Why is this not ketosis

(Ivy) #21

I’m guessing I was, and not sure, but probably not if I’m not in ketosis? I usually am 4 g carbs a day but stressed out lately so it’s been high.

(Ivy) #22

Nobody seems to know about an answer, though.

(Ivy) #23

One study states women need at least 4 gr carbs a day

(Ivy) #24

Is keto mojo ever wrong??

(Eric) #25

Anything is possible. Have you tried calibrating? Have your tried a second test to see if the result is the same? There is a margin of error for all of these testing devices but its usually a ± of 10%. Without knowing your actual carbs how can anyone give you an answer. Also stress can make your blood sugar go up and you indicated your were stressed out lately and it’s been high. Are you saying your carbs have been high? If so, how high?

Perhaps if you posted what you actually ate for the day it might help to see what might be affecting your scores. If all you ate was 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and 2 teaspoons of yogurt that would probably not put you over 20g for the day

(Ivy) #26

I think 1/4 cup of peanut butter
, 1-2 tsp yogurt, palm sized portion of tallow,
4 oz chicken
1/2 cup flaxmeal
1 tab butter
More tallow and some keto milk [<1 carb] to mix flaxmeal
3 1"cubes skellig cheese
2 slices Fathead Pizza with 1 tsp vegan nooch
Tallow with a drop of ketchup as topping

Black garlic powder which I don’t know the carbs for

The GKI number would be misleading if taken after a meal because feeding reduces ketones. Are you trying to lose weight?

(Ivy) #28

If you say trying, what I am trying to do is To get fat adapted

(Ivy) #29

Read about when to test post meal on alot of Google search result

You’re not going to do it by staring into a computer screen which increases cortisol. Especially if your device screens flicker with PWM. There’s flicker free monitors available if you didn’t know.

I’m getting off the computer for today because I can feel the unnatural hunger coming on.

My definition of optimal fat burning is… an urge to stand and an inability to sit down. Hence why we humans stand upright. No ketone meter required.

(Ivy) #31

I did the overage on purpose because I am venting from this forum tho no offense LOL

(Ivy) #32

What is calibration drops?

(Ivy) #33

I’m only overeating to the point I’m hitting enough kcals. I’m actually low on apperite everyday. I’m waiting for when I can lower my calories, but I haven’t been told I can do that yet.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #34

Ketogenesis is the process of partially metabolising fatty acids to get ketone bodies. The human body produces three: acetoacetate and acetone, which are actual ketones, and β-hydroxybutyrate, which lacks the chemical properties of an actual ketone, hence the use of the term “ketone bodies” to include it.

Fatty acid metabolism does not stop at producing ketones, but goes all the way to producing ATP, water, and carbon dioxide.

Human beings are the only mammals that slip into ketosis easily. For all other mammals, you are right, ketosis only occurs late in the process of starvation.

I am confused by your mention of “growth hormone deficiency.” The human body produces several growth hormones. Insulin is one of them, as are IGF-1 and -2, and HGH. The levels are coordinated according to the circumstances obtaining in the human body at any given moment.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #35

Fat adaptation is caused by eating a well-formulated ketogenic diet for sufficiently long for your mitochondria to heal and for certain chemical pathways in muscle cells to be reactivated.

A well-formulated ketogenic diet consists of under 20 g of carbohydrate a day, 1.0-1.5 g of protein/kg of lean body mass/day, plus enough fat to satisfy your hunger. Try eating such a diet, and let us know how it works for you.

(Ivy) #36

LivelyReversal mentioned it, where I asked why she did. Didnt mean to mention it to anyone but her

Eating more fat does not increase ketones substantially as indicated by many on here including @ctviggen unless we consume caffeine.

Growth hormone is only released in a fasted state. Feeding always inhibits growth hormone release.
Regulation of Growth Hormone Secretion

Her?? :sweat_smile:

(Ivy) #39

Oh Ok I get it now sorry about the other post my calculator apparently wasnt working right. I should eat 88 gr protein please!

lol

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #40

@anon94382398 Actually, eating more fat does indeed produce more ketones. That’s because ketones are produced in the liver only when there are more fatty acids available for metabolizing than the liver has acetyl CoA to metabolize it fully. So instead of just passing it through wasted, it partially oxidizes the excess to ketones - acetoacetate initially. Acetoacetate in turn spontaneously converts to/from β-hydroxybutyrate and breaks down into acetone and CO2.

As one’s fat adaptation matures over time, the various skeletal muscles learn to utilize fatty acids directly which in turn reduces the amount that gets to the liver. This in turn leads to less fatty acid ‘overload’ in the liver and a decrease in ketones. This is why most of us who have been in ketosis for years measure only low ketones unless we ramp up fat intake.

PS: Thanks for the link re caffeine. Another great excuse to continue drinking coffee!