to comment.

It’s individual, maybe start with whatever you feel you like? You know already your diet is important when it’s about fat-loss… But muscles are great and exercise can give you more energy, I feel very down if I don’t even do my little walks…
I find best to do “everything”, training my muscles (I do weightlifting again), walking/hiking/cycling (I love it, nice scenery, fresh air), little cardio as I am not good with much. I do a little cardio while walking (little running now and then but it’s mostly walk), hiking (climb some easy little cliff), cycling (going uphill or just going as fast as I can :D)… Not everyone considers every kind of exercise important for them and some gets way hungrier doing certain exercises.

What you are doing now seems good to me but it’s really up to you. Maybe you will add something else later but it’s a nice start. I always start with walks after an unusual inactive time and add things carefully.

(Pri) #3

Thanks Shinita! The reason I am asking because I heard and read somewhere within this form that you should not work out on keto. You might not loose weight if u do so.

It’s generally not a good idea to embark on a new and intense workout plan when starting a new way of eating. If you’re not used to your hunger signals it can be hard to sort through what’s might be an increase in hunger from a new workout or from the food, for instance, and with Keto in particular you’ll likely have a drop in energy until you’re fully fat adapted and/or have your electrolytes sorted out.

But (good) exercise is awesome! Plenty of folks drop weight on keto without working out, but studies that Phinney and Volek have done definitely show increased fat loss with keto + exercise (and it’s fat loss - not weight loss - that you’re after!).

Resistance work plus walking seems perfect. How are you feeling?

(Pri) #5

I have done only 2-3 workouts. My plans never works since I have 2 little kids. My plan was to workout 5 days a week that 2 I missed already. But I want to have a active lifestyle. You r right about hunger though. I am feeling hungry often.

If you’re feeling hungry and haven’t actually been working out that much, you might want to start another thread to get advice. Once you’re back to running on fat, you shouldn’t be all that hungry. How long have you been back on keto?

Re the workouts: what if you just give yourself a few weeks to settle back into keto and then figure out a simple plan that’s sustainable for you right now?

(Pri) #7

Started this Sunday fully. Workout also started from Monday. I did loose 80 pounds just 5 months back. Since than life is little hard on me. Health food keto was last thing in my mind. This time it seems very hard. Last time weight just melted away( I was breastfeeding too the first keto round) I reached 130 pounds now back to 155. 128 is my goal weight.

Thanks

Good luck to you! I’m sure you’ll figure this out :slight_smile: I just wouldn’t try too much at once (little ones keep you pretty busy so I’m sure you’re not sedentary).
It’s much much easier to start a great exercise program when you’re fat adapted, and also when you’ve fully adjusted (or re-adjusted) to a change in eating.

(Elian) #9

May I suggest Yoga? It’s a great, relaxing workout for when starting keto.

I think it has to do more with not exhausting yourself too much during a time your body is adapting to a new diet, rather than holding on to the weight. I say you give it a try, go slow and see how it goes. :slight_smile:

Good luck and I’m sure you’ll do great!

(Jack Bennett) #10

Changing too many things at once is hard.

Even when you have a well-established workout routine, keto can challenge you through the process of fat adaptation. You’re probably not going to set any PRs while you’re going through the process of fat adaptation.