Why this usually happens?

(Nicolas) #1

So… Instead of creating a “OMG Im not losing weight!, what’s going on?” (Which is not bad, but I dont panic when weight is not moving), I want to know why body weight fluctuates.

I usually measure every week, Measurement tape and scale, but then I measure every so often, I see the body usually goes up, then down, up, then down.

I jog all days, so my legs are growing, I know is not fat, but why body weight fluctuates? Even if in some particular days maybe you eat more or retain more liquid, usually the difference could be like, 1 kg of difference in one day or two, and I measure always in the morning after going to the bathroom.

So, what’s going on with the body exactly? Once you lose your Glycogen stores and water, why the weight and measurement stall for some week/s and then you see a super drop down in weight or the other way around too?.

(Bob M) #2

Your question illustrates why I stopped using the scale. :wink:

When I fasted 36+ hours, I generally lost 5+ pounds (2.5 kg, about) in a single day.

Certainly, hydration has something to do with this, as when I fast, I drink less, and when I eat again, I tend to drink a ton more water.

But day to day variations, if you’re doing the same thing, are tough to decipher.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

At work until later afternoon so will wait until then. Posted link to article in another topic that might help answer your question and will put the link here as well.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

This is a very interesting paper. I hope it helps.

Weight loss due to increased metabolic inefficiency

The implication of the first and second laws of thermodynamics is that reduced efficiency has precisely the same result as reduced caloric intake. One conceptually simple means of reducing efficiency involves the process of uncoupling in mitochondria. ATP is produced in a variety of cellular locations…

Substrate cycling and protein turnover

Substrate or “futile” cycles refer to the dynamic process that must accompany the thermodynamic steady state [13]. In particular, increased cycling of metabolic intermediates utilizes ATP and generates heat. The simplest examples are the numerous kinase-phosphatase pairs that regulate metabolism…

Thyrotoxicosis

Thyroid hormone decreases efficiency possibly by mechanisms involving both uncoupling and cycling described above: oxidative uncoupling as well as increased futile cycling of intermediates [15]…

Protein induced protein turnover

There is abundant evidence that dietary protein stimulates protein breakdown and re-synthesis. In particular, branched chain amino acids, and especially leucine, are documented to act as nutritional signals acting via both the insulin and mTOR signaling pathways [1618]. On the macroscopic level, the energetic cost of protein turnover is demonstrable as excess heat generated during a high protein meal…

Gluconeogenesis-stimulated protein turnover in carbohydrate restriction

The following hypothesis is suggested from classic studies of starvation done in chronically fasted obese individuals [27, 28]. The brain’s metabolism requires 100 grams of glucose per day…

… Increased gluconeogenesis has been directly confirmed using tracer studies on day 11 of a very low carbohydrate diet (approx 8 grams/day) [29]. If indeed, 110 grams of endogenous protein is broken down for gluconeogenesis and re-synthesized, the energy cost, at 4–5 kcal/gram could amount to as much as 400–600 kcal/day. This is a sizable metabolic advantage. Of course, the source of protein for gluconeogenesis may be dietary rather than endogenous…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

The question involves the types of food you are eating, the liquids you are drinking, whether your body is gaining or losing lean tissue, whether gaining or losing fat, and whether retaining or excreting water. The question also involves how much—and what—you are excreting in faeces, urine, and breath.

you can’t and won’t ever ‘narrow down that what is going on with my body’ BS for the scale LOL It can’t ever be measured that way.

Your body is healing. Your body is changing. Your body has more activity one day, less the other. Different foods eaten that bloat or not bloat us. Sodium intake from processed foods today? etc. Heat/cold weather, drink more water or less. Great sleep night that heals/repairs the body more or a night of less sleep and the body didn’t get more time on its repair work and processes it needs and the list goes on and on!!!

Nah, don’t even go there in thought. Just know it is ‘overall time’ on plan that gives us everything ya know. Long term results are key…on a daily basis the scale is crap, measurements mean more but in the end…say Sept is starting…take weight/measurements and on the last day of Sept then look again :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #7

Oooo…Dr. Feinman. He’s THE MAN!

Downloaded. I’ll see when I can read it.