Why trim the fat from meat that will be smoked?

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #1

Looking for the experienced smokers input, help! Why is fat cut off of meat before it’s smoked?! I weep inside when I see this. We’re starting adventures in smoking this summer and I’m inclined to leave the lucious fat on, but will that create issues with the smoking process?

I plan to try this brisket recipe, but they cut off fat :tired_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::astonished:

(Mike W.) #2

I leave the fat cap intact and actually look for the fattiest butts! You can pull off the bark (fat), cut it up and mix it in…or just pull off pieces of deliciousness and eat it while still warm :drooling_face: I also end up rendering about a mason jar worth of smoked fat too!

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #3

Excellent! I requested the butcher do minimal trimming and leave maximum fat when we split a cow and pig, we’ll have large fat caps​:grinning::smiley:

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #4

These look amazing @MiKetoAF :green_heart::blue_heart::hugs::smiley:
I hope to create beauties like this. Luv the idea of smoked fat. Thank you!

(Jennifer) #5

I can’t like this post enough - those look beautiful.

(Mike W.) #6

Thanks, y’all. I love my smoker. Found it on the side of the road about 15 years ago :wink:

(Arlene) #7

I always leave the fat on any meat, and certainly my bacon is practically ALL fat and it does just fine. Good luck with the smoking project.

(Seth Overdeer) #8

The best part of that video is the comments section.