Why isn't keto working for me

(Jill F.) #21

Hi there @ketodriven! Welcome to the forum. Stick around there is always good support here.
I just turned 45 and post menopausal and I don’t have all of the same health concerns you do but I know the struggle is real. I only lost about 4 pounds my 1st month, and my hubby had lost 10 in the same time. I have lost 40 pounds in 6 months and I will tell you some things that helped me.

1. I used app Carb Manager RELIGIOISLY for 1st 3 months to teach me what carbs were really in my food. Without it I would have way over eaten carbs, it is not hard to do.
  2. I measured everything and ate at home a lot. I measured 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 4 oz of meat, everything.
  3. I did not do heavy exercise at all. I do yoga about 2x a week and I did exercise bike 3x a week for 30 min. Most of keto success for me has come from my diet.
  4. I view it as a lifestyle change. It is not a diet for me. Everytime I have ever dieted I gained it all back. I make healthy choices every meal everyday and it makes it so much easier than feeling like I am on a diet.
  5. I did not start intermittent fasting until 4 to 6 weeks in. Even now if i wake up hungry I eat, so I dont IF everyday but most days I do.
  6. I kept a notebook with my measurements and weight in it. I used a sewing measuring tape and measured my arms, waist, chest, hips, thighs and calves. Almost every week that the scale didnt move the tape measure did! In fact I have lost almost as many inches as I have pounds and that non scale victory progress kept me going!
  7. I had to track my macros and my calories. I had better success when I ate less than 1200 calories a day and in fact I do eat to satiety and eat many less than that without even trying. Always eat when hungry just keep it keto!
  8. I am just starting maintenance mode and it is a challenge. I am still eating very keto but not as strict as before. I may always have to track on an app just to hold myself accountable and that’s ok.
    Again welcome, I hope some of this helps! If you need anything let us know!