Why now?

Seven successful weeks in and NOW the carb craving kicks in. Why now?

I suspect it’s largely due to seasonal habits and cues more than anything.

(Adrienne P.) #2

I’ve been on it since 7/17 and only now am I experiencing so many birthdays and events that are making me crave carbs. I drink red wine when I am out but it’s hard to say no when everyone else is having fried food and beer. Last night I ate some dark chocolate. I think that I am just going to give away all my carbs so I have no temptation.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Todd, don’t worry about it. The subconscious has its reasons, and they don’t always make rational sense. I just try to relax and postpone yielding to the cravings. There’s a reason Twelve-Step programs talk about taking things one day at a time, and that’s because it works. I can always have the carbs—but just not right now, I tell myself. If I feel this way tomorrow, I’ll go buy a dozen doughnuts and eat them, just not right now.

Once in early sobriety I called a guy before work and told him I really needed a drink, and he promised to meet me at ten a.m. when the bars opened, so we could get drunk together. Sure enough, by the time ten o’clock rolled around, I was over the snit and no longer felt I needed a drink. Of course, sometimes things get really bad, and that’s when you postpone for only five minutes, or whatever it takes. If I thought I could never eat a carbohydrate again in my life, I’d go out and gain 300 pounds. Yet somehow, knowing I’m always free to eat carbs tomorrow (if I want) keeps me safe.

That’s a great response. Thank you.

And, after my weekly weigh in, I’m down 26.2lbs and glad I haven’t given in.

(Tim W) #6

Great advice from PaulL.

I’ll just add:

• How is your sleep? Not sleeping well raises stress/cortisol which can raise cravings.

• Watch the fake sugars. Some things can spike insulin but you won’t see a glucose rise with them (that’s the theory anyway) so be careful with ACE-K type fake sugars. Check your diet sodas, coffee creamers, anything with flavorings/additives etc. Even the “skinny” options at starbucks have sugar in them, it takes vigilance.

• Eating too much might cause an insulin response from stomach extension (another theory), causing the cravings.

If your craving “cycles” are lasting 48-72 hours and then subsiding, it’s probably something in the diet. If they come and are gone a few hours later, maybe more mental etc.

I know this past weekend was tough for us, opening football weekend and we are not drinking beer or eating pizza (not eating much at all) and we spent the little time we sat down to watch games bouncing between channels to avoid the constant food and truck advertisements.

Best of luck to you in reaching your goals.

I know this past weekend was tough for us, opening football weekend and we are not drinking beer or eating pizza (not eating much at all) and we spent the little time we sat down to watch games bouncing between channels to avoid the constant food and truck advertisements.

I suspect this was the case more than anything.