Why isn't keto working for me

(Bronny) #1

I have almost finished my fourth week on keto. I stared at 110.9kg. Within a week I lost 2.4kg, which I know is waterweight. I have stuck to a strict keto diet, even tried intermittent fasting for one week changing it up to OMAD. Which I coped well, to the beef and butter fasting to not exercising for two weeks. Drinking at least 2.2litres of water a day. In the beginning my ketone levels sat between 1.5 and 2.9mmols. Now week 4 they are anywhere between 0.5 to 1.5. I have lost nothing since my water weight, in fact it fluctuates up then back down to my water lost weight. I am just so confused by it all… I am trying to trust the process but hearing everyone else’s success with similar weight to loose leaves at a point of just about throwing my hands up and saying well I guess it’s just not for me. I don’t know if it’s in my head but I feel like I have lost but this could be just the water weight. Then I have also done a lot of research as to why this could be happening. I have come up with a few possible reasons and that is hormones. Possibly due to leptin sensitivity, to my cortisol levels, to me having PCOS. But how can I possibly know for sure what it is. This week I have started to feel really off like it’s keto flu related. Feeling very fatigued, nauseated, to some tummy upsets. But nothing I have excessively changed. I start the day with ACV with chilli, lemon juice and 1/4 tsp of salt. Then I may do a small amount of exercise as I am not up to doing levels of circuit training. But haven’t done this for 2.5 weeks. Followed by bulletproof coffee with collagen peptide and MCT oil, I was also was having 1’tablespoon of butter but have recently stopped putting this in thinking my fats maybe too high. I am not up to date with such intense tracking of macros so I follow a meal plan suggested for me, but I haven’t followed this for a while as I was seeing no results beyond the 2.4 kg loss. Thats why I tried intermittent fasting and doing the beef and fat diet for 6’days. Should I be doing more intense exercise now like weight lifting, cycling or HIIT training. How many days a week should I be doing this for and for what duration. I am comfortable doing the 18 - 20 hour fast with an eating window of 6 - 4 hour eating window. I may have a small palm sized steak with butter and salad to doing up,a mince dish with green leafy vegetables and perhaps some mushrooms, zucchini, onion and sometimes capsicum. I add chilli to it to help with my metabolism. I have the a basic bacon and eggs with avocardo, or an omelette with spinach tomato and cheese. I was also seriously thinking to give the egg fast a whirl and see if that helps. I am 47 years old. Just what the heck am I doing wrong, I mean why isn’t this working for me. Any comforting suggestions to help me get on my way. I want to get below 100kg by the end of August as my first milestone. My weight won’t budge below 108kg. But so far not happening. Thanks guys.

(Karen) #2

I’m seeing all kinds of things that might be slowing you down. I think doing an egg fast, for you, might be a good plan just to make sure you’re solidly going in the right direction.
:fried_egg: :egg: :fried_egg: :egg: :egg: :fried_egg: :egg: :fried_egg: :fried_egg: :egg: :egg: :fried_egg: :egg: :fried_egg:

(Bronny) #3

Thanks Karen, I really appreciate your input. I think this will have to be my next point of attack.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #4

What are you eating?
Maybe you aren’t eating enough. Could you post a more detailed version of your meals? Onion and tomato have a fair amount of carbs, so be careful with those.

I’d start of with:

• Holding off on exercise
  • Eating less than 20g carbs
  • Eating enough food (don’t restrict calories)
  • Get enough sleep
  • Stay hydrated
  • Have proper salt intake

The 18/6 meal window is fine, is it’s what you are comfortable with. Just keep it simple. Eat enough fat and protein and limit the carbs and it should work.

If you give height and weight we might be better able to help you figure it out.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Hi Bronny, don’t throw your hands in the air and give up, it sounds like you have several health challenges and some metabolic derangement that will sort out in time, KETO isn’t an Instant fix.

First off I will mention your keto flu, up your salt intake, you should be having 2-3 teaspoons of salt or 10-15 grams daily. You can supplement magnesium also, magnesium citrate liquid or magnesium glycinate are good choices. Your fluid intake looks spot on.

It’s kind of early to start incorporating OMAD in my opinion, stick with TMAD for a while since you’re comfortable with that, too much fasting and not eating enough at the beginning can slow your metabolism and stall any fat loss IMHO.

I would drop fatty coffee as a meal replacement and focus on actual food. BPC is more effective as a maintenance thing and not always great for weight loss. Don’t add fat to your diet in an attempt to hit a fat macro, if you’re consuming too much fats you won’t burn your own body fat until what you’ve eaten has been used up. This could be one of your main issues I think. Black coffee or plain tea is more appropriate during a fasting window on TMAD or OMAD.

