Will Veggies Add Carbs To My Broth?

(Jay Patten) #1

I love to make broth/ bone broth. Usually I just add bone-in chicken, butter, salt and some dried herbs. My wife has the flu, so today I’m making broth with bone-in chicken, a whole onion, a whole head of garlic, several stalks of celery and several carrots. These will all be removed later via a strainer and cheese cloth, but will they still add carbs to the broth itself?

(Sarah ) #2

This doesn’t give a recipe or list of ingredients, but it definitely implies that your standard recipe will add carbs to your broth

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/chicken-stock-(home-prepared)

(Stan Brooks) #3

I don’t know yes or not but I think your question is a little off.

The more important question would be “Will adding veggies add a significant amount of carbs?”.

No. I don’t think so.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

In Fung’s Complete Guide to Fasting bone broth is listed as non caloric. If there were carbs, there would be some calories. If one ate the cooked veggies, there would be some carbs added, but you are supposed to strain the broth leaving the veggies behind. The book doesn’t list nutritional info.
If you have the kindle addition the recipe they use is on page 267 of 300.

(TJ Borden) #5

I ageee with @comhcinc and @collaroygal. Dr Fung talks about using just about any veggies and herbs you want for flavor, and as long as you strain them out, you’re not getting the carbs from them. Sounds like a great way to get the onion flavor without the sugar.

(Andrew) #6

My BG goes damn high with veggies in my bone broth. Prolly depends how IR you are. For fasting I would definitely go without.

(Jay Patten) #7

Thanks for all your help. I decided not to eat the broth myself… I didn’t want to risk it!