"Why low-carb diets have got it all wrong"

Stumbled across this when looking into another topic: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/low-carb-diets

Referenced works can be found at the bottom. A few problems I see include considering 71-100g carbs to be a low carb diet and some studies only looking at 1 week, etc. But, I can’t say yet that every reference is flawed (some appear to actually look at a ketogenic diet at least). But, there’s certainly a lot of items, both speculative and evidence, that is contradictory to what we see.

That said, their take of “everyone is different, and there can be people at various degrees, even extremes, of different responses to anything” seems fairly reasonable.

Figured I’d submit this for consideration, and see if it can all be dismissed or explained away (or not, maybe we have it all wrong? maybe we’re all in the small percentage of the population group that a ketogenic diet really is perfect for? who knows?)

(Ernest) #2

It is working for me so I didn’t get it all wrong.
To each his/her own.
Precision nutrition never seem to make up their minds and seem to cater to athlete types.

(Ben) #3

Well, he’s a bit dogmatic:

But if you like to exercise regularly and enthusiastically, restricting your carb intake too drastically can lead to:
decreased thyroid output
increased cortisol output
decreased testosterone
impaired mood and cognitive function
muscle catabolism
suppressed immune function.
In other words: Your metabolism might slow, your stress hormones go up and your muscle-building hormones go down.
You feel lousy, spaced-out, sluggish, cranky… and maybe even sick.
Most vexing of all: You probably don’t even lose that much weight in the long term.

This has not been my experience at all.

Sure, but “working for me” and “not my experience” can easily just mean you fall under the group of “few people who do best on a low carb diet” which they describe (and even consider a further difference related to a smaller group of people who may even be elite athletes who do better on a low carb diet).

Their biggest point is that actual carb requirements are largely unique or particular (which is something not usually disagreed with in ketogenic literature, which speaks of varying levels of insulin resistance and tolerance, for instance). Now, the other associated claims about energy and body functions, etc., they seem to make some more general claims on which I wonder how accurate they are even as general claims.

To be fair, I have heard a fair number of people in the ketogenic world, even around here, who at least have thyroid, metabolism, cortisol, etc concerns.

The problem I see with this article is that the author is making ‘textbook’ claims–and few of us are textbooks.

I think the ‘perfect’ diet is one that suits the individual. For example, I’ve been low carb for over a decade and am now zero (carnivore). The author claims that insulin is a ‘satiety’ hormone, but for someone like me who secretes too much insulin, it’s exactly the opposite–more insulin = incredible hunger for me.

Not understanding that kept me morbidly obese most of my life–and feeling powerless to change things.

Going very low carb, I’ve not only lost close to 180 lbs (post-menopausal!), but I’ve kept that weight off for over 8 years now. All my labs are great; my body seems to thrive on very, very low carb.

I don’t advocate the way I eat for anyone else; I just suggest that for effective weight management, the person has to understand how his/her body ‘works’ and find or develop a way of eating that enables effective weight management.

I’ve found mine, and no articles that claim this is ‘bad’ for me will change my mind.

(Solomom A) #6

They prescribed the LoFat for the world sending diabetes rates over ten fold in a generation but as soon as you bring up LCHF then they remember we are all different. Many practicing LCHF started with severe metabolic issues. Let’s hope the Science will keep growing. Some do add severe caloric restrictions to KETO which cause several issues.

The old question: “Who is they”? Is this group the same they as the they that prescribed low fat?

(Ben) #8

Well I could quote another part

Yet because low-carb diets can significantly disrupt hormone production, women with too-low carb intakes — especially active women — can face:
a stopped or irregular menstrual cycle;
lowered fertility;
hypoglycemia and blood sugar swings;
more body fat (especially around the middle);
loss of bone density;
anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues;
chronic inflammation and worse chronic pain;
chronic fatigue and disrupted sleep; and
a host of other chronic problems…

This is the opposite of what I have seen reported by members of this forum, and others, and of what the likes of Doc Nally says he sees clinically…

The title of the article is “Why low-carb diets have got it all wrong”. It seems to me that the author has low carb diets all wrong.

(Pamela galli) #9

I can buy the premise, except I am not doing keto just for weight loss but for the benefit of using ketones as an alternative energy source – re Alzheimer’s, cancer, eand a host of other conditions I have already seen healed. That means very low carb.

(Meeping up the Science!) #10

There are dozens (probably hundreds) of pages of science on these forums that dispute a lot of it, anecdotal information aside.

I mean, while everyone is different, everyone is still subject to biochemistry. There might be a range of variation, however the mechanisms still function much the same. That’s why often skinny people who eat the standard American diet get heart attacks despite their “healthy carbs.” There are also legions of skinny T2 diabetics, caused by the perfect storm of genetics and diet.

The lucky ones get fat eating a high-carb diet, because the obesity prompts change. Many people get diseases of modern civilization (T2D, CVD, etc) and are none the wiser until it’s too late.

As for exercise and ketosis, search for performance athletes and ketosis. Many specifically are keto for the sake of performance.

(Shelley Somerville) #11

Well, after only two months, I’ve lost 45 lbs - the first time a diet has really worked in more than 20 years. Then again I believe it’s all about individual response; back then it was the keto-style Atkin’s Diet, so mild-moderate ketosis - I avoid the A1C problem level - works for me and my lab stats are perfect.