Why is zero so different?

What you are doing is great though - you are trying different approaches and tracking what happens. Hopefully, you are keeping good notes because it is so easy to forget! Keep tinkering and trialling something new for say a month at a time.

There is something that balances out re your protein question. I do not have the science at my finger tips. Maybe go to the Carnivore section and ask @amber who is the absolute go to on all things ZC/Carnivore. The lecture that she gave at KetoFest was fab and should be up on YouTube soon so you can check it out. You might want to track down the podcasts she has been on. I forget which ones now apart form 2KD but she was on one just recently. Maybe she could give you a list.

I know what you mean re ZC groups. It might well be that you havenā€™t found the right one yet or the right ZCer to discuss it with. I get the evangelical aspect of finding something that works so well for you that you want to shout it from the rooftops and make everyone do the same. However, life is messy and we are all different. Why donā€™t you make your next trial a mix and match of keto and ZC each week and see what happens. You could factor in then your social times to be within keto and days on ZC. Whether this has an impact on the protein question would be another question for @amber.

Do you get bloated with everything else? You could use your period of ZC as a way to test your reaction to foods. @Brenda did this. Using ZC, especially without dairy, is a great way to do an exclusion diet. She kept things really pure and simple and just ate steak if you remember! But how great is that as a base line to then test the hell out of everything afterwards? maybe that would be a good next project and you can draw yourself up a list of all the foods with reactions next to them. This is another thing that I would like to do properly. Such a useful exercise and a way to decide whether that mountain of clotted cream is worth a coldy feeling the next day! It is FYI!!! Annoying enough that you donā€™t want to be doing it all the time though. Re your bloated feeling - if you could narrow that down to specifics, it would be really useful no? Same with the lactose as we were discussing earlier.

I detest the tedious nature of tracking plus it is annoying for me to do as I donā€™t have a mobile phone so ballache! I like the idea of a list of foods, tailored to me and listed in different categories. Like a traffic light system say. I have been weighing and noting content of foods on and off for so long that I am pretty good at guesstimating well enough to avoid the trackers. Very useful in bursts of experiment though. All this chat is firing me up to get down to it myself! So what is your next move?

(What The Fast?!) #42

WAITā€¦You donā€™t have a MOBILE PHONE??? How? Why? Ahh!!!

Re: Brenda - sheā€™s insane amazing. Yes, I agree that if I decide to go off ZC at the end of a month, Iā€™ll definitely want to do some testing! Iā€™d like to test sweeteners for sureā€¦though I think life might be easier without them. I used to make a cup of faux-cocoa almost every night (water, 1T of heavy cream, baking cocoa, and stevia or erythritol). Itā€™s been VERY hard to not have anything sweet, especially with my b/f eating loads of Halo Top! I will probably do some testing like Brenda did though.

Re: Amber - sheā€™s incredible and so knowledgeable in the ZC world! I actually direct messaged her with a few questions, I think sheā€™s probably super busy after KetoFest. Iā€™ll look up her talk though ASAP!! Iā€™m hoping she has some insight because I could really use it!

Re: bloatingā€¦honestly, I think itā€™s just vegetables. Even before ZC and keto, I would forever get bloated from vegetables. I LOOOOVE them. But, I think my body has been telling me for a long time that they should be a side dish, not a main course. ZC is really proving that right for me! I had one of those delayed reaction food tests done a couple years ago and I showed intolerance to almost every vegetable. Garlic too. What a pain! I canā€™t find the list but I want to go find it and see exactly what they were. I also tested high for gluten, eggs, and casein though. Whatā€™s really interesting is that I stopped eating all animal products for three months (Jan - March of this year) and I was scared to reintroduce eggs, but when I did, I was totally fine, so Iā€™m not sure how accurate those tests areā€¦ I also went gluten free for awhile and was totally fine when I added gluten back in. (Honestly, my body LOVES gluten. When Iā€™m eating whole grains is the only time I donā€™t seem to have :poop: problems. Hilarious, I know.)

My goal is to be able to STOP TRACKING. I donā€™t want to live my life like this - always calculating ounces and macros. I just want to eat food and be happyā€¦and maybe if I was okay with these extra 20#, I couldā€¦but alas, Iā€™m not. And Iā€™ll be a lot faster on the bike with them gone! :smiley:

Thanks for all your advice @Daisy. Seriously!

Well it is a bit of a lie. I do have one but it is an ancient hand me down and I only use it when I go back to the UK. I have no reception in my house so not much point. I am gardener so I am pretty sure it would end up lost in a field somewhere if I carried it around - which would actually be a good idea as I work on my own mostly and worry slightly about accidents. I am used to not having one though.

There are different levels of tolerance and it can easily be the case that avoiding something for a while is enough to be able to eat it again, especially if you go easy on quantity. Interesting what you say about grains as that is the usual number one suspect for bloating and all sorts of inflammatory responses. Shows how very different we all are.

Amber discussed an interesting point about tolerance actually. She was talking along the lines of how we are all basically better off without carbs (I think - my memory is not great) but that the difference was levels of tolerance. So she has really low levels and the impact is noticeable and enough to keep her avoiding them. Other people will react to them but their level of tolerance is such that any impact is acceptable to them. But the take home I got was that we are all impacted and probably not in a good way.

I would definitely take the opportunity to do some testing if you have been a month ZC - too good to miss.