Why is this not ketosis

(Ivy) #1

94 glucose
0.4 ketones

I usually have readings around these numbers and stay on ketosis

I have Keto Mojo.

Did I no draw enough blood, or test too early?

Fat metabolism doesn’t equal ketogenesis(ketone production). Your mitochondria are burning fatty acids directly as fuel.

It would be very inefficient for the liver to produce ketones for the whole body.

(Ivy) #3

So even though I was not in ketosis today, it doesnt matter? What did I do or not do?

(Ivy) #4

Hi an you help me understand what it is you're sayong? I thought if I went over 20 carbs or didnt get a good gki readings they were about the same thing

Your post is why I believe that the word “ketogenesis” is not the word to use for lipid metabolism. People in the keto world use the word “ketogenesis/ketosis” interchangeably with lipid metabolism and this is very misleading.

Ketogenesis is survival metabolism. It isn’t normal for animals to have access to food all the time and overeating on fat is just as detrimental as overeating on carbs. It keeps growth hormone levels low and muscle mass decreases but you sound like you’re following your satiation signals and are physically active.

Lack of fat on the face is a sign of growth hormone deficiency. In most people… growth hormone levels rise eventually after a meal when insulin has decreased while in others like myself they don’t.

(Ivy) #6

So gki has what to do with fat adaptation?

(Ivy) #7

re you talking about my face

(Ivy) #8

we cant measure growth hormone though, only thru attempted exercise?

So what is it youre getting at? Im asking if my gki matters or ketone readings or glucose ones. Not anything else, though I can enjoy learning

Goal: get fat adapted

just wondering what happens if you get a weird reading one day but tried to stay under 20 gr carbs a day. is it because i didnt eat enough protein in my meal? Today was the first day I tried that, very very low protein first meal of the day. I also had some sugar from the eanut butter, which I had more than usual and not totally sure if went over 20 gr or not.

(Ivy) #9

My question is:
Did I do something wrong?

Glucose went up to 126 post 3 hours of meal

Gki went to 23

(Eric) #10

If there was actual sugar in your peanut butter that could be the cause. Might also want to consider a brand of peanut butter that is more natural without added sugar or hydrogenated fats (avoid Jif, Skippy etc). Are you tracking your carbs in something like Cronometer? If not, it will make it more difficult to know if you are hitting your targets and something is definitely off with those GKI scores in my opinion. The highest my GKI ever went was 7.7 and I track everything.

(Ivy) #11

It was Teddies natural peanut butter. I had one to two typhoons of yogurt as all that had sugar in my meal. What did I do wrong? I still have another spare meal to fill today.

(Ivy) #12

Do you mean the meter not working right? Or too much natural sugar? Over 20 carb? Any of these, am I correct?

(Eric) #13

Looks like Teddies is 7g Carbs per 2Tablespoon with 3g of Fiber so definitely a decent amount of carbs there. If you ate a lot of that you would hit close to 20 pretty quickly. Add in yogurt and you probably went over 20g of carbs. By a typhoon of yogurt, do you mean a home kit? If the latter, what did you put in the yogurt? Keep in mind that milk is not exactly low carb, unlike heavy cream. It wouldn’t take long to go over 20g with 2 typhoons of yogurt and peanut butter. It’s why tracking things is helpful. I can’t speak to the meter not working right. Does your kit have a calibration drops?

(Ivy) #14

Lol. I meant 2 teaspoons.

(Ivy) #15

So is this what is accumulating info points to as a cheat meal on accident, as we are aware? What did I do wrong?

(Ivy) #16

The heck does this have to do with what I’m asking??

(Eric) #17

Without knowing what you are eating and how much, all anyone can do is give a best guess. Carbs can add up pretty quickly and especially in my first 2 months, I tracked everything. Bought a kitchen scale and weighed everything to the gram. Is that required? No. For some people with a history of dieting this can push buttons for them and may not work. For me, it helped it all make more sense like a math equation. Eat less than 20g of carbs and keep my ratios to X amount. I tracked and modeled everything. Thinking about dinner, I entered it in to see how it affected my Macros. Something too high or too low, I modified my plan. Despite all of that I admit that I was not perfect early on. I drank a couple of glasses of wine a few times my first month. Despite that, I managed to make progress. That said, I was usually under 20g and often under 15g of net carbs. this is contentious and not something that everyone agrees on (net vs. total). Are you tracking or guessing that you are under 20g?

(Ivy) #18

I’m asking if I did anything --S in a cheat meal by accident–wrong. Not anything else.

Eating more fat doesn’t increase ketones for the purpose of fueling the body. Fasting is the only way to increase ketones to fuel the body.

Ketones produced from eating excess fat is to prevent the detrimental effects from overeating fat.

(Ivy) #20

So did I drop out of ketosis from sugar in nut butter, or carbs, or we just can’t tell