Wine while fasting

fasting
wine

I know I am risking getting yelled at, but I will ask the question anyway… I love wine, only the dry kind, the dryer the better, both red and white.

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, I am doing a 36 hour fast. Say I eat dinner one night, then the next day no lunch and no dinner, then lunch the following day. And let’s say, for example, I were to have a glass of wine the night I do not have dinner? How long will I stop the fat burning process for?

I am not confirming or denying having done this (:smirk:) but one glass would be the maximum my body would tolerate in a fasted state. The feeling of calm and relaxation is divine and helps you fall asleep nice and easy with no ill effects in the morning.

So… would a glass of wine 24 hrs fasted be a big no-no if the goal is weight loss?

(Ellie Baum) #2

No idea how it will affect weight loss…but I fasted and convinced myself to have a little wine, BAM, I was suddenly starving. I ended that fast real quick

I am wondering if it triggered a high insulin response for you, thus the hunger. The couple of times I tried it, it made me less hungry, just more sleepy. If it was ok to have wine while fasting, it would make it so much more enjoyable for me while watching my kids eat.

This is another case of the only thing that matters is n=1. Testing your BG is an indicator of what insulin is doing. Testing ketones will reveal what’s going on with lipolysis.

(Trish) #5

Everyone is different, I was out of town Friday, so all I had was sausage and egg on a keto 90 second bun, two coffees and a pack of beef jerky, drove four hours , on my feet seven hours working an event. Had two rusty nails at the after party (scotch and drambuie), expected to be sloshed after one sip and got no boozy effect at all…none…nada…zip…zilch. I did, however, gain two pounds, but that could also be simply from messing up the routine, lack of sleep, stress, etc.

(Adam Kirby) #6

Alcohol would almost certainly end the fasted state, so if the goal is fasting probably best to avoid.

Well, the goal is not fasting for the sake of fasting… In this case the goal is weight loss (or at least weight maintenance post feasting). Some people fast for autophagy, but that would likely have to be a longer fast anyway.

(Adam Kirby) #8

A glass of wine shouldn’t affect you too badly. Probably not optimal fat burning situation, but an optimal fat burning lifestyle may not be very fun. :grin:

Hahaha, that settles it! Sipping red wine now and feeling a bit guilty about it. Oh well…

(Dena) #10

Hi Mamash, I did a 3 day fast and had 2 glasses of red wine every night and it didn’t halt the weight loss at all! After the fast the weight loss actually sped up. I suppose it may have been better to skip the wine but I was still happy with the results. So maybe you don’t have to feel guilty! :smile:

(Olivia) #11

Sorry to be a buzz kill but as soon as you consume alcohol your liver will stop burning fat and shift it’s attention to processing the poison aka alcohol. So you are not only slowing fat metabolism (forgot terminus technicus) you are pulling the hand break and bringing your ketone engine to a standstill. Good news: after your body has processed all alcohol, it will return back to ketone production.

(Alyssa Paula) #12

I think you can go with wine while fasting. Read this article https://jamesclear.com/reader-mailbag-intermittent-fasting

My first major diet was basically based on red wine + LOTS of water + intensive hiking + fasting, supplemented every few days with a large steak & chips + pâté + dessert meal (started at 1 meal/4 days ; then 1/3 ; then 1/2 – til I started the very long distance hike and needed to switch to 1MAD)

Red wine is actually packed with many of the right kind of nutrients, so it helps maintain a fast, but it’s not a solid, so doesn’t really prevent weight loss when associated with fasting.

I’ve found that cheap red wines that are simultaneously dry and fruity help most with a fast.

When I was doing it, I found that associating the wine with large quantities of water prevented that.