Are you using a tracking app to learn what the content of your daily foods amount to? I recommend Cronometer. Keeping net carbs at <20 grams per day is highly recommended.

Your lower ketone levels indicate you are getting more efficient at using those ketones, above 0.5 mmol is dietary ketosis and higher levels don’t equal more weight loss.

I think your current activity level is ok, I would stick with that and not add more intense training just yet.

You’re focusing on the scale not moving, do you clothes fit any differently, getting looser? KETO is a diet where body recomposition is part of the picture. You may be loosing fat and gaining muscle and bone mass which is good. After all a more healthy body fat percentage is what you want, not just weight loss. These things take time for some people.

I wish you success in your KETO journey.

:cowboy_hat_face:

I know it can seem like a pain in the ass, but I’d really encourage you to measure and track everything you’re eating for at least a week, preferably two. I’m not saying you have to do it forever, but this will give you much better information about what you’re really eating. I think people who are starting out don’t always estimate portion sizes well, if they’re not measuring everything (weighing is best if you have a kitchen scale). You can end up eating a lot more carbs than you think, especially from things like condiments or things that seem fairly innocent like onions and tomatoes. This will also arm you with some real data: Are you under-eating? Are you over-eating? Are you getting enough protein? Are you really eating under 20g carbs?

Aside from that, I think @KetoCancerMom’s list is a good one. Minimize HIIT, get lots of sleep, etc.

(Bronny) #7

Wow, I am just so overwhelmed with the heart felt responses. My height is 5’6". I use a combo blood glucose and ketone monitor by Freestyle optimum Neo. As for additives like onion and tomato I would add a 1/4 cup of each and 1/2 cup of cheese to 2 eggs scrambled. I currently take magnesium glycinate at night and I have my omega 3 fish oil in the morning. I also take super enzymes with each meal. I think you are right, maybe I am grasping at this too tightly and my restrictive calories could be the problem. I guess I’m just fearful that it could have the opposite affect having a higher fat intake. Particularly when it comes to butter. Perhaps my salt intake is lacking, although I do try and salt things up with my meals. I am probably trying to run a mile before I know how to even walk. Going in too early with what others has referred to as a maintenance type of keto. I shall take on board all of your kind suggestions, and I will keep you posted. What a great community this is. Thank you all so much from the bottom of my :heart:.

(Bronny) #8

Just wanted to personally say thank you for your great ideas and suggestions to my issues. I will definitely take all that you have said into consideration. Many thanks.

(Bronny) #9

Hi Dave, Thank you so much for your great ideas and suggestions. Your understanding to my issues are very heat felt and I appreciate them very much. I will take on board all that you have said.

Being in ketosis is no guarantee of weight loss. You can even gain weight on ketosis.

Ketosis is driven by carb restriction. Weight loss is driven by caloric restriction (which is slow and non-linear). For many, ketosis just makes caloric restriction easier because a false sense hunger is no longer being created by carbs and insulin.

Have you looked at what your macros should be? My take is there are two priorities:

• Keeps carbs low, because that’s what keeps you in ketosis
  • Make sure you get enough proteins, because your body needs them

After that, ideally, hunger should drive how many fats and calories you should be eating. You shouldn’t be eating fat just for fat’s sake.

My keto mantra is “Minimal carbs. Adequate protein. Fats as needed (for satiety).”

(Bronny) #11

Thank you for your kind input. Your explaination of these arising issues makes a lot of sense and I appreciate you reaching out. Have much to re-evaluate and perhaps start over with a clean slate of proper understanding. Many thanks.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

You aren’t starting over, we all learned as we go through this journey, I am glad you found the advice informative. Just remember it is a journey as an individual and we all had to find the groove that fits us best, and when you get that a few months later you may need to tweak it more, it’s a continuous process all the way and including when you reach maintenance and age or when activity levels change.

(Libby) #13

Hey Bronny!

