Why not reducing fat to lose weight in a keto diet?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #61

Hey David, just for fun, and out of curiosity, if I gave you those numbers, would you plz do those calculations for me too ?

Male, 55yo, 6ft, 212lbs. I am a type A “5” by nature… But my job forces me to slow WAY down on weekends. Granted, that’s when I do my fasting too. So I dunno’… a 4 ?

BTW, imagine how it might screw with a persons mind, when they are naturally type A, and yet were obese, with debilitating Fibromyalgia ? :frowning: {so that’s my excuse :wink: lol}

(mole person) #62

I switch up one meal a day (all food in a single hour) and two meals eaten in a six hour window. No snacking. The only other calories that I have are heavy cream in two cups of coffee (120 calories total). Mostly I decide whether I’m having one or two meals based on my hunger. This week I’ve only had one a day so far.

(KCKO, KCFO) #63

Your body can pull @31 calories per lb. per day. Richard Morris has a calculator posted but I don’t have the link with me. An example You have 25 lbs extra, so x 31 = 775 calories. That is about the limit you can expect to come from your stores, as the lbs. go down, so do the calories you can provide.

I’d also like to point out keto isn’t all about the weight, your hormones and your general health will make this WOE worth while. And please do learn to cook keto and don’t just depend on preprocessed shakes, bars and meals. To succeed over time, real food is required.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #64

@FishChris Sure Chris, I put you down at activity 4, Very active-Hard exercise/sports 3-5 days per week because of your weekend fatigue and taking it slower on weekends. This figure includes a 20% deficit.

If you want to recalculate as you loose weight or any other changes I use the calculator at ketokarma.com :cowboy_hat_face:

I really wish that all the posts linking to this calculator came with the caveat “Calculations are based on a study of high-carb calorie restricted diet in individuals who were not fat adapted [and may not apply to fat-adapted fasters]”
There’s no question that if you have less in the way of bodyfat you can’t fast as long, but the number of calories any one of us can pull from fat stores isn’t something we can figure out from that formula.

(KCKO, KCFO) #66

Well it is a good place to start for sure. Some of us can tap into those stores more easily than others.
People forget they have stored the fat for a reason, to be used when food is not forthcoming.

This article by Amy Burger really says it all you need to know anyway:

Edit to add: I don’t like the advice to use commercial fat free dressings. I feel the oil you intake is extremely important to your over all health. If I want to cut out fat in dressings, I just use either a high quality vinegar or a citrus juice without the oil. I did this when my focus was on weight loss, now it is eating nutritionally dense foods to stay healthy, so I use the good oils for dressing.

A challenge to figure this out!
(CharleyD) #67

This is kind of scary! Dietary, especially animal, Fat isn’t just a fuel to throw on a metabolic fire. There’s vitamins, nutrients and precursors to necessary hormones that are all contained in there. And it just so happens that it’s yummy and more energy dense than the other macronutrients.

This conclusion comes from a reductionist approach to nutrition that thinks that you can separate all you need down to a few things, the macros, some vitamin and other supplements, and you’re good.

I fall into more of a holistic philosophy and eat mainly whole foods. When I want to lose weight, I’ll make sure to eat fewer times throughout the day or fast, but I mostly eat the same amount of food either way.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #68

Thank you very much David :slight_smile: I like the macro balance there, and I feel like I’m probably hitting pretty close to that.
And to be honest, I probably have been hitting pretty close to this ^ + 20%, so maybe a stall shouldn’t be too surprising.

Anyway, I’m pretty comfortable right now. Certainly not planning on any “major” dietary changes. At this point, I’m really feeling like I will stick to Keto for life.

So in a few weeks or a month, if I’m still not below 210, I might either get stricter on my total calorie intake… Or, start doing the OMAD thing more than just once a week. I’m pretty sure that would do it :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks again.

(bulkbiker) #69

Well unfortunately most of us know exactly how well these meal replacement diets work long term…but hey horses for courses…

(KCKO, KCFO) #70

In case anyone doesn’t know, watch Oprah with her little red wagon. It was hard to find this clip, she may have had youtube remove the original one, IDK?? We all know how that ended for her.