Wildcrafting In My Backyard - For Real Keto In The Wild!

(Sophie) #1

Wildcrafting has been a subject that has always interested me, and being in Tenn. it seems like the perfect place to get into it. It’s just a matter of research…So, lemme tell ya how I came to wildcrafting in my own backyard…

A few weeks ago my sweet cousin came for a visit… we took a walk through my neighborhood and soaked up the sunshine and the crisp air and admired the 3-4 daffodils that where popping up in the neighbors yards…she mentioned something about the wild scallions also making an appearance. Then about a week or so later I saw a post by my friend @Bellyman where he mentioned working for a large dairy and the cows eating the wild onions and fouling the milk production. So that got my twisted brain thinking.

I did a little research and found that those wild onions popping up in my backyard are actually edible! Oh Joy!!! So, yesterday hubba-hubba was going to cut the grass and I decided to take my hand trowel and dig up a clump to use in my ranch dressing! Be advised that there are 2 types of these wild onions…those that smell oniony/garlicky and those that Don’t. If there is NO SMELL to them they are poisonous!!! Don’t eat them! You want the ones that smell like they are supposed to! I’ll make my ranch dressing tomorrow and see how it goes. I can tell you that I’ve tasted them and it’s really a nice flavor!

I love this! Go Sophie in Tennessee!!!

Gathering the wild grown herbs and foods is so wonderful - when you have enough relationship with them and local knowledge to know “who” you’re dealing with. Where I live at the moment in the southwest, lovely wild Mustard and Amaranth greens come up in different degrees related to timing of rainstorms in the Spring.

Just a few tablespoons of either chopped into a salad brings such Viriditas (greening power, a Latin word coined by spiritual philosopher and herbalist Hildegard von Bingen) and minerals!!! Plus, the bees love the Mustard flowers and the birds love the Amaranth seeds. No mower on the property… no lawns here in most desert yards… and once late summer comes, it’s just a clean up project for adding the dried stalks to the compost pile.

(Sophie) #3

Thanks SBM. And don’t doubt for a minute that I’m not eyeing those dandelion greens & lambs quarters spouting up out there either! Makes me so glad that we are too damn cheap to spend money on fertilizer or weed killer for that matter! :smile:

(Darlene Horsley) #4

That is so awesome Sophie!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #5

Amaranth is so delicious. And lambsquarters. Also dandelions. I can make a whole salad out of my backyard!