If it makes you feel any better, I am almost 7 months into this thing and feel like … at first it was like the train was revving its engine “All Aboard!” but still in neutral and then it just eased ever so slightly out of the station but not so fast Gramma couldn’t hop on and it seemed some days like it was backing up so that Grampa with his walker could catch it too… then it started to go a little easier and better but still not going very fast at all: a spry experienced hobo could have easily made the leap, and then it was like I was going up hill with all gears engaged so that it was just an endurance and determination grind and now finally, finally! at 6.5 months plus one week I did my second fast and I am, it seems, running on a flat track going around the mountain 20 pounds lighter. Which may not seem like much but it sure beats the heck out of gaining 20 pounds. Also, the shapeliness! I have been doing a fair amount of heavy labor but the muscle gain is astounding. So, like I said, if it makes you feel any better some of us have a darned slow start but eventually it seems worth it. I know if I keep at it I will be at my goal weight. There might be more hills in my future and maybe a deer or two on the tracks, but right now I feel extremely happy with keto.

I do terribly lazy keto, trying to keep mainly carnivore but have re-allowed a few vegies for the summer. I probably drink too much alcohol but that is a quality of life issue for me. ( I go many days without it.) So could be I’m throwing obstacles in my train’s path. I don’t use sweeteners and I don’t take any oily supplements. I do take herbs and spices and electrolytes. Sporadically. I plan to fast more. I just started doing this fasting thing. I wouldn’t have been able to in the first months. Not comfortably. I’ve always eaten twice per day even pre-keto but occasionally now I will do one meal per day and feel perfectly happy. I eat quite a lot when I do eat. I don’t snack.

Reading more about what carbohydrate consumption DOES to you is highly motivating, too. Just on general principle one should avoid them, let alone weight loss.

:grinning: Carry on

(Susan) #14

Welcome to the forum Bronny.

Please don’t give up, because Keto is awesome and it works, it just sometimes takes a little while to do it right (I know I was making a lot of mistakes at the beginning and got frustrated too). Once you get a handle on it and what works for you personally (different things can help and/or slow different people down, we are all unique!) then you will love Keto and feel great. It does take time; remember it didn’t take you just a month or so to gain it all, so it will take time to lose it all (and keep it off). If you go slow and steady, and follow your body for directions, it will come off, and stay off if you stay on track! This forum is wonderful for support and guidance in how to do this.

(Bronny) #15

Wow Libby, your story truly has brought a smile to my face. One that I can finally relate to. This forum is truly amazing and inspiring. I am so glad that I have finally stubbled across it. Much congrats to you Libby on your success so far. It gives me much hope to keep going forward. And many thanks for reaching out and sharing your much related story.

(Bronny) #16

Hey Dave, your words of encouragement was spoken like a true keto expert. Words cannot describe just how greatful I am for you and the rest of the people who are embarking on this keto journey and have become experts in there own right and are so willing to share. It has certainly lifted my spirits. So much love and appreciation all.

(Bronny) #17

Hi Susan. Thank you so much for your insightful input and encouragement. Such a wonderful forum to discover. I truly appreciate you reaching out.

(Tony ) #18

Hey there, hang on in. Its too early yet.
I also have the same meter, and also a breath meter and also ketone sticks. The highest ketones I ever got to was point seven - once, point five - once, and lots of point threes, but still lost weight. Although I have now lost over 66lbs, it happened in steps, down 2-3 lbs over a week then nothing much happened for a few weeks, and then it dropped again another 2-3 lbs and it just kept cycling downwards . Just hang on in, do your food research, ( youtube is excellent for keto info) and read those nutrition labels. You Will lose weight .!!

(Jeramy Koval) #19

I agree with others that have suggested keeping a food log. Your initial goal should be getting fat adapted. Fasting can definitely help get you there just make sure you aren’t derailing yourself somewhere. Anything with calories in n it will break a fast. Even supplements like fish oils.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

Coffee has a small amount of carbohydrates but many use it during fasting. It’s insignificant.

I’m not sure about a couple fish oil caps breaking a fast Jeramy. The absolute most important things to not have during fasting are carbs and protein.

Fat doesn’t spike insulin in a significant way, and the amount of dietary fat in a couple gel caps of fish oil isn’t going to halt burning body fat, it might slow it down in a minuscule amount for a very short period of time but I really don’t believe that it would be significant.

Fasting has three main goals, fat burning, skin, protein and cell recycling, and metabolic and disease healing. For maximum autophagy and healing purposes you want just water and salt but that has to do with recycling protein while fat burning at the maximum rate and crushing insulin output.

If you’re burning out while on a fast and need to keep activity up it might be more productive to take a little fat like coconut oil or MCT and continue the fast still getting some protein recycling autophagy benefits rather than eating early and halting the process completely.

Our bodies are more complex than simple and the way your metabolism works isn’t so cut and dry. I would like to hear from anyone who knows different because fasting beyond TMAD is something I am about to start incorporating. So I would appreciate anything that helps me get it